Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post this great pic of the upcoming FJ Cruiser engine bay. Notice how neat and uncluttered the engine bay is. I must admit that I hate the plastic engine shroud, but it makes the engine bay look cleaner. Ahhhh, I love Toyota engineering!

MMMmmmm....these look very familiar

2007 Fj Cruiser 4.0 engine bay

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0 engine bay

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Looks better with the prototype supercharger on it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Percy said:
Looks better with the prototype supercharger on it!
I agree, but as I get older I get wiser. Let's see. Purchase the FJC and throw on supercharger. Now you have added stress (heat) on everything from the transmission to the driveshaft universal joints. Durability goes down, as well as fuel mileage. I will never again mess with aftermarket engine modification parts if it's not warrantied from the factory. Now a factory Toyota TRD supercharger....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well yeah.... not like I'm gonna throw a Roush charger on it or something. The TRD Supercharger for the 4.0 ltre V-6 is in the development stages, they mentioned something about it possibly being available come summer.

It was on the concept tacoma x-runner at the SEMA show. It's just the prototype, but they speculated a summer delivery for the supercharger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is Toyota using the same Tacoma engine on the FJ? because I looked at the sticker on a Tacoma 4X4 double cab and it said 231 HP and 6500lbs towing capacity

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It appears to be, but the HP and towing capacity numbers I have heard or seen seem to range from 4500lbs - 6500 lbs and the HP from 231 - 249...

I don't know where the varying numbers are coming from. It is a 4.0 liter V-6 with VVT-i. I would assume it is the same as the Tacoma.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
mini2nut said:
I agree, but as I get older I get wiser. Let's see. Purchase the FJC and throw on supercharger. Now you have added stress (heat) on everything from the transmission to the driveshaft universal joints. Durability goes down, as well as fuel mileage. I will never again mess with aftermarket engine modification parts if it's not warrantied from the factory. Now a factory Toyota TRD supercharger....
this has always been a problem with the 3.4L TRD supercharger, to get good reliable performance out of it without overstressing the rest of your drivetrain you have to upgrade all manner of things from the cooling system on up.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
At this point, I just want an FJ Cruiser, we'll talk mods in a later discussion - of that I am sure.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Percy said:
It appears to be, but the HP and towing capacity numbers I have heard or seen seem to range from 4500lbs - 6500 lbs and the HP from 231 - 249...

I don't know where the varying numbers are coming from. It is a 4.0 liter V-6 with VVT-i. I would assume it is the same as the Tacoma.
according to toyota , look under the specifications section, the numbers are:239 HP and 279 Lb-ft torque. they dont give any towing capacities, but you are probably right, somewhere around what the V6 taco which maxes out at 6500 lbs, the v6 4runner tops out at 5000 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts