Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the FJ Summit 5 years straight and I wanted to see what things are like in the Winter time.
I've been to Moab in summer twice as well, but not had the chance to do anything offroad. Any recommendations
for winter off-roading? I'll stop in Ouray to check the scenery, but plan to head further west into Utah.
I have full skids/sliders, but no lift yet. Open for some ideas with no set plans for 3-4 days.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where to go in Winter.

I live in Midwest and love Colorado/Utah in summer. What trails can you run safely in the winter?
Boys want to see what the winter is like in the west: me too!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Running Trails in winter in Colorado? -- not many -- trails near Ouray = zero. In fact many that are in national forest are closed to traffic in the winter (e.g. behind locked gates). You can look at Home - Stay The Trail and look at the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) and they usually indicate open/close dates but those are subject to discretion by National Forest Service.

I see some people who run Metberry, Hackett and Longwater Gulch trails that are one way in and one way out that are west of Westcreek, Colorado (e.g. front range mountains west/northwest of Colorado Springs and east side of continental divide).

But.....and it's a big one....it is extremely unwise to wheel in the winter by yourself. Very few people out there. Short days, slick, icy, off camber stuff is a recipe for disaster if you cant winch/dig yourself out. If you think you can do it, make sure you have survival gear and food and the ability to make it for several weeks or more if anything goes wrong and you slide off a road and are injured and cant be easily seen or if the vehicle is disabled and you have a long hike out to civilization...possibly through deep snow.

p.s. here is a recent story of someone who got in the wrong spot and was extremely lucky to have survived. I realize you are not a confused 85 year old woman...but she was a long timer from Colorado and should have known better and still got into trouble. While and FJ is certainly more capable that her vehicle, once you get stuck, there is no one back there to help and it could be weeks or even months before someone stumbles across you in the backcountry.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/29/ruby-stein-colorado-mountains-survival/

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Elevation and snow are not your friend out here. Even though we are way low on snow now you can expect anything above about 6000 feet is closed. The danger factor described above is very real.

Moab right now is snow covered but should be good again soon. I’d checkout Moab then keep angling south. Visit the wonders of Red Rock Country throughout Southern Utah and down into Arizona.

Get some guide books from Amazon and do some research. Chuck Wells and Massey/Wilson have authored some good books.

Reactions: Cruiser47
1 - 4 of 4 Posts