Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to let you all know that for those of us who have had the slight steering wheel shake/shimmy at highway speeds, that Toyota released a TSB this December. If this isn't news to anyone, let me know, I'll delete this one to not clog up the forums. My searches didn't net any results.

Service Bulletin 368419 for Toyota STEERING | AutoMD

I have had a slight shimmy at 55-70 felt only in the steering wheel since about the 1st mile I put on the FJ. I did have AT's immediately put onto my FJ when I bought it, and I assumed from day one that the issue was with the tires.

I went into discount tire at 500 miles, and they found all tires were well balanced. The Discount Tire guys up here in MN have always treated me well, and this time was no different: they went the extra mile by road-force balancing them just to be sure nothing was off. The tire/wheel combo was in sync, and everything seemed great. I was thrilled until the shimmy returned 200 miles later, but it wasn't noticeable, and I easily ignored it. After a few thousand miles it went away. I figured it was, again, the tires - coupled with a very sensitive FJ cruiser, and chalked it up to the tread wearing down a bit. It would come and go, and any time the tires were rotated it would come back pretty heavily but fade away after another thousand miles or so.

I just went in to Toyota for a tire rotation, and mentioned the issue to the technicians (I bring it up in passing every time I'm in to see if a different person has thoughts on it). The service manager dug around and came up with the TSB released a few months after my last tire rotation. We went out for a test drive, and the vibrations I dealt with the whole way to the dealership had vanished. I was disappointed to not be able to show them what was going on, but we decided to rotate the tires and then test it again. Sure enough, after the rotation the vibes were back and the service manager ordered the parts for the TSB.

They had it for a few days, and while I would have been hesitant to drop the FJ off knowing the scope of the labor and dis-assembly it would be going through, I am really happy to know that the issue was recognized and that these steps may correct it. The technicians, advisors, and managers at this dealership are phenomenal, and I have (and will) continue making the longer drive to use them.

UPDATE: This job sounds like it was a hell of a lot of work. The service adviser, and the manager there both stated it was a PITA for the technicians involved, but that they got it taken care of. With the FJ back I can say that the shimmy seems to be mostly gone at speeds under 60mph.

UPDATE #2 : I did have a chance to drive it at, or over 60 mph today for quite awhile, and low and behold, I still have a shimmy. I noticed CBNG also had a slight vibe which he states he left it to the dealer to correct. I'm going to be bringing mine back in next week for another appraisal.

UPDATE #3 : The FJ went back to dealership. They confirmed the exact same vibration felt before the TSB was performed still exists. They are trying wheels/tires from another FJ, and are going road force balance again to see if it responds differently.

UPDATE #4 : Dealership road-force balanced the tires again. They did a very good job, but there was a slight shimmy still felt. RFB showed one tire with a value at around 20. After researching the Michelin LTX's and what other people are running them at, as well as comparing the specs on them to the TT's BFG's, I found that running them at the stock 32 PSI cold was just too low. I bumped them up to approximately 37PSI all around and the vibration is almost completely absent.

UPDATE #5 : I've been running the FJ about 1200 miles since the final RFB and have found a happy medium of 37PSI front 34 PSI rear with the Michelin's listed in my signature.

Lessons learned: Ask whoever is balancing your tires the last time their RFB machine was calibrated. FJ's are sensitive - so ask them if you can see the RFB numbers. Tires that aren't usually considered out of round, might actually be causing an issue for your vehicle. Try slightly bumping up tire pressure - look up "chalk testing", and use it to ensure you aren't over-inflating and causing incorrect wear. The door-jam recommended pressure is ONLY proven to work for the stock dunlops the FJ comes from the factory on. Don't assume it works for your FJ or new tires.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Interesting. Why is it only on the 10-13 model? I check rockauto and there are two different PN's for the rack and pinion. I will definitely sub to this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Shows for 2010-2013 only.
maybe they think there's no issue for 07-09, or any issues have long ago gone away ... typical ... out of sight out of mind ...
:thinkerg:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Too funny. After 5-6 alignments, and buying new tires(tire manufacturer ate partial costs) this comes out. The funny part is I have a case number with Toyota corporate about the issues that they denied payment on back in October for the replacement of the tires and the many alignments.

The tire manufacturer admitted issues with the tire that we're unable to be balanced.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Interesting. Why is it only on the 10-13 model? I check rockauto and there are two different PN's for the rack and pinion. I will definitely sub to this thread.
Because there were significant changes in 2010 for the 2010+ trucks and they exhibit this issue far more easily then previous models.

I'm not going to link to the billion threads here on the shake but here is the Lexus TSB

Lexus TSB

Maybe the dealer can use it as reference because it definitely doesn't discuss removing the engine

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yeah this isn't my first rodeo and I consider my self mechanically inclined. What I can tell from my experience is that the FJ seems sensitive to tire/wheels/etc anything in the front end cause shimmy/shake. I have heard of the damper spring being replaced before, but Ive only seen one thread on it being replaced. Would be interesting to see if this solves the problem for you.

You can say my shaking/shimmy is similar to your story. Does it intermittently, seems like after x amount of miles it is reduced. A lot of factors can be involved in this though and I don't feel like typing the never ending shimmy saga rant.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Too funny. After 5-6 alignments, and buying new tires(tire manufacturer ate partial costs) this comes out. The funny part is I have a case number with Toyota corporate about the issues that they denied payment on back in October for the replacement of the tires and the many alignments. Maybe one of my lawyers should send a demand letter.

The tire manufacturer admitted issues with the tire that we're unable to be balanced.
I had the same thing going on with the dealer and Toyota corporate and they denied all my claims and bills I submitted for balancing and alignments and bs. All in all I said forget it put a lift on and went from 265>285>305 and don't have any problems. Never looked back but now I want to go back to that stupid service manager and tattoo that tsb number on his forehead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am very interested to see how this turns out. I only have 6k miles left on the warranty for my 2013 FJ so it would be nice to have a fix done by Toyota.

I have put three different sets of tires on my FJ and I had the shimmy with all of them. The current Michelin M/S2's that I have are mostly good but I still get in sometimes. It would be really nice if the TSB fixes the problem as I'd like to run an A/T tire.

Edit: does anyone have a link to the actual TSB (not just the AutoMD link)?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
^^^It's so new I don think it's hit the web yet. I got a service manager buddy that just recently moved from Toyota so I asked if he could call in a favor from someone he knows and see if they can get a copy for me. I'll post if I'm able to get it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
YA HOOOOOEY !!!...

Just been approved, this hour, for the TOYOTA FJ Cruiser "Miley Cyrus Twerking" TSB!

Part is back ordered but hopefully scheduled to be installed within next two weeks.

I can't wait to get rid of Miley Cyrus's butt off of my steering wheel...

:blueblob:

·
Registered
865 Posts
^^^It's so new I don think it's hit the web yet. I got a service manager buddy that just recently moved from Toyota so I asked if he could call in a favor from someone he knows and see if they can get a copy for me. I'll post if I'm able to get it.
It's hit the web for the service advisors so far, and they are the only ones who can pull up the vin numbers.

Mine has the parts on order to fix it. I think it's the similar parts that went into the Lexus'. I will update as soon as the parts get installed.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
It's hit the web for the service advisors so far, and they are the only ones who can pull up the vin numbers.

Mine has the parts on order to fix it. I think it's the similar parts that went into the Lexus'. I will update as soon as the parts get installed.
By the web I mean the Internet. Not internal Toyota Corp. communications ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
By the web I mean the Internet. Not internal Toyota Corp. communications ;)

Toyota Dealers, now have it on internal channels, that's how my dealer was able to verify my ranting, raving, threatening posture than my uncontrollable crying, begging, pleading and feigned nervous breakdown... To have the work approved :)

:blueblob:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Subscribed. My FJ is from another country, well past the warranty, and only exibits the Miley shake with 35" tires. Assuming they also have a TSB for 07-09 models, I'll probably just do the repair myself.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Thanks for this info. My 11 does it but I'm sure they will say it has to do with the lift and mud terrains!
Dude try anyway. Once there is a TSB the dealer gets paid from Toyota to perform it irregardless of why it's being done. Customer request (complaint) is valid in these cases

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks for this info. My 11 does it but I'm sure they will say it has to do with the lift and mud terrains!
They didn't ask me if I had a lift or different tires. They only asked for the vin. I'm still stock for the most part, but I don't think it should matter for the TSB.....an issues is still an issue.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts