Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
oh god, how many times I have to repeat this?
STICK THE GAS CAP UNDER THE TRIGGER HANDLE! if you dont feel like holding it at slower speed.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have a 2014 cruiser w/3K miles and it has the same issue as all the rest. One nice thing however, is that Toyota did put a nice arm rest on the brake light lens while you have to stand there holding the nozzle:wink

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
oh god, how many times I have to repeat this?
STICK THE GAS CAP UNDER THE TRIGGER HANDLE! if you dont feel like holding it at slower speed.
I often do this, but also I have almost never had an issue with the pump kick out maybe there is a different mandatory set point for the States. Anytime I have had a pump kicking out tell the station and next time it's fixed and fine.
Out of interest I read the pages at the start of the thread... People honking when filling up?? WTF... Where do these people live to be that wired tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 2007 I purchased a new Toyata FJ Cruiser v-6 automatic transmission. It now has just over 67,000 miles. I like it and really enjoy it. Mileage around town in 14-15, on the highway I can almost get 20 miles per gallon as long as I keep it below 60 mph. Putting as much fuel in the fuel cell as it will hold is a must.

I have ALWAYS had an issue refueling with the back pressure cutting off fuel flow long before the fuel cell is full. Even when fueling half empty, 3/4 empty or fumes empty. I can insert the tiny diameter “unleaded” fuel nozzle into the filler tube which is slightly larger than the diameter of the fuel nozzle, open the valve and receive a shut off in seconds. To allow any fuel to flow I have to hold the fuel filler valve half, or less, open. To fill the last five gallons, yes five gallons, I have verified this several times, I have to remove the fuel nozzle from the hole entirely, gradually open the valve so it runs just more than a drizzle, very difficult to do with many valves, especially in Oregon with their ridiculous law and pump valve mechanisms so I stay out of Oregon.

But I have learned how to do this, it takes as much time to fill the last five gallons as it does the prior empty fuel cell, but I like to fill the cell. With only a 19 gallon cell what is the sense of only getting 14 gallons in it, that's only 74% fuel capacity? Only then can I get the last five gallons in to fill the fuel cell.

It is obvious to me that the shut off mechanism is too sensitive, there is too much aeration in the fuel, the filler tube diameter is much too small or all three. I am researching the removing the fuel cell (replace with a larger one), cut off the existing filler tube and having a three or four inch diameter tube attached to allow the aeration bubbles space and time to burst and dissipate allowing filling of the fuel cell with the filler valve full open until the cell is full. It will certainly be worth the cost. Is there another solution?

161 - 166 of 166 Posts