Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6'6" - 7'2" fishing rods and was trying to figure out the best option to not keep them in the vehicle. Does anyone know of cases that could mount to the roof rack kind of like the awnings do? I'd preferably like to keep the reels on so I don't have to keep relining the rods. Thanks

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
This is the way it's done around here. I realize it isn't what you're looking for. Whatever you do, never put them on one of those baskets behind you. All the sand you kick up ends up in your reels... well, the part that doesn't sand blast all the finish off of them.

I've seen people take about 6' of 4" or 6" PVC, put a cap on one end, and put a 12" to 6" or 4" reducer on it with a piece of 12" PVC long enough to cap the big end. Then you cut the end of the cap and use some weatherstripping to make a good seal. Then you use 20 bungee cords to hold on the piece of cap on that you cut off. It seemed to work, but it was cumbersome and awkward to use. Not to mention that your rods/reels are all bouncing around against each other in there. In other words, don't try it unless you fine tune a bunch of the issues.

Oh, the short answer: no. :lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made some out of a narrower (2" ?) ABS pipe for individual rods. I strap them onto my cataraft frame to hold spare fly rods and they should work fine for the FJ roof.

Pipe can be cut to any length to accomodate rod and reel. I cut a notch in one end of the pipe to accomodate the reel. Be sure to smooth the front edge to prevent damage to line. I also cut the pipe about 12" from the reel end and then rejoined them with a couplerand ABS cement. This supplies some purchase to attach a short loop and ball type bunjee cord which I can then slip over the reel to hold the rod in the pipe.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I just used a couple of those rubber quikfist clamps and have 2 fresh water poles mounted to the inside of the rear door so I have them anytime I want to fish. Very simple and secure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've actually got an idea for a rack..seems like a good one in my head..I should be piecing it together soon. Ill do a write up for it or at least take some pics

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just used a couple of those rubber quikfist clamps and have 2 fresh water poles mounted to the inside of the rear door so I have them anytime I want to fish. Very simple and secure.
you have pics? and what size rods? im assuming 2pc.

the one i have up top in the pic is 13ft 1piece, so cant do that. haha.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you have pics? and what size rods? im assuming 2pc.

the one i have up top in the pic is 13ft 1piece, so cant do that. haha.

13 ft, are you salt water fishing?

I just started fishing 2 years ago with bass fishing. My cousin has done it for 30 years and I wanted to get into fishing. Last year I got to fly fish my first time for some trout in Northern Maine. I absolutely love fishing. I want to learn striper fishing

·
Registered
5,343 Posts

I just started fishing 2 years ago with bass fishing. My cousin has done it for 30 years and I wanted to get into fishing. Last year I got to fly fish my first time for some trout in Northern Maine. I absolutely love fishing. I want to learn striper fishing
The ones on my door are fresh water but I have 2 ocean poles also I just don`t carry them here are the pics you asked for

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
My son stuck his surf rod behind the roof top tent straps.

-

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two 1-piece poles. I've used telescopic poles but they were crap for any decent sized fish. I've been hesitant on buying a 2-piece rod as the fish I usually catch are over 4lbs and I know 2-piece are rated over that but I've heard they are a waste of money. Also one of my rod setups is a 500 dollar setup and would love to use it :D

When I find something or rig something, I'll post it. Thanks for the replies and the pics!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I saved a cardboard tube from work and used a couple of bungee cords to hold up to three 5.5'-6.0' bass rods. Cost might be $2.00. :clap::cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts

ya. surf rods. anything 10ft and above i put up top. all my smaller ones are 2 peice so they fit inside.

The ones on my door are fresh water but I have 2 ocean poles also I just don`t carry them here are the pics you asked for

Nice, ill have to look into that. maybe put some on the rack to hold the rods better than bungee cords.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I believe Thule use to make a fishing rod attachment for a roof rack. They still might. It was pretty nice. There was a lockable box that incased the reels and the rods passed through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a pic of my rod carrier. It's made of Alum. The tubes are 10' long and the box is set up to hold fly reels but you could extend the box to hold spinning reels. It mounts to the fj factory rack cross bars. For spinning rods you"ll need at least a 4" dia tube to have room for the rod to git because of the guides. you could get some oval tube I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
ln Aust the going thing is what you would call ABS pipe i think, we call it poly pipe.. but its a 2m length with and end cap glued in and then a screw cap end the other.... in this one on the trailer there is 5 rods, its 90mm poly pipe... over here cost less than $15 to make ...very cost effective and they last forever..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is mine.
cid:B6EB5034-5F69-43E8-B7CF-3798ADC80A20/photo.JPG

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought a rod holder from Bass Pro Shops that hooks to the grab handles inside, works very well holds 6 rods. I have a couple seven footers, no issues. 20 bucks...problem solved

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I bought a rod holder from Bass Pro Shops that hooks to the grab handles inside, works very well holds 6 rods. I have a couple seven footers, no issues. 20 bucks...problem solved
I`d be interested in seeing this do you have a picture of it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts