Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
transmission out at 53000 miles and now the head gasket is leaking. interior plastic is cracked like a 10 year old car.

what the hell?

when i notified toyota's customer care, they just gave me a "thanks for calling, your input is helpful" reply.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
warranty may fix it, but if he only gets another
53k out of it, that mean at around 100k, it' will
be trash !...

I feel the same thing about mt TO bearing issue,
sure they fixed it 2 times, but what happens to
me after the warrranty...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
be trash !...

sure they fixed it 3 times, but what happens to
that's exactly how i feel, even more so since my 60 series made it 250,000 miles without a serious FUBAR.

·
Registered
411 Posts
be trash !...

sure they fixed it 2 times, but what happens to
Exactly ! I've posted a few times in the thread re: T.O. bearing. I've been buying vehicles for over 40 years (4x4 everythings, 60's muscle cars, English sports cars, you name it and most had sticks). The only problem I've ever encountered in the clutch area was me hammering something like a Hemi stick car too hard and wearing out a clutch disc too fast ! That was something I knew I was doing to it and replacing a clutch in those vehicles was expected (like wearing out brake shoes). But this T.O. bearing issue is different. I consider this a very poor engineering design.

I've recently retired and bought my '09 stick shift FJ with the intent of keeping it for a very long time. The threads on the fender apron cracks were disturbing enough. Now the posts on this T.O. bearing are truly pi__ing me off. It's not so much the fact that it's happening as the fact that it's been going on for a number of model years. This is inexcusable on Toyo's part. This T.O. brg crap in not just an annoyance, it's a real mechanical problem as posted by some owners. Some of these bearings are starting to sieze to the shaft/collar and not fully releasing after you take your foot off the clutch. And this has been going on for a number of years (including the Tacomas) !?!? And some of the dealers are playing the "DUH, I never heard of such a thing" routine ? Or how about the dealers who are saying "you took this thing off road because we can see evidence of moisture in there". You've got to be kidding me ! I can only imagine what will happen after the warranty expires.

Thank you Toyota. I trusted your reputation and flopped down a ton of coin for one of your new vehicles believing I would have a trouble free truck for a long, long time. With this 'ignore it and maybe it will go away' attitude you'll soon be joining the likes of the Detroit automakers who screwed up via Q.C. issues.

At least 'man up' and admit your screw up and provide a real and permanent fix for this.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No problems or complaints here :)
Eventually you will. There is no getting around the fact that the design is rotten. A steel bearing assembly riding on a (non replaceable) aluminum pilot shaft is a bad design. Sooner or later it will puke. Period.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Eventually you will. There is no getting around the fact that the design is rotten. A steel bearing assembly riding on a (non replaceable) aluminum pilot shaft is a bad design. Sooner or later it will puke. Period.

I doubt it and if it does no worse then any other vehicle. I could care less if my fenders have a crack in them or if my seat sinks. Compared to other vehicles the FJ is in a league of its own. Do you all expect the FJ to be completely trouble free? I know it sucks when a transmission goes out early like that buy for the general population big problems like that will never happen.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Seriously man if you're that unhappy with the truck, take advantage of the FJs' excellent resale value and get rid of it. This goes for anyone.

Forums magnify small-scale problems like this 1,000,000x

I know it's frustrating that the problem exists and runs against the advertised reputation of quality that Toyota portrays, but this is not Soviet Russia, where the car owns you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Seriously man if you're that unhappy with the truck, take advantage of the FJs' excellent resale value and get rid of it.
Gee, maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the thread starter is "suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser". Regarding that end: the design of the T.O. bearing assembly is not good. Again, a steel bearing riding on a non replaceable aluminum pilot shaft is not good.

Forums magnify small-scale problems like this 1,000,000x
So, for every 1,000,000 FJ's sold with a stick, only 1 will experience this ? Really ?

Look at the pics of the pilot shaft and T.O. bearing and tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
roadrunner,

I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say there.

I totally agree with you 100% that the issue needs to be fixed. All I'm saying is, Toyota has been at least partially unwilling to work FJ owners on this problem and the fender bugles, so if the mere existence of these problems is causing you mental anguish now, why not just sell the truck?

What I said about the forum(s) magnifying the actual issue wasn't intended to be an actual statistical figure. I think it would be pretty difficult to quantify the actual "magnification" of a vehicle issue by discussion forums, so I threw that number out there. My point is that when a few hundred members of a forum experience the SAME exact problem, and it is discussed by a few thousand people, there tends to be some magnification of the issue where those calling for an apology or recall or an engineer to commit suicide are really just experiencing a run of the mill phenomenon that happens all the time in the car industry. Personally I'm not surprised at all that Toyota is taking this long to come up with a solution for the problem. They are a f&%$!#g HUGE company, and we are asking them to have the response of a small R&D firm. That they responded to the fender tear issue by redesigning the part two times already is a sign that they do care, regardless of how insensitive some of their American representatives have been to us.

I think we can all agree that this is not a "prime time" in Toyota's history of building quality, reliable vehicles. But clearly that has not stopped anyone from buying a FJ. So we all just need to make the decision as to whether or not it's the right vehicle to own at this point in time.

Just trying to be real man, sorry if that came off as an attack on you :cheers:

Gee, maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the thread starter is "suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser". Regarding that end: the design of the T.O. bearing assembly is not good. Again, a steel bearing riding on a non replaceable aluminum pilot shaft is not good.

So, for every 1,000,000 FJ's sold with a stick, only 1 will experience this ? Really ?

Look at the pics of the pilot shaft and T.O. bearing and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The engineers didnt design the FJ to do the things that some of us do with them. Can it hit the trails and wheel all day long? yes, but it wasnt designed to. It was designed with the idea that 90%+ would never leave the road. This is why so many of us find we need to upgrade when stock parts just wont cut it. Many of the problems (not all) that we experience comes from pushing the vehicle to the limits offroad.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
that's exactly how i feel, even more so since my 60 series made it 250,000 miles without a serious FUBAR.
Sorry to hear about your problems, especially the interior plastic, thats one I haven't heard about before. The sad part is Toyota Customer Services response, there is no excuse for that type of response from what is labeled the "Customer Service Department".

No problems or complaints here :)
Same hear, I've been very happy with mine. And Consumer Reports just listed it as the most reliable mid-size SUV. While I take Consumer Report's opinion with a grain of salt, this is a relative comparison of reported defects which means a little more.

Well of course "sooner or later" it will puke, but what does that mean? Mine has 129,000 miles on it in 38 months and I haven't had any problems. This includes a lot of off-road mileage.

·
Registered
411 Posts
roadrunner,

I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say there.

I totally agree with you 100% that the issue needs to be fixed. All I'm saying is, Toyota has been at least partially unwilling to work FJ owners on this problem and the fender bugles, so if the mere existence of these problems is causing you mental anguish now, why not just sell the truck?
No mental anguish, just the feeling to make noise regarding something that's not right. Believe me, if people don't squawk, nothing will happen.
And I bought the truck, so I will stick with it. I am already designing my own pilot shaft and throwout bearing replacement in the event I get stiffed by Toyo. I have restored antique cars and tractors as a hobby for over 35 years and have a small shop, so this is not an impossible task.
Personally I'm not surprised at all that Toyota is taking this long to come up with a solution for the problem. They are a f&%$!#g HUGE company, and we are asking them to have the response of a small R&D firm.
Actually, I am surprised there isn't a fix yet. This T.O. bearing issue has been going on world wide in a number of Toyo lines (Tacoma, Prado, etc.) for a few years now. In anything with the 6 speed manual like the FJ has.
I think we can all agree that this is not a "prime time" in Toyota's history of building quality, reliable vehicles. But clearly that has not stopped anyone from buying a FJ.
Agreed. But...... the least Toyo could do on this is to issue a TSB so the poor customer doesn't have such a hard time getting their rightful repair.
Just trying to be real man, sorry if that came off as an attack on you :cheers:
Never took it as personal. In the same vein my vocalism is directed at a faceless entity, the 'Corporation'. I have a lot of empathy for the customer.

The engineers didnt design the FJ to do the things that some of us do with them.
True, but this T.O. bearing deal seems to occur no matter how the vehicle is driven.

I come off strongly on this issue because I worked as an application engineer in the auto industry for 30+ years. I have lost count on the number of trips we made across the pond to Japan and Korea re: Q.C. issues on various components used in the manufacture of automobiles. I knew at least a dozen engineers at each of FoMoCo, GM, and ChryCo (not to mention several foreign manufacturers) and most of us battled the same issues day in and day out. A very good design would be sent back for a re-design for purposes totally unrelated to the quality of the vehicle. I could tell you stories and you would call me a liar because they sound unbelievable. To the point of a clear danger to the consumer. There would actually be a couple dozen engineers and managers (both Japanese and American) bottled up in a room arguing about not whether the part would fail, rather it would be when and what the manufacturers liability would be in the worst case scenario (death of the customer). I'm not kidding ! One major auto manufacturer actually overrode the objections of the engineering staff and implemented the component change because the wife of the CEO did not want to put up with a particular noise issue that the original component caused in her car ! Never mind that the new component didn't nearly meet the life cycle requirement and the failure would definitely be life threatening. Some of this stuff kept me awake at night. Enough on that subject.

I'm pretty damn sure that Toyota knew the ramifications of dropping production of a bolt in steel T.O. bearing pilot shaft to be replaced by this aluminum non-replaceable pilot shaft. I still think that pending a permanent fix (if they issue one), there should be a TSB.

BTW, here is an excerpt from a letter sent to a Taco owner experiencing the identical problem with his 6 speed:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for your dissatisfaction with our previous reply. In addition, we apologize for the concern you are experiencing with your Tacoma, and we regret to hear of your dissatisfaction in this matter.

The warranty coverage for the throw-out bearing is three years / 36,000 miles, whichever comes first from the vehicle’s date of first use. Once the vehicle is outside of these warranty guidelines the cost of repairs becomes the owner’s responsibility.

NICE ! So if you hear a noise before 36k miles/3 years, better get yer' behind in gear and visit the dealer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well of course "sooner or later" it will puke, but what does that mean? Mine has 129,000 miles on it in 38 months and I haven't had any problems. This includes a lot of off-road mileage.
This is good news. Reputation is why I bought this vehicle. I wonder how many other stories there are like yours ? I wonder if we could get a more detailed poll going ? Something to include D.O.M., miles without a problem, if the problem has occurred more than once, how is the vehicle used, where is the vehicle used, etc..

Can I start a poll myself, or does the site administrator have to set it up ?

·
Registered
847 Posts
This is why I dumped my FJ. I was the first to get one on this forum, i was the first to dump it ;)

The thing has several quality issues. I loved the truck, but when stuff like the rear floor liner starts to bubble, dashboard starts to sag, fenders start to rip, it made me wonder, wtf is gonna happen next?! So I dumped it.

I'll stick to my faithful 02 4Runner. I'm looking at a 02 LX to replace the position of my FJ Cruiser. Was gonna buy a 2010 4Runner untill i seen its interior quality. Blah..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has the paint job gotten any better? My '07 Blk Cherry has a lot of little pits in the front and hood, probably from bugs. I had read on another forum that there was a problem with the paint chipping real easily. Has this issue been addressed in the 2010's or not? I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the Iceberg, hoping the pits will not show as badly..........:((

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
My dad (against my recommendation) bought a new Tacoma earlier this year. Wanna say it was a new 09. He has the manual transmission. Does this mean he has the same POS aluminum shaft?

What is the mean time to failure? How many miles? Offroaded a lot, or just Daily Driving?

Does Toyota have any plans for a steel shaft to replace the aluminum one?

Sean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts