Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have buy AFE intake but i whant more power on my 2010 FJ cruiser !! Any solution? TRD supercharged are made for this version? Or turbo kit? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look into Underdog Racing Development. The Whipple Supercharger kit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,496 Posts
Have a read here

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
There is a long thread about Raptor tune. Grab an energy drink and give it a read.

Exhaust and Intake mods will get you a bit of HP. Proper maintenance is your best bet. Toyota is a long-life vehicle. Messing with it may give you more HP but will affect longevity.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,786 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the 2010 and stock airbox. Will be modding it after I get a snorkel. Stock exhaust. I first got the pedal commander, does not give extra hp but will make the throttle feel the way it was ment to. I run mine on city +2. And then I got the raptor tune. Its definitely a world of difference. Helps with shift points and towing.
I'm also running 285s. I recommend the tune and commander combo. If you dont wana put the money out for a sc.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks ! I whant + 50 hp
If you go with a Raptor Tune you can get more than 50HP. My 2010 has:
Raptor Performance Tune 91+ PON or 98 RON Fuel
Magnflow 24" Muffler
K&N intake tube kit

That's all you need and your torque will come on immediately from 2000 all the way up to 5500 RPM

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I went with Magnuson's supercharger for the 2010+ engine. You can find my write-up here: 101Firedog's Firedog: ARCA9 > Magnuson Supercharger (2010+)

These were my at-the-wheel dyno results:
  • Peak Horsepower: +27.2 = +13.9% (196.8 -> 224)
  • Peak Torque (ft-lbs): +45.9 = +24.6% (186.3 -> 232.2)
  • 3500 RPM Horsepower: +37.5 = +30% (112.5 -> 150)
  • 3500 RPM Torque (ft-lbs): +53 = +31% (170.5 -> 223.5)

The Magnuson SC as it comes is a "daily driver" solution: bolt-on, doesn't change MPG, only requires 91 (US) octane fuel, CARB (California)-legal. There's definitely a lot more power to be squeezed out of the FJ if you don't mind giving up MPG, street-legality, or fuel-compatibility.

URD claims +power numbers with their SC that seem pretty amazing.. but they also upgrade the fuel pump and add a fuel injector as part of the kit; Magnuson doesn't. I haven't seen anyone on the forums with before-and-after at-the-wheel dyno results for URD's SC system.

I have also observed marginal power gains by adding a snorkel and a larger exhaust - +2% HP and +5% torque from the snorkel, and +2% HP and +1% torque from the exhaust. Also, weight on your hubs - your rims and tires - will reduce your effective "wheel horsepower" and torque. If you can drop 10 or more pounds off your hubs' weight by going for a lighter rim or a lighter tire, that should also make a difference - though I do not have dyno numbers for my FJ for that, so I cannot suggest how much difference it might make. I can say that I have nearly 100 lbs on each of my hubs, and that plus the regular drivetrain losses are what took my stock engine from 260HP at the crankshaft as published by Toyota, to the 196.8 HP measured at the wheels on the dyno. There probably isn't more than 30 HP to gain there, but I'd guess it would be closer to 10 if you find some really lightweight rims & tires. Still, every little bit can add up!

If you just want raw power, it sounds like (though I can't confirm) that the URD supercharger + a custom tune from a local garage is probably the single biggest power gain you can get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts