Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years after fj came out and the windshields are still the same

I get the design concept, I get the costs associated with stronger/thicker glass

but you can afford it!!!!!! ridiculous $1300 for the windshield, and it will happen again in few months.. pissed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: fix that goddamn windshield !!!!

That's why I pay for zero deductible glass coverage on all my vehicles. I had to replace the FJC windshield once since March '06 while I have had to replace the windshield on my pickup 3 times since November '04. It's inconvenient, but they come to my house and do the replacement, so it's not too big of a hassle.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What's wrong with the windshield? I have pits and chips on mine, but with a near vertical piece of glass, and Colorado winters, I didn't expect it to look new for long.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
If you need to replace your windshield, do not go to the dealer. They almost always outsource the work to a local glass shop.

I paid under $400 for a replacement windshield in Montrose, Colorado. :)

M

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I have NEVER gone to the dealer for mine and I am on windshield number 4. I live in New Orleans and have for a LONG time. My windshields have been victims of the rebuilding effort here. I have seen the price drop for the last 2 years. Don't go to the dealer for glass, BUT let me tell you that the last windshield has held up the best and it is not Toyota glass, it is aftermarket PPG.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Had the FJ for about two years, and so far didnt have to replace the windshield, also make sure you get your windshield replaced correctly, otherwise **** happens when you get it done at some cheap glass shop.:simmadown:

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you need to replace your windshield, do not go to the dealer. They almost always outsource the work to a local glass shop.

I paid under $400 for a replacement windshield in Montrose, Colorado. :)

M
thats not the point

toyota the biggest company in the world and allows this type of problems in the first 3 year of production?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
thats not the point

toyota the biggest company in the world and allows this type of problems in the first 3 year of production?
It is a vertical piece of glass it will crack if impacted by a hard object IT IS GLASS. Mine gets blasted day in and day out and i only have one crack from a rock as big around as a quarter at 80+ mph.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It is a vertical piece of glass it will crack if impacted by a hard object IT IS GLASS. Mine gets blasted day in and day out and i only have one crack from a rock as big around as a quarter at 80+ mph.
Wrong. Really. Have you ever seen a Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack (cab over) truck? How about a Bus or RV? No? How about a Jeep CJ?

All of the above have near vertical windshields. All of the above have around a LOT longer than the FJ. None of the above have had the problems the FJ has had.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Wrong. Really. Have you ever seen a Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack (cab over) truck? How about a Bus or RV? No? How about a Jeep CJ?

All of the above have near vertical windshields. All of the above have around a LOT longer than the FJ. None of the above have had the problems the FJ has had.

Good point. But i really don't think its the windshield thats the problem. fingas74 is right in the fact that the Fj glass is no more proned to chips and other road debire than any other near vertical mounted windsheild. My thinking isthat maybe its the structure around the windshield that needs to be looked at?

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

exactly

look at most cars since the 1920's-1980's

fjs window is nothing unusual or complicated to produce, the glass itself is just too weak, something wrong with the design or something

i've never heard of similar situation anywhere....

I cant believe hundreds of designers and engineers didnt think of the potential problems associated with near vertical windshield, I smell cost cutting

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

As far as jeeps go (since they are the only thing you mentioned that is close to an FJ, they have the same problems we do as do many non vertical windshields. If the FJ glass hadn't been so expensive we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

·
Registered
458 Posts

The windshields on the vehicles you mentioned above (except for the Jeep) are a LOT higher off the road. As far as the Jeeps go, a friend of mine lost his windshields very quickly on both his X and Rubi. I am not talking about small chips, but large cracks. He mentioned that Jeeps have a problem with this, and I have noticed that a lot of Jeeps around here do have cracked windshields. My 2004 Grand Cherokee has it's fair share of chips as well (and that windshield has a decent angle to it).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Okay, the big trucks (the tractors) are high up... but they also see a MILLION miles before being retired. They also follow other big trucks, dump trucks, etc. a lot more than we do.

Guys come on. The CJ has a windshield problem? Really? I have been playing with CJs for 15 years. I have NEVER heard ONE complaint about the CJ windshield. Plenty of complaints about poor wipers, terrible defrost, leaks... but NEVER a complaint about cracked windshields.

The FJ has less than 2 years in production and there's already endless complaining, class action lawsuits... The CJs has been on the road (and the deserts, the jungles, the beaches, the battlefields... ) for over 60 years. Surely Jeep isn't using better quality materials that Toyota?

So really... I have a hard time believing it's simply a matter of the FJ windshield being at a steep angle. That's just a weak excuse. A contributor... but a weak excuse.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Okay, the big trucks (the tractors) are high up... but they also see a MILLION miles before being retired. They also follow other big trucks, dump trucks, etc. a lot more than we do.
The height prevents the majority of hits so they don't crack as often.

Guys come on. The CJ has a windshield problem? Really? I have been playing with CJs for 15 years. I have NEVER heard ONE complaint about the CJ windshield. Plenty of complaints about poor wipers, terrible defrost, leaks... but NEVER a complaint about cracked windshields.
Everyone i have ever known that had a jeep had problems with cracked windshields. They didn't complain as much because the windshields were never offered at a cost of close to a grand.

The FJ has less than 2 years in production and there's already endless complaining, class action lawsuits... The CJs has been on the road (and the deserts, the jungles, the beaches, the battlefields... ) for over 60 years. Surely Jeep isn't using better quality materials that Toyota?
When it first came out the FJ windshield was only made by toyota and it carried a hefty price, THAT is why there were so many complaints. Intrestingly enough there haven't been enough complaints to actually push forward the class action, guess it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be.

So really... I have a hard time believing it's simply a matter of the FJ windshield being at a steep angle. That's just a weak excuse. A contributor... but a weak excuse.
you are right it isn't simply a matter of the FJ windshield being at a steep angle, it is that plus hard objects impacting FRAGILE GLASS.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yep. Fine... The FJ is that unique. No other car has ever had an upright windshield, except CJs, (edit) EARLY-FJs, Broncos, Troopers, Discoverys, etc. etc. And those that have, had as many problems as the FJ... in two years. Okay, you win. I give up. It's just fragile glass and bad luck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The old VW bug has a pretty vertical glass. Old musclecars and cars pre early 70s had close to vertical windshields.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
exactly

look at most cars since the 1920's-1980's

fjs window is nothing unusual or complicated to produce, the glass itself is just too weak, something wrong with the design or something

i've never heard of similar situation anywhere....

I cant believe hundreds of designers and engineers didnt think of the potential problems associated with near vertical windshield, I smell cost cutting

I can't believe that anyone on this forum is still talking/complaining about the windshield. Shall we now discuss heated seats? :slant:

Please, Mike/FJ Funjunkie, where are you when we need the sarcastic "Have you done a search before starting yet another thread on this subject?" line?? Sooo much energy put into a new thread and so little in reading the opinions/facts on the other 100 previous ones.

Off my soap box now. I'm still tired from the trip home. Please forgive me. Or not. :)

M

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I agree... Sort-a like the Al Gore and obama threads.. What more is there to say?Ron

I can't believe that anyone on this forum is still talking/complaining about the windshield. Shall we now discuss heated seats? :slant:

Please, Mike/FJ Funjunkie, where are you when we need the sarcastic "Have you done a search before starting yet another thread on this subject?" line?? Sooo much energy put into a new thread and so little in reading the opinions/facts on the other 100 previous ones.

Off my soap box now. I'm still tired from the trip home. Please forgive me. Or not. :)

M

1 - 20 of 57 Posts