Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We cancelled our international trip for spring break with the kids. Thinking of heading up to Arches/Moab/Canyonlands with the kids. Any recommended places to stay/see? Weather doesn't' seem great there, but March 14-18 seem dry enough. Friend told me about Dinasaour National Monument and Flaming Gorge.

Any help from locals would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Delicate arch is quite the hike, not sure how old your kids are but use your judgement if you decided to do it. The drive thru arches is awesome since you can see alot from just the main road. The town of Moab itself is really cool with lots of attractions.

Besides that all I know are trails! Went to canyonlands once for a trail there, besides that couldn't tell you much about that park other than its huge!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delicate arch is quite the hike, not sure how old your kids are but use your judgement if you decided to do it. The drive thru arches is awesome since you can see alot from just the main road. The town of Moab itself is really cool with lots of attractions.

Besides that all I know are trails! Went to canyonlands once for a trail there, besides that couldn't tell you much about that park other than its huge!
Appreciate it. Kids are under 10. Moderate hike is ok. Not looking for hardcore. Some light trails will be fun, as they enjoy that. I will look up the drive through arches! Any particular thing in Moab you recommend?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't mind an overnight stay on the trail and if you are not traveling with pets, then the White Rim Rd. in Canyonlands is an awesome place to go.
Ovenright stay out there, perfectly acceptable and encouraged. No pets. barely have time for humans.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Appreciate it. Kids are under 10. Moderate hike is ok. Not looking for hardcore. Some light trails will be fun, as they enjoy that. I will look up the drive through arches! Any particular thing in Moab you recommend?
So yeah they might be up for a decent hike. Weather won't be too hot either. I have not done many touristy things in town myself besides a few restaurants and ice cream shops. A good easy trail would be La Sal pass. Takes you into some nearby mountains and back into town. Its somewhat long, if you make alot of stops for pics it could take most of a day. There are some places to camp along it as well. I have camped Geyser pass road.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yeah they might be up for a decent hike. Weather won't be too hot either. I have not done many touristy things in town myself besides a few restaurants and ice cream shops. A good easy trail would be La Sal pass. Takes you into some nearby mountains and back into town. Its somewhat long, if you make alot of stops for pics it could take most of a day. There are some places to camp along it as well. I have camped Geyser pass road.

Excellent! Thanks. We will do some "glamping" for the first time in Zion. Kids are excited.

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There is no way dirt roads through the LaSal Mtns are going to be open at Spring Break. All that stuff at treeline will have 4 to 5 feet of snow minimum plus large drifting in places. Dont waste your time at Dinosaur. Its pretty, but completely in the middle of nowhere and a good portion of the scenic roads are seasonal. March/Apr/May are mud season and a whole lot of stuff is closed.

Moab will be nice. Canyonlands will be nice, Zion is a must do. Bryce Canyon is beautiful, but very high up (like 8800-9100 ft) and probably very seasonal (research that). After visiting Zion and/or Bryce (if open), drive up Utah Hwy 12 to reach Torrey, UT and Capitol Reef National Park (way more scenic). And then head over to Green River UT/Moab. All that GJ, Dinosaur, Flaming Gorge loop stuff.....complete waste of time. Nothing out there except sage, pinons, juniper and snow and mud that time of year.

Highway 191 south of Moab down the east side of UT, then heading over to Hwy 163 (monument valley) is pretty spectacular as well as a potential way back.

Springtime can be funny in the desert southwest...can be hot or freezing and snowy. Back in my college days (80s) we drove from Boulder, CO down to Grand Canyon and then Phoenix. Copper Mountain in Colorado had snowslides that blocked I-70 and we had to wait for it to open. Wolf Creek Pass had 150-200" base. Got to south rim of Grand Canyon -- 15" of snow (north rim is closed that time of year). Decided to hike down the snowy trails at the top anyways since we were there. Got to nearly bottom was almost 75 degrees. Got wicked sunburn and barely made it back to the rim by nightfall on icy trails. Went on to Phoenix -- was 80 degrees.

My point is to prepare for variable weather and have a plan A, plan B and plan C and roll with the punches. March is the snowiest month in Colorado and I suspect probably is also the same in portions of Utah and northern AZ.

We did Zion one summer over 4th of July, then Bryce (which still had some snowbanks) and then Capitol Reef (and then we were going to do Canyonlands and Arches). Kids were ready to mutiny by Capitol Reef and were all "rocked" out by that time so we barely touched Capitol Reef and we skipped Canyonlands and Arches.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you @SilvFx

I will eliminate Dinosaur and Gorge.

We just got a place for Zion. So that will be the first night. From there we will head up to Canyonland/Arches/Moab. I haven't done Capitol Reef before, but will add to list per your suggestion.

I have done the Zion/Bryce/Escalanta/Up to Yellowstone and Glaciaer and Tetons two summers ago it was great. This year we were going to be elsewhere for the break, but the Virus has all flights grounded on the A380 that we were on. So this is happening last minute.

Appreciate your detailed help as always.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
let me just clarify that the drive up Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef is the way more scenic way than going up I-15 the way you had proposed. Not really sure about how scenic Capitol Reef is since we spent about a morning there before the kid mutiny. I know Canyonlands is beautiful. White Rim Road is great (but you are probably better off just going down the Shafer Switchbacks and back up rather than doing the whole route). Can do Islands in the Sky portion and Deadhorse State Park. Moab region and Canyonlands is spectacular dont shortchange yourself on that part.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So jealous! What a great time of year (I'm sure!) to go to Moab. We went last year in July, and I had never been to Utah before and only a couple times to Colorado. So needless to say seeing mountains and Utah's scenery to this midwesterner was quite breathtaking. One thing that comes to mind is going from or coming into Moab you have to take Hwy 128 along the Colorado River. One of THE best drives I've ever taken and is for sure a must see! (we came into town this way from Grand Junction off of I-70)

We stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton right there on Main street and it was nice and fairly reasonable, but I believe the new Hilton should be open by now. There are also places to stay along the Colorado River too that looked quite nice and surrounded by beautiful(!) scenery.

We didn't stay long in Moab, and didn't do a whole lot in town as we were headed to Ouray for The Summit.

For trails, though, be sure to do Fins and Things. There's also a few other trails that aren't too challenging for a stock (non-lifted) FJ, but others I'm sure will chime in on that.

Again, so jealous! Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks my friend @CRAW

highway 128 noted. I picked a place to stay in Moab - will post pics next week how it turns out :)

will add fins n things !

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I would recommend you do the Delicate Arch hike... it's an uphill hike but if my fat ass can do it you and your kids should have no problem. Anyway, the "reveal" when you get to see the arch up close is simply spectacular and well worth it. Not sure how busy Moab is in March, but I would get to the trailhead parking lot before 9 to not have to go to the overflow lots, and beat the buses.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would recommend you do the Delicate Arch hike... it's an uphill hike but if my fat ass can do it you and your kids should have no problem. Anyway, the "reveal" when you get to see the arch up close is simply spectacular and well worth it. Not sure how busy Moab is in March, but I would get to the trailhead parking lot before 9 to not have to go to the overflow lots, and beat the buses.
Delicate arch hike ! Will do . Thanks sir !

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Another fun hike is Corona Arch. It's not in any of the parks so access is easy and free.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thank you for that!
I read the word corona and got scared you were gonna something else

thanks !!!
Hah! I didn't even think of that...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I live for road trips. Not sure how much time you have, but I avoid highway as much as possible on trips like yours. Time permitting you could go thru Death Vally then make your way to Monument Vally and on to Moab. You could spend a day or more in each area though. I feel you get to see much more off the highway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts