Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a new member and I am interested in purchasing a used Fj. I already own a Land Cruiser Prado and I would like to ask If someone could answer the following questions:
What type of 4 wheel drive does the Fj has ? Is it permanent like the Prado or Selectable?
What type of limited slip differential ? Atrack or airlocker?
Regards

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What year FJ are you looking for?

manual transmission you have the full time 4wheel drive

automatic then you have a part time 4wheel drive system

Great thread on this forum here, explaining it all:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Manual FJ's have full time AWD with a center diff that locks when placed in 4wd.
Auto 4x4s are RWD only when in 2hi.
Both manuals and autos were available with optional electric locking rear diff.
Both were available with ATRAC.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
another way to say it:

the auto FJ has no center diff, it can be locked (but this is not recommended for use on dry pavement)

the manual FJ has a Torsen center differential which continuously varies the torque going to whichever end has the most traction. It can be locked, for special circumstances.

On both AT and MT, the vehicle skid control is disabled when the center is locked.

Just in case it is useful, attached is a visual showing the various features.

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
6,046 Posts
Manual FJ has exactly the same drivetrain & chassis as a Prado. Only difference is the center diff/transfer case which has a physical linkage rather than being operated by a servo - it's the same transfer case mechanically, it just has the servo to actuate.
Auto is part time 4WD (different transfer case and has an actuator on the front axle to disengage when in RWD) but otherwise the same as a Prado.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts