Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even when my tank is empty I can't even use the first, or slowest, lock on the pump handle at the majority of gas stations.

I would like to use the fastest flow lock to fill up my incredibly tiny fuel tank with my hands in my pockets. <sarcasm>

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Agreed, I am also wondering why they made the FJ like that when there are no problems with other Toyota SUVs. Would be nice to get fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
If I recall correctly, someone posted that they had found a solution to the fill vent problem but would not disclose what they had discovered and that they were going to tell at the Summit. I don't know if it ever came up again after that...I'm going searching.......

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed, I am also wondering why they made the FJ like that when there are no problems with other Toyota SUVs. Would be nice to get fixed.
Both my FJ and my Tundra suffer this malady.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I thought there was something wrong with my FJ for the longest time! I have found that if you turn the pump handle at about a 90 deg angle it helps quite a bit... but then you're stuck there holding it the whole time the tank is filling. What a PITA!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hmm. I was on empty and just filled up and it filled up consistently and stopped when it needed to do so. Its the pumps at the stations that needs to be adjusted IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I never had a fill-up problem before I added my MAF auxillary tank. BBhog was supposed to meet me at the Summit to swap filler necks w/me (easier than trying to be an on-site mod of mine), but he had work conflicts and couldn't make it -- which is why no one saw him there.

I haven't heard from him since, but I'm not having as much difficulty w/my fill-ups now that I do not drain both tanks before refilling -- works best when the main is about 1/4 full and the aux is about 1/4-1/2 full. So, I'm don't need to pester him about it, but, if anyone else contacts him, let him know I'm still waiting to hear back from him. ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmm. I was on empty and just filled up and it filled up consistently and stopped when it needed to do so. Its the pumps at the stations that needs to be adjusted IMHO.
It is true that some stations seem to have pumps that work better than others, but I have never had a vehicle that had problems at all with this before. So although I agree that some pumps could be adjusted to be a bit less sensitive, I still think that the FJ's filler neck needs some tweaking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had problems from time to time. Turning the pump handle does work, but you do have to hold on to it. I don't know if there would be an easy fix. Seems to me the filler neck angle and height compared to other vehicles is different. Would like to know about a fix if there is one out there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The problem lay on the gas tank filler tube design. Whenever I fill up at this gas station near my house that claims to have the fastest gas pumps in town ( they are freakishly fast) it takes me forever because it shuts off fairly easily.

BUT I've found a solution to the problem, use your gas cap to keep the lever in place instead of the little rivets on the gas pump it's a bit slower but it doesn't shut off, making the overall process faster.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
When I'm near empty, I can use the second notch (out of 3) to keep the gas pump on if I hold the nozzle at a certain angle - sometimes.

When I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 a tank, I have to move down to the first notch, and it cuts off frequently.

For the last 2 gallons mine cuts off with every little squirt of gas...
clickthump
clickthump
clickthump
clickthump

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The problem lay on the gas tank filler tube design. Whenever I fill up at this gas station near my house that claims to have the fastest gas pumps in town ( they are freakishly fast) it takes me forever because it shuts off fairly easily.

BUT I've found a solution to the problem, use your gas cap to keep the lever in place instead of the little rivets on the gas pump it's a bit slower but it doesn't shut off, making the overall process faster.
A maglite will also work. You have to be careful about how you balance it in there though because when the pump does finally shut off.. if its not balanced correctly it will fall to the ground. I have too much time on my hands :lol:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This happens to me too when it gets to the 14 gallon mark at the pump. I figured that if I take out the gun and just kinda hold it at the very beginning of the tube it will go at least up to the 16.7 gallon.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Or you could do what a real genius in Memphis did when I was growing up there...he propped the handle on with a Bic Lighter...When the tank topped out the handle jerked, rolled the flint wheel as it jumped out of the handle, struck the flint and ....boom, no more car, etc...you get the picture. Almost a Darwin award, but he propped it so he could go inside to use the restroom...He had a surprise when he came out.
For some reason everytime I fill up I think of that.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Or you could do what a real genius in Memphis did when I was growing up there...he propped the handle on with a Bic Lighter...When the tank topped out the handle jerked, rolled the flint wheel as it jumped out of the handle, struck the flint and ....boom, no more car, etc...you get the picture. Almost a Darwin award, but he propped it so he could go inside to use the restroom...He had a surprise when he came out.
For some reason everytime I fill up I think of that.
That's a beautiful story, gotta love ingenuity...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you guys all have 2007 models? Cuz on my 2008 I've never had a problem with this. Always pops at the right time, scangauge confirms that the right amount of gas has been added.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts