Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I read recently that they are doing away with the vapor recovery style pumps to cut costs. I have the cut off problem probably 80% of the time , I only goto Chevron and 76.

:cheers:
I doubt they will follow through with that because of the strict Air Quality Management District regulations and the loss for State revenue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fuso trucks have a slanted window, the grill may be flat, but the window isn't.
Also, the window is a bit higher. The lack of slant makes the windshield absorb the full impact. Just like a classic VW Bug. I have three chips in my windshield. My old Dakota (91 model), which had better glass and a better rake, was full of little hits, but never cracked. I sold it to a friend and it is still on the road, original windshield.

You bought a box that sits high off the ground, what did you expect it to do in the wind? There isn't a single deflective surface on it. Put a tuner wing on it if you want to keep it down, and a big front air dam.

These aren't problems, they are because you bought a truck instead of a car. If you were worried about the interior, then don't buy something with matte plastic, you wanted something that wouldn't be tossed around by the wind, either buy a 1 ton truck with some mass, or a wind tunnel designed car. Apparently you didn't really get what you wanted, if it makes you that unhappy. This thing is meant to be driven off road, it wasn't designed at all for freeways.

Google Image Result for http://www.mark4x4.com/images/fe649e6.jpg

Zero Issues ..? Really ..? In a bit of denial there buddy...?
I think you have the same exact problems as most of us but you are just happy with the design flaws..!! Yes.. I and hundreds of others have said on here..Design flaws and poor choice of materials used, that's what they are... ...!!!
I did investigate the FJ before buying.. I know it has horrible rear views, poor mileage, a small tank, it's noisy, has air buffeting problems when windows are open, but i bought it anyway because it's what i wanted and was willing to live with these quirks...I'm not complaining about any of those..

What I didn't expect from a new vehicle that's been in production this long was not being able to fill up a tank of gas without the pump shutting off ten times, nor did I expect a windshield that is destined to break (according to this forum) in the first year, or have a plastic interior (didn't say it was thin) that if you look at it wrong marks up even with the back side of your hand...!!
These are issues I don't think anyone would expect from a quality car company like Toyota.. You say all new car paints are crap..That's BS and that's what I would LMFAO about.....You blame it on the EPA, who I also hate but there are better products out there that conform and perform better.. I deal with it every day in my business... I don't know what kind of crap you've been buying but I've purchased American, German and Japanese cars including Toyota products that have no signs of poor paint.
At work I have a Mitsubishi Fuso commercial truck with as straight a windshield you will find on the road today with 300,000 miles on it and not a single chip....a Chevy cargo van with same results and 150.000 miles.

What I was saying was, that I was surprised, with all of you here and some for 6 years or better have never organized a formal group complaint direct to Toyota..There is truth to the "strength in numbers" saying..
Is there something about this forum that prevents that...? Is Toyota a sponsor..?
That would definitely be a reason for members like FJ PDX for jumping down my throat....
I belong to other manufacture forums and the company has always stepped up to take care of the people who are passionate about the Mark.....

Again can't believe with all the complaints from you guys on the same issues year after year that no-one has ever suggested this....Maybe I didn't search deep enough

Most importantly.. Didn't mean to offend anyone here with the legal suggestions earlier ....

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
67 Posts
well from reading all these post it sounds like it does not start at first only after 60k or so ( for most people ) I have a 2007 that we bought with 30k on it and it did not do this at all for about two years and now it does it really bad, Ive tried to pull the pump handle almost all the way out and still does not help. here is what i have noticed start at about 60k miles. I had thought in till reading this post is that maybe someone tried to steal my gas and F-ed up the ani-gas siphon thing they put in the filler neck and maybe that was the cause. also about the same time i started to have problems i noticed
That anytime i let it get below 1/8 tank or so my computer through a code for gas cap being lose which i have changed twice with no luck. so i have to reset it allot if I do not want to see all the check engine code lights come on.
also anytime you have a computer code. it shuts off the traction control and it will burn rubber ( haha ) this is crazy.
I am now thinking it has something to do with the evop system.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
well from reading all these post it sounds like it does not start at first only after 60k or so ( for most people ) I have a 2007 that we bought with 30k on it and it did not do this at all for about two years and now it does it really bad, Ive tried to pull the pump handle almost all the way out and still does not help. here is what i have noticed start at about 60k miles. I had thought in till reading this post is that maybe someone tried to steal my gas and F-ed up the ani-gas siphon thing they put in the filler neck and maybe that was the cause. also about the same time i started to have problems i noticed
That anytime i let it get below 1/8 tank or so my computer through a code for gas cap being lose which i have changed twice with no luck. so i have to reset it allot if I do not want to see all the check engine code lights come on.
also anytime you have a computer code. it shuts off the traction control and it will burn rubber ( haha ) this is crazy.
I am now thinking it has something to do with the evop system.
notice two small holes near the opening of the filler neck? these are EVAP holes. if you have fluid down there, they will become clogged up and start doing weird things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2013 blk 4x4 fj and it has done this since day one. The only "workaround" I've found is to slowly hand pump the last few gallons. Weird that Toyota cannot/ will not change the in-flow angle or diameter of the fuel inlet to allow for faster inflow of fuel and outflow of air from the tank.

Loren:thinkerg:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Two things greatly contribute to the problem...

First is pump pressure. All pumps are not set the same meaning different flow volumn.

Second, the fill line on the FJ is 1-inch diameter and it is almost six feet long! Small line vs. high fill pressure causes back pressure, hence pump cut offs!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just make the people behind me wait. I always pump to the same level so I can calculate my mileage which takes some time even if I didnt have the fill issue. Some gas stations however there is no shut off issue at all so what W5WI says seems accurate

·
Registered
69 Posts
Still on my 1st tank of gas, but my Audi had this same problem. I found a trick though. I would lock the doors and then unlock to open the fuel door. If I did that before pumping, I would never have issue. I'm sure it had to do with some electric vent valve, maybe someone can try it.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I think w5wi is on to something ... my truck is 5 1/2 years old and the fill-up thing has always been there more or less depending on which gas station i go to ... it is what it is ... always seems worse when its freezing out ... the person next in line can wait or go to another pump ...

:cheers:

2007 FJ Cruiser – C Pckge - AT
Voodoo Blue

Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift
Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I am on my second 08 FJ, they both have this issue. It occurs at most, but not all stations. That could point to the pumps needing adjustment however I have never had this occur with any other car I've owned.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I fuel up...both in my past 2010 and my current 2008 FJ...I simply insert the nozzle just barely enough to where the tip of the nozzle will barely hang up in the filler tube. Basically as high up as you can and still get a 1/2" of "purchase". I keep an eye on it, and usually a hand on it just in case, but it fills up just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even when my tank is empty I can't even use the first, or slowest, lock on the pump handle at the majority of gas stations.

I would like to use the fastest flow lock to fill up my incredibly tiny fuel tank with my hands in my pockets. <sarcasm>
And all along I thought I was doing something wrong. Yet it doesn't happen when filling-up me other cars.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Maybe it's because it's cold out ... but it's not THAT cold out. It was about 45 out this morning, and I had issues.

Only recently (last 4 fills) I've had a problem getting the gas in the hole. It click off very easily. Same gas station I've always used. Different pump each time. I've had my 2013 since mid August. Taking it in for the 5k check up today. Should I mention that to someone?

UGH!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Maybe it's because it's cold out ... but it's not THAT cold out. It was about 45 out this morning, and I had issues.

Only recently (last 4 fills) I've had a problem getting the gas in the hole. It click off very easily. Same gas station I've always used. Different pump each time. I've had my 2013 since mid August. Taking it in for the 5k check up today. Should I mention that to someone?

UGH!
I have found that if I put the pump in normally, stand there and squeeze the trigger like you would on any other car.... it ALWAYS messes up (like when the tank is full and you are topping off).

HOWEVER....if I insert the nozzle normally squeeze the trigger and then GRAB THE HOSE where it connects to the handle/trigger and raise it up higher (Lift up with the hose) it greatly helps the issue...usually when i do this it does NOT mess up....yes it has but i wasnt elevating the nozzle high enough...Also when i do this i start out slow on the trigger and once elevated properly I can go wide open....this at least works for me...:cheers:

EDIT-I will add that I am 5'9"-5'10" tall and putting gas in the FJ is a PITA because I am almost holding the damn nozzle chest high...this is really the ONLY gripe i have about my FJ (well having to remove my wallet on long drives chaps my ass a little bit as well..as it tends to become uncomfortable)...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
why people are still trying to figure out how to pump gas?
just stuff the fuel cap under the handle and be done with it. never had problem on mine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
just stuff the fuel cap under the handle and be done with it.
I tried that after I had seen it suggested in a thread similar to this one... It didn't do anything differently. Thus far, my only success has been the aforementioned "Just the Tip" method.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I was at a pump the other day and nothing worked. I only had the patience for about 3 gallons at half-throttle. Then the next day I got a full tank out of a pump several islands down. I'll remember that pump next time!

121 - 140 of 166 Posts