Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new fj and want to lift the nose up a little bit but want to do it rite. I plan to 4 wheel the vehicle. any suggestions? Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i would like to level out the fj. I would rather spend a bit more and do it rite, rather than skimp and be left out on some trail.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
actually i would like to level out the fj. I would rather spend a bit more and do it rite, rather than skimp and be left out on some trail.
Take a look here:
Complete Lift Kits - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

Toytec, Icon or Radflo kits are all great. Pricey, but worth it. Adjustable front coilovers give you ability to get level to perfection. Needless to say any of those kits by a mile better then stock suspension :bigthumb:

Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ivan. The coil overs look like the best way to go . Thanks Jeff By the way i like your fj looks good

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Thanks man :)
On the side note, if you want to just level it and have ability to lift in the future, you can start just with coilovers, not the whole kit, set them to 1-1.5" lift, that will pretty much level your FJ. In the future, if you want to lift higher, all you do is crank coilovers to desired lift and get spacers for the rear. Most common are Daystar 1.5" rear spacers. They are like 60-80 dollars for a set. If you use those, you can lift front up to 2.5" that will give you dead on level, or 3" if you like front higher then rear.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you just want it level, do what I did - OME 883's and new bilstein 513s up front.
I don't think that spacers are a great idea because they just preload the suspension to push it up higher. And you typically have to disassemble the front coilover to install them. If you have to go that far you might as well spend the $350 and get the shocks and springs and do it right.. If you want a winch and bumper later get the heaver OME springs (885, 886).
One other benefit is that with a stiffer front it doesn't nose dive in hard braking conditions.
Work on the coilover assembly can be dangerous, so unless you have a press, you might want to consider having someone do that part. Getting the assembly on and off the truck is not that big a deal.
HTH..

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
You need to consider if you want extra travel associated with the lift?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spacers really is not the way to go if you plan to go offroad. Spacer lift only physically lift the vehicle without any additonal wheel travel gain...its really a show thing. Spring wise, IMO going with longer spring does help with lift and helps with load, but longer spring generally means more coils.. in some cases, when the coil completely compressed, it actually takes away travel unless the spring purch position is altered to compensate for the added compressed coil length. Depends on how much time you planning on spending offroading, if every weekend and tackling some tough terrain trails, coil-over is worth the investment. If not, Bilstein 5100 Adjustable ride height shocks for the front is a good choice in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
whether it`s spacer lift or 5100s or adjustable coilovers it`s same travel, limited by length of the shock`s rod. The difference is, adjustable`s and 5100s are work in the similar way, achieving lift by compressing the coil. And spacers...they are just spacers lol. They change the length of coilover assembly without affecting a coil. Suspension travel will remain the same, unless it`s a true long travel suspension. Just my 02c

·
Registered
82 Posts
whether it`s spacer lift or 5100s or adjustable coilovers it`s same travel, limited by length of the shock`s rod. The difference is, adjustable`s and 5100s are work in the similar way, achieving lift by compressing the coil. And spacers...they are just spacers lol. They change the length of coilover assembly without affecting a coil. Suspension travel will remain the same, unless it`s a true long travel suspension. Just my 02c
Yeah, if the 5100 is the same length as the OE, but 5100 is actually slightly longer than OE. If the 5100 is the same length as OE, yes the travel would be the same. Just the spacer changes the roll-center of the vehicle, which technically is not safe for off-roading compare to the 5100 setup. Here is a PDF file link to Bilstein's 5100 Height Adjust compare to Spacer lifts. It's all good, we all just trying to help. :)

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts