Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
In Canada it probably doesn't exist.

Toyota Canada and Toyota USA are two seperate business units.....what happens in/with one does not mean it will happen with the other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2007 with aluminum factory wheels and Michelin tires was never a problem for years.
Bought new wheels and bigger goodyears. All was great until I did my first rotation. first thing I did was take it in and had the road force balance done. All was good when I left the store for the first mile then it came back. So when I had a chance I checked all the weights, that looked good but during the inspection I found a scuff on one of the front wheels, First thought was, I bent a rim goofing around so I changed out that wheel from front to spare. No luck. Just so happens I spot a crack in pass side cv boot so I changed both front axles. looking over the brakes again (just put new calipers on it also) rotor on drivers side inside was pretty scarred, looked like it sat for a few years and then was driven and shined up. So put some slotted and drilled rotors on it. Past two days its been fine. Its not hard to believe that it was some of the issue..
One other thing I did was clean up the wheel seat on the hub and the wheel cap area where it sits on the rim every time I removed the wheel for repairs. The first time that looked pretty nasty and maybe throwing things ****eyed. So we will see how long this lasts. I think that this thread is kind of pointing to how sensitive the FJ is on the steering and front end, and how perfect it all needs to be.
Has anyone tried the beads in tire fix? seems simple, kinda baling wire and bubble gum to me but hey, if it works it works!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Dealer wants $2000 to do this out of warranty! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Did it solve your shaking completely?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I never got it done. I had 15" BFG MT on aftermarket steel rims and 1.25" spider trax spacers.

I brought it to get it balanced to a local tire shop and it didn't solve it. Took it to Toyota who wanted to charge me $800 but the tech said before I did that I should ditch the spacers and 15" steel rims.

I ended up buying new 16" TRD rims from Toyota of Dallas and had them shipped to my friends tire shop and put 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT2 and it rides 10000 times better. No wheel shake at all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i drive mine and im going about 50+ and i try to brake a little hard than usual my sterring wheel shakes is that what your talking about or is that normal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2007 FJ with about 85,000 miles on it.

I spent the last 4 years fighting with the shimmy issue.

Brief History:

OEM Tires wore out in 2009. Replaced with Definty Dakota A/T's from Pep Boys. After about 1500 miles I started getting noticeable (and irritating) shake at around 70mph.

Went back to Pep Boys and Tried the Dakota H/T's. No dice, even after they "passed" roadforce balancing at my local Toyota. Pep Boys agreed to refund my money if I brought them back in after putting on new tires.

Went to Sears and bought a set of Michelin MS2's. The shake was now at its worst. After the Sears service manager took a ride with me and agreed it was unacceptable, they paid to have the wheels roadforced at Toyota. Three additional tires later, Toyota proclaimed that I had a "good set."

After that I decided to call it good enough and found a sweet spot at 38 psi. The problem came and went with the temperature for the next 2 years until I started noticing some suspect cracking and chipping in the tread of the Michelins. Went back into Sears...Michelin took one look at the pictures and agreed to reimburse me for purchase cost on (3) of the tires if I had Sears provide the next set of tires (thanks Michelin, and a shout out to Albert at my local Ocala Sears)! Apparently this was a rubber compound issue they had run into before, it looked like the tread was getting ready to peel off.

I decided that the factory rims were most likely the issue, and set out looking for new rims that would be front-weightable. I ended up buying a set of (5) factory take-off steel wheels from a Toyota dealership on Ebay, plus lug nuts and locks from Wheeler's Offroad. Once I had everything I had Sears order me a set of General Grabber A/T2's, and waited a few days for them to show up.

They had the tires in (3) days and installed them one night after work. I have been keeping them at 38 psi and have had zero issues or shake with the new tires/wheels in the last 7 months.

I am really happy I stuck with it, there was a point that I was thinking about selling the truck from the constant aggravation. I love my truck again, it handles much better with the A/T's than the previous (2) sets of road tires. I have even played with the tire pressure to see if I can cause the shaking...I think it is definitely gone at this point.

I also replaced the front rotors/pads about 18 months ago, which appeared to help somewhat before the last set of tires solved the remaining shake.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jesus, please explain.

I was told that the problem was incorrect preload on the rack and pinion. Spent $250+ on a special Snap-On torque-wrench that measures an infinitesimal amount of torque (don't remember what the range was, but ridiculously small/low). Seemed to fix the issue, but now it's back.

I'm seriously considering converting my HKG3 back to selective-fire and putting the beotch out of my misery...

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cross-posting this here in case it helps anyone out...

2013 TT here... just picked it up this past December. Stock BFG KO's and 16" rims. My FJ definitely had the shimmies between 55mph-70mph.

Finally had some time to bring the FJ to my dealership this morning (they quoted me $59 total for road force balancing - best price I could find in my area).

After about 2 hours... they gave me my FJ back... they said the balancing went well and they moved my front tires/wheels to the back due to some variance (can't remember their exact words).

I immediately jumped onto the highway. Wow... what a difference. If the shimmies rated at a 10 before the road force balancing... the shimmies are now a 0... maybe a 0.5 at times. Basically gone.

I was worried I was going to have to drop $1k on new tires to solve the shimmy... but I definitely recommend doing a road force balancing first.

Woohoo!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
(they quoted me $59 total for road force balancing - best price I could find in my area).
Wow my dealership wants $125+ for four tires. One other place in town wants $25 per tire!:surprise

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been fighting the wheel flutter since my tire rotation at 20k. It has gotten worse over the last 5k miles so I had the dealer balance the tires. Then 2 weeks later they balanced them again, this time road force bal. Flutter came right back. I rotated the tires yesterday and there was no change, it might happen 5 mph earlier now. I dropped the pressure to 32 then up to 50, also ran 45 and 40. No real change but is less annoying at 50 psi. I take it in tomorrow with a copy of the tsb and am going to suggest remounting the tires 180 deg out. 2 of my tires have way too much balancing weight on them, like 30 quarter oz weights. If that doesn't work I will push for the tsb. Not thrilled with them pulling the rack, it is a ton of work. thanks for this thread and all the information. I will post how it goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been fighting the wheel flutter since my tire rotation at 20k. It has gotten worse over the last 5k miles so I had the dealer balance the tires. Then 2 weeks later they balanced them again, this time road force bal. Flutter came right back. I rotated the tires yesterday and there was no change, it might happen 5 mph earlier now. I dropped the pressure to 32 then up to 50, also ran 45 and 40. No real change but is less annoying at 50 psi. I take it in tomorrow with a copy of the tsb and am going to suggest remounting the tires 180 deg out. 2 of my tires have way too much balancing weight on them, like 30 quarter oz weights. If that doesn't work I will push for the tsb. Not thrilled with them pulling the rack, it is a ton of work. thanks for this thread and all the information. I will post how it goes.
I have to very same wheel and tire combo as you do. Except mine are the xd revolvers 17inch and my tires are nitto 265 where yours are 285s I think and I drive a 2013 iceberg. When I first bought the truck it drove fine with the stock wheels. I later bought the xd revolvers and kept my nittos ats because they were still basically brand new. Soon as they put the wheels on it went to shimming at highway speeds for the first time. After reading and etc. I had to have them road forced balanced by a GOOD tire shop to fix it. A couple other shops in my area balanced them with no changed. But the road force fixed it 90 percent I would say. Then a couple weeks later I added a bilstein 5100 lift and the remaining 10 percent shimmey went away. So for now knock on wood im smooth as butter. I would suggest if you dont want toyota to do the tsb search around for a GOOD tire shop who can actually road force balance correctly. Its a shame our fjs are so touchy when it comes to this. Good luck man.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned here in the last 20 pages, a good tire shop (Big O here in Missouri) and Nitto Terra Grapplers were what made mine buttery smooth. They've stayed that way after 10K miles and at all speeds.
I'm on the stock 2008 Trail Teams wheels, no spacers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to very same wheel and tire combo as you do. Except mine are the xd revolvers 17inch and my tires are nitto 265 where yours are 285s I think and I drive a 2013 iceberg. When I first bought the truck it drove fine with the stock wheels. I later bought the xd revolvers and kept my nittos ats because they were still basically brand new. Soon as they put the wheels on it went to shimming at highway speeds for the first time. After reading and etc. I had to have them road forced balanced by a GOOD tire shop to fix it. A couple other shops in my area balanced them with no changed. But the road force fixed it 90 percent I would say. Then a couple weeks later I added a bilstein 5100 lift and the remaining 10 percent shimmey went away. So for now knock on wood im smooth as butter. I would suggest if you dont want toyota to do the tsb search around for a GOOD tire shop who can actually road force balance correctly. Its a shame our fjs are so touchy when it comes to this. Good luck man.

Thanks for the response, that really helps. I bought this FJ with the wheel tire combo new from the dealer. It shook with 10 miles on it and they were able to smooth it out with the road force balance. It didn't reappear until the 20k rotation. I have been looking around for tire shops that do road force, but only the dealers around here have the equipment. I am on my way to the dealer for try 3 in a month but so far they have only charged me $55, unfortunately it's still broke. I had the 5100's on my first rig. They handle better than the OME's I have on this one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone here have the tsb done and regret the outcome? Been dealing with the shimmy for 5 years and want it fixed but would hate to press Toyota and have them make it worse some how.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went back to the Dealer last week for the third time to see what they could do about the shake. This Service rep told me that the tsb was only for stock wheels and they would not do it with after market wheels. They agreed to road force balance all 4 wheels this time, not sure what they were doing the last two times. It is way better this time and the tech claimed that the tires were all out of balance, again not sure what they did the last two times they worked on it. I don't think that I will be going back to this dealer for any future tire or alignment issues. Hopefully they will stay balanced until I need new tires.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts