1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Personally I like the Estwing 26-inch camp axe. All metal and easy to store and carry.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Personally I like the Estwing 26-inch camp axe. All metal and easy to store and carry.

cheers,

dale
Yep that's what's in the back of my rig. I always liked the look of it because I've seen it for years, I swing an Estwing hammer and have done so for 20 years. After I got the FJ it finally gave me a reason to buy it, it wouldn't have been great for the trim work I do!:)

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Pretty slick...What is the cost of the Estwing axe?? And where can I find one??

Doc
$40-$45 bucks I think. It's not expensive but is well worth the money. You definitely don't have to worry about breaking the handle.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

Doc
Doc,

I got mine at Home Depot. Cost was $38. as I recall. Came with a leather cover over the cutting edge.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
493 Posts
I second the estwing. Virtually indestructable. I ended up polishing the blade on mine to a razor sharpness. It will literally shave hair smoothly. The polishing of the blade makes it easier to chop and pull the blade out after every chop.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ya Friskers and Gerber have been one and the same for years. Don't honestly know if they were ever separate to tell the truth.

Sean
Gerber Legendary Blades was started in 1939 in Oregon.. Fiskars traces it roots back to 1649 in Finland.

Fiskars bought Gerber in 1977.

"In 1977 Fiskars established a scissors plant in Wausau, Wisconsin, and then acquired several consumer-oriented companies, such as Wallace Manufacturing Co., Gerber Legendary Blades, and Coltellerie Montana. Gradually, scissors became a profitable product line that appealed to consumers around the world. Over the next 20 years, Fiskars would come to function well as a business corporation structured in three business units--The Consumer Products Group (CPG), Inha Works Ltd., and the Real Estate Group--and made judicious acquisitions of companies that strengthened these units."

Fiskars has a very long history of working with iron

http://www.fiskars.fi/pdf/Fiskars_history_eng.pdf

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Gerber Legendary Blades was started in 1939 in Oregon.. Fiskars traces it roots back to 1649 in Finland.

"In 1977 Fiskars established a scissors plant in Wausau, Wisconsin, and then acquired several consumer-oriented companies, such as Wallace Manufacturing Co., Gerber Legendary Blades, and Coltellerie Montana. Gradually, scissors became a profitable product line that appealed to consumers around the world. Over the next 20 years, Fiskars would come to function well as a business corporation structured in three business units--The Consumer Products Group (CPG), Inha Works Ltd., and the Real Estate Group--and made judicious acquisitions of companies that strengthened these units."

Fiskars has a very long history of working with iron

http://www.fiskars.fi/pdf/Fiskars_history_eng.pdf
Well, that was a pretty good explanation:cheers:.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

cheers,

dale
Yep that's what's in the back of my rig. I always liked the look of it because I've seen it for years, I swing an Estwing hammer and have done so for 20 years. After I got the FJ it finally gave me a reason to buy it, it wouldn't have been great for the trim work I do!:)

Doc
$40-$45 bucks I think. It's not expensive but is well worth the money. You definitely don't have to worry about breaking the handle.
Doc,

I got mine at Home Depot. Cost was $38. as I recall. Came with a leather cover over the cutting edge.

cheers,

dale
I second the estwing. Virtually indestructable. I ended up polishing the blade on mine to a razor sharpness. It will literally shave hair smoothly. The polishing of the blade makes it easier to chop and pull the blade out after every chop.
Glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking. These baby's are indestructable, look sweet, and hold one of the sharpest edges on an axe I've ever seen! I also got mine at Homey Depot.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking. These baby's are indestructable, look sweet, and hold one of the sharpest edges on an axe I've ever seen! I also got mine at Homey Depot.
I love my Estwing! I've got the 14" Sportsman's Axe.

My dad bought it for me when I was about 10. 15 years later, it's now in the back of my FJ and it looks pretty close to when I got it. Awesome tools... I've got one of their framing hammers around too. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hate to say this but the Gerber Splitting Axe will out split the Estwing.

My ladyfriends Dad uses an Estwing and keeps the thing razor sharp. He couldn't get this one round to split. I wasn't told this as I was out 4WD'ing and just came back to camp. They thought it would be funny to get me to bring out the Gerber and try to split the round. One medium whack and it exploded in two. I tried his Estwing after and couldn't get it to split for the life of me!

Estwing blade is too thin and gets stuck easily before cracking the wood. The Estwing looks great, it's a real man's axe but it the Gerber Splitting Axe makes life easy. It'll crack (proper word would be explodes) rounds 2-3' round and 2' long like nothing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That Fiskars unit is very good, I bought a few different versions over the years The "shttp://www.amazon.com/Gerber-05635-Off-Road-Survival/dp/B00005A1HGuv kit" was actually better than I thought.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts

"In 1977 Fiskars established a scissors plant in Wausau, Wisconsin, and then acquired several consumer-oriented companies, such as Wallace Manufacturing Co., Gerber Legendary Blades, and Coltellerie Montana.
True story, I worked graveyard shift at the Gerber factory while a senior in high school (mostly with grizzled veteran types who knew the craft). Sliced one of my fingers open while assembling one of the eversharp knife sets...

Mostly awesome blades though!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Hate to say this but the Gerber Splitting Axe will out split the Estwing.

My ladyfriends Dad uses an Estwing and keeps the thing razor sharp. He couldn't get this one round to split. I wasn't told this as I was out 4WD'ing and just came back to camp. They thought it would be funny to get me to bring out the Gerber and try to split the round. One medium whack and it exploded in two. I tried his Estwing after and couldn't get it to split for the life of me!

Estwing blade is too thin and gets stuck easily before cracking the wood. The Estwing looks great, it's a real man's axe but it the Gerber Splitting Axe makes life easy. It'll crack (proper word would be explodes) rounds 2-3' round and 2' long like nothing.
Was going to post this exact same opinion, the Estwing is fantastic sharp but on big or partially wet wood tends to stick in but not split, the Gerber does it no problem. The Estwing can double as a good throwing axe tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.