Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like that's where we'll be by the end of the summer. I fear that will be the end of my beloved FJ...it is what it is.
It's a real pisser that something totally out of our control (well we could control it but there isn't one leader in Washington, except maybe Ron Paul) can wreck so much havoc is every facet of our society.
So....what say you, what will be the fate of your FJ should we hit the $5 milestone? Think with logic, not emotion before responding.

:boohoo:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'll still be driving the FJ, what other realistic choice do I have? It gets an easy 25% better MPG that my Jeeps of the last ten years and it's what I drive. There's really nothing else out there that I would want and I'd lose major $$$$ to sell or trade.

I am considering retirement, if everything keeps going up. A 15 mile/20 min commute, parking and the other work related expenses make staying near home more appealing. Working is probably costing me 10%-15% of my income . Retirement at 50% and picking up a PT "chump" job would probably work out to near the same income for me, plus more time to play.. Ron

Looks like that's where we'll be by the end of the summer. I fear that will be the end of my beloved FJ...it is what it is.
It's a real pisser that something totally out of our control (well we could control it but there isn't one leader in Washington, except maybe Ron Paul) can wreck so much havoc is every facet of our society.
So....what say you, what will be the fate of your FJ should we hit the $5 milestone? Think with logic, not emotion before responding.

:boohoo:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm already paying more than $5 so I'll keep the FJ! :bigthumb:

Gas here is $1.42 CAN per Litre

$1.42/L x 3.78L/gal = $5.37/gal
Right now the dolloars are equal so this may change.

This reminds me... my gas light is on, I better go fill up after work!

·
Registered
835 Posts
How about $10 dollars a gallon? BRING IT ON!

I will TOW my FJ with my new SEQUIOA! BOO YA!

OH, sorry, that was the emotion talking. For reals? I think it would be nice to have less cars on the road. Every day I see busses with three people on them. Delivery trucks everywhere delivering instant gratification; pizzas, packages, gotta-have-it-nows. Commuters bumper to bumper with one person in each car. Perhaps a little suffering would make us change our evil ways?

I have a van full of tools with a V-10 and I NEED some space on the road. Move to the bike lane so I can get by.:lol:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I see and appreciate where you're going here. If half the people would just use mass transportation and/or drive little toy cars, we the other half would be a lot better off.. LOL... Ron

How about $10 dollars a gallon? BRING IT ON!

I will TOW my FJ with my new SEQUIOA! BOO YA!

OH, sorry, that was the emotion talking. For reals? I think it would be nice to have less cars on the road. Every day I see busses with three people on them. Delivery trucks everywhere delivering instant gratification; pizzas, packages, gotta-have-it-nows. Commuters bumper to bumper with one person in each car. Perhaps a little suffering would make us change our evil ways?

I have a van full of tools with a V-10 and I NEED some space on the road. Move to the bike lane so I can get by.:lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm planning for the worse at all costs. I have a motorcycle that I try to take everyday, but now I'm planning on nearly everyday. I have also cut out unnecessary trips and cruising around. I've managed to maintain my gas budget of about $100 a month by making more use of my bike ('05 Suzuki SV650S). Gas is $3.69 for 87 right now, so I think $4 is going to happen by the end of the month for me.

I've also started working flex time so that means one less day of commuting. I've synchronized my work schedule with my fiance so we can commute together (we work less than a mile from each other).

I probably won't sell the FJ, but it will get far fewer miles.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Already over 5 at some places out this way. It'll be 7 by the end of summer. Hey at leas we dont live in france, they have been over 10 a gal for a while now along with alot of the world.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
They are forcasting prices to be around $5.80 ish a gallon here for the long weekend.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I plan to still drive my FJ and cut cost/mods here and there. I doubt gas goes over $5. If it does I guess I'll have to adapt. I won't be selling my FJ because of the price of gas. Buy a scooter or a small car to commute in if this is going to force you to sell the FJ. But if you love the FJ, you'll keep it and just start ***** footing it more. I've been ***** footing it for like the past 3 months.

I guess it's a good thing we didn't let Iran blow up the offshore oil platforms or we'd be really fugged.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have a little four cylinder Ford Ranger. I try to drive it to work more often, then break out the FJ on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. My commute to work is about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'll drive her regardless. If we paid the true cost of gasoline (the ecological cost, cost of pollution cleanup, etc....) It would be way higher than any of us can imagine. It is already 4.25 for premium here, sooooo.... It sucks but oh well. Maybe people will use a bike for short commutes. It may be a blessing by helping the counter the staggering obesity problem in our country. All depends on how you look at it!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am glad gas is going up. Hopefully it will get some of the congestion off this Nation's roads, and get more folks to start seriously thinking about alternative fuel, public trans and conservation. As stated above, I get irritated when I see a bus with only 3 or 4 people on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They just passed a law in Georgia this week that allows us to carry concealed in restaurants, public transportation, etc. so methinks being armed, more peeps will feel safer riding the bus or MARTA trains. Kimber rules!

·
Registered
670 Posts
They just passed a law in Georgia this week that allows us to carry concealed in restaurants, public transportation, etc. so methinks being armed, more peeps will feel safer riding the bus or MARTA trains. Kimber rules!
I never thought about people shying away from mass transit due to concern over their safety. Fortunately, that's a perspective that I don't have to consider, both for the fact that there's no mass transit here, and more importantly, there's no wack jobs.

As for me, hopefully Tuesday was our last snowfall for the summer, so I will be riding my bike to work more often... But, I will not get rid of the FJ for gas price reasons.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I say slap on a $5/gal tax on top of it. That would generate a lot of useful revenue, and likely cut our needless driving in half.

If you sell your FJ at a loss, it could take 5-10 years before the difference in gas mileage saves you enough to even out.

I can stretch my tank twice as long, by not driving as much. I bike when I can, walk to the store. Not everyone's option obviously.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back in 1990 I bought a Mazda Miata, since then I've gone through four other cars and now my FJ. I am replacing the top on it this weekend and plan on driving it to and from work (50 miles roundtrip).

I bought my truck to haul my ass around when the weather is bad or I want to travel where the Miata can't. I won't sell the FJ because gas prices are insane, I will just drive a small car when I'm by myself or it's sunny out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm surprised I haven't heard of more instances of stolen gas. If it gets to $5 a gallon I'll definetly get a locking gas cap.

I'm not to worried right now. We are about to move closer to work which should help offset the increase.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts