Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my '07 FJ and was looking to do my first off-roading. My girlfriend and I were near Wharton State Forrest so I plugged the address to Batsto into my GPS. It made me take a right off 206 onto a dirt road called Daves(?). It looked like there were some cranberry fields or some type of water to my right.

We continued about a half mile down the road and it started to get real tight with a bunch of dips in the road into these icy puddles. Sometimes the ice was breaking, sometimes it wasn't. I assumed they weren't that deep since this was supposed to be the road to Batsto.

We came up on a pretty long looking puddle and I gunned it... we sunk right in! We were stuck right up to the bottom of the truck.. back wheels spinning, front wheels not moving. I tried everything I could think of as it got dark in 19 degree weather.

I ended up calling the State Park Police and they came and pulled me out! Great bunch of guys!

It was definitely a scary first off-roading experience but I want to do it the right way next time. I want to go with a group of people that can show me some trails for the newbies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depending on where you live, Rausch Creek is an option. It is located in Tremont, PA. A few of us went there yesterday and had a great time, was about 2-2.5 hours for me and a couple hours for one of the other guys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought my '07 FJ and was looking to do my first off-roading. My girlfriend and I were near Wharton State Forrest so I plugged the address to Batsto into my GPS. It made me take a right off 206 onto a dirt road called Daves(?). It looked like there were some cranberry fields or some type of water to my right.

We continued about a half mile down the road and it started to get real tight with a bunch of dips in the road into these icy puddles. Sometimes the ice was breaking, sometimes it wasn't. I assumed they weren't that deep since this was supposed to be the road to Batsto.

We came up on a pretty long looking puddle and I gunned it... we sunk right in! We were stuck right up to the bottom of the truck.. back wheels spinning, front wheels not moving. I tried everything I could think of as it got dark in 19 degree weather.

I ended up calling the State Park Police and they came and pulled me out! Great bunch of guys!

It was definitely a scary first off-roading experience but I want to do it the right way next time. I want to go with a group of people that can show me some trails for the newbies.
Haha, yeahh thats the pines for ya :clap:!! Join us on our run I'm hosting on the 12th!! Heres the link to the info!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/north-east-region/122319-2-12-11-piney-run.html#post1817528

·
Registered
297 Posts
I never dive into a mud hole I'm not familiar with without checking it out first. I've seen WAY too many guys throw their truck into a hole, only to be shocked it was so deep. Good way to ruin an engine real quick. Makes great videos though!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh, and yeah, I agree with Dan. Rausch Creek is a great offroad park.

Watch out for some of those mud holes though. There's some deep ones!

My Vid:

My 7 yr old son's vid (he has a blast wheeling):

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first time was the exact same thing. I made that turn off 206 and the next thing I knew, I was hitting puddle after puddle on that tight trail with all of the humps. Luckily, I didn't get stuck.

Come out on the 12th and you won't be stuck for long!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
thats' why i got my winch and bumper... always better to wheel with a buddy and their vehicle, but just in case, be self sufficient !...

:bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts