Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking into my Christmas tree lights w OBD2 codes P0420 and P0430 meaning the catalytic converters may be bad. In looking around I found LTFTs of 12 at idle that increased to 14 at 3000 RPM in Park. Normal is under 5. This meant the engine was adding extra fuel. One cause is dirty fuel injectors. I used Sea Foam poured into the air intake vacuum port as per YouTube video and it worked great. Bank 1 (right side) LTFT is no 0.0 and Bank 2 (left) is now oscillating bw -1 and 1. I haven't measured the change in fuel efficiency. I'm guessing the extra rich exhaust coated by converters and baked em. Dunno. But for what it's worth I didn't have to take off my injectors and clean them. I didn't put it in my gas tank yet so I might do that, too. Otherwise I'm changing my cats myself at 150k miles.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Wow. I didn't know about this. I've done a number of other things but have not got the dramatic results you did. I'll give it a try and report back. Thank you!

Reactions: Slavik Fed

·
Registered
405 Posts
sea foam will clean the cats and O2 sensors. it would have no impact on the injectors. So monitor your O2 sensors now to see how fast they respond. It may be time to replace them if they get lazy on you. Also think about replacing the MAF. it does wear out over time where cleaning has no effect.

Run some sea foam in the gas for the fuel injectors.

Reactions: Slavik Fed

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned the MAF no change. Ended up replacing it no change. Put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank no change. The Seafoam in the intake worked so I'm guessing you're right the fuel injectors weren't the issue and the valves were likely very dirty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts