Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I live for road trips. Not sure how much time you have, but I avoid highway as much as possible on trips like yours. Time permitting you could go thru Death Vally then make your way to Monument Vally and on to Moab. You could spend a day or more in each area though. I feel you get to see much more off the highway.
I love road trips. We usually do 3 a year, average 1500-2000 miles. We were thinking of stopping by Death valley as well (as long as we can avoid the rain).

We wanted to do Monument Valley, 4 croners, and white sand dunes of New Mexico, but can't on this trip.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
let me just clarify that the drive up Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef is the way more scenic way than going up I-15 the way you had proposed. Not really sure about how scenic Capitol Reef is since we spent about a morning there before the kid mutiny. I know Canyonlands is beautiful. White Rim Road is great (but you are probably better off just going down the Shafer Switchbacks and back up rather than doing the whole route). Can do Islands in the Sky portion and Deadhorse State Park. Moab region and Canyonlands is spectacular dont shortchange yourself on that part.
not a hijack but just a tweak to this suggestion. From Moab enter into Canyonlands on the Potash road. This takes you under Deadhorse State park and along the north side of the Colorado river (where ”Thelma and Louise” made their final drive). This will lead you into the Diamond in the Sky” part of the park and will intersect the White Rim trail. You can choose to hed a bit to the west to see Muscle Man arch, then reverse course and head up the Schaefer switchbacks (uphill is easier and has the right of way). Agree, don‘t bypass Deadhorse State park, it is awesome! You can spend weeks exploring this area.

If you have the time consider heading south towards Monticello to explore the Needles District of Canyonlands...Newspaper Rock, Chesler Loop, Elephant Hill etc.

Capital Reef and Grande Staircase Escalante are awesome...Boulder Utah is a great base camp.

wow, so much to see and so little time.

interested to see what you pick and choose to see. Word of caution, Arches, while stunning, suffers from the increasing malady of being over used (Edward Abbey is rolling over in his grave).

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,934 Posts
I love road trips. We usually do 3 a year, average 1500-2000 miles. We were thinking of stopping by Death valley as well (as long as we can avoid the rain).

We wanted to do Monument Valley, 4 croners, and white sand dunes of New Mexico, but can't on this trip.
White Sands is beautiful, if you head that way check out the Valley of Fires also it’s unbelievable.
6047487B-6531-46DB-BE18-0F7BA613CEDD.jpeg
6047487B-6531-46DB-BE18-0F7BA613CEDD.jpeg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
not a hijack but just a tweak to this suggestion. From Moab enter into Canyonlands on the Potash road. This takes you under Deadhorse State park and along the north side of the Colorado river (where ”Thelma and Louise” made their final drive). This will lead you into the Diamond in the Sky” part of the park and will intersect the White Rim trail. You can choose to hed a bit to the west to see Muscle Man arch, then reverse course and head up the Schaefer switchbacks (uphill is easier and has the right of way). Agree, don‘t bypass Deadhorse State park, it is awesome! You can spend weeks exploring this area.

If you have the time consider heading south towards Monticello to explore the Needles District of Canyonlands...Newspaper Rock, Chesler Loop, Elephant Hill etc.

Capital Reef and Grande Staircase Escalante are awesome...Boulder Utah is a great base camp.

interested to see what you pick and choose to see. Word of caution, Arches, while stunning, suffers from the increasing malady of being over used (Edward Abbey is rolling over in his grave).
Thank you! We have done escalante before and love it

we usually go more north - so more Tetons to glacier

finally we are heading out to arches and that way a bit more

really looking forward to it.
Thank you for the suggestions

printing all this out fRom this thread

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Thank you! We have done escalante before and love it

we usually go more north - so more Tetons to glacier

finally we are heading out to arches and that way a bit more

really looking forward to it.
Thank you for the suggestions

printing all this out fRom this thread

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I thought the hike to Corona arch was more difficult than to Delicate arch. Although, it might be because I had Bronson on my back and there were high temps to Corona.. lol
It is a bit tougher. The ground is rougher and there is the ladder bit, but again if I can do it, most people can. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Had a great time. Consolidated and posted the pics here:

·
Registered
194 Posts
We cancelled our international trip for spring break with the kids. Thinking of heading up to Arches/Moab/Canyonlands with the kids. Any recommended places to stay/see? Weather doesn't' seem great there, but March 14-18 seem dry enough. Friend told me about Dinasaour National Monument and Flaming Gorge.

Any help from locals would be appreciated.

Try to get to Bryce Canyon for a sunset. I love Capital Reef as well. Any of the state parks are pretty damn good in Utah.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is no way dirt roads through the LaSal Mtns are going to be open at Spring Break. All that stuff at treeline will have 4 to 5 feet of snow minimum plus large drifting in places. Dont waste your time at Dinosaur. Its pretty, but completely in the middle of nowhere and a good portion of the scenic roads are seasonal. March/Apr/May are mud season and a whole lot of stuff is closed.

Moab will be nice. Canyonlands will be nice, Zion is a must do. Bryce Canyon is beautiful, but very high up (like 8800-9100 ft) and probably very seasonal (research that). After visiting Zion and/or Bryce (if open), drive up Utah Hwy 12 to reach Torrey, UT and Capitol Reef National Park (way more scenic). And then head over to Green River UT/Moab. All that GJ, Dinosaur, Flaming Gorge loop stuff.....complete waste of time. Nothing out there except sage, pinons, juniper and snow and mud that time of year.

Highway 191 south of Moab down the east side of UT, then heading over to Hwy 163 (monument valley) is pretty spectacular as well as a potential way back.

Springtime can be funny in the desert southwest...can be hot or freezing and snowy. Back in my college days (80s) we drove from Boulder, CO down to Grand Canyon and then Phoenix. Copper Mountain in Colorado had snowslides that blocked I-70 and we had to wait for it to open. Wolf Creek Pass had 150-200" base. Got to south rim of Grand Canyon -- 15" of snow (north rim is closed that time of year). Decided to hike down the snowy trails at the top anyways since we were there. Got to nearly bottom was almost 75 degrees. Got wicked sunburn and barely made it back to the rim by nightfall on icy trails. Went on to Phoenix -- was 80 degrees.

My point is to prepare for variable weather and have a plan A, plan B and plan C and roll with the punches. March is the snowiest month in Colorado and I suspect probably is also the same in portions of Utah and northern AZ.

We did Zion one summer over 4th of July, then Bryce (which still had some snowbanks) and then Capitol Reef (and then we were going to do Canyonlands and Arches). Kids were ready to mutiny by Capitol Reef and were all "rocked" out by that time so we barely touched Capitol Reef and we skipped Canyonlands and Arches.

_ Good call- forgot Torrey.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts