Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Took my 2013 TT to the dealer. They claimed to have put stock rims/tires on and drove it with no shake. They said they won't do the TSB because of my aftermarket wheels, front level kit and rear airbags. I'm taking it to a local shop who I discussed all this with. He even pulled up the TSB and looked at it. He thinks he can help me out with balancing and checking for bad rims or tires. We'll see. May have to put the TRD wheels back on.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Took my 2013 TT to the dealer. They claimed to have put stock rims/tires on and drove it with no shake. They said they won't do the TSB because of my aftermarket wheels, front level kit and rear airbags. I'm taking it to a local shop who I discussed all this with. He even pulled up the TSB and looked at it. He thinks he can help me out with balancing and checking for bad rims or tires. We'll see. May have to put the TRD wheels back on.

Try a road force balance. My moms truck just got one I swear it is smoother than when it was still in the showroom.

Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tried that. Just picked it up yesterday from a regular old repair shop with a regular old tire balancer and a tech. that knows tires. 99.9% better. He did say my stock BFG's were bad though. I'll see how it goes for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've a 2011 Trail Teams, OEM tires with 57K on them. Getting ready to change the rubber and read through this lineage of posts, yes, I too have had by battles with the SHIMMY! It really stinks that this fine vehicle can have such a PITA problem. Had various Yota dealers balance the tires, had Discount Tire balances performed, local tire reps evaluate.... nada, no dice (they just think I'm nuts..... well, maybe true).

BUT, as an engineer.... here's what I noticed: Temperature does make a difference (at least in my FJ), when it's ~60 degrees or warmer and speeds above low to mid-50's she starts gettin' excited in her front end, take her up to 60, 70 and she's rockin' like an imbalanced washing machine! The hotter the ambient temperature, the worse the front end shake. So it's gotta be a polymer, rubber or non-metal component breaking down at higher temp's (note: all the "tire experts" say there's nothing wrong with the tires). Yes, I had the road force balance done so many times, I could have bought my own damn balancing machine!

I'm not convinced the Yota engineers have a solution (economical) from reading through the results of the folks that did the TSB baloney. This may be why they discontinued offering the FJ from their production in the USA (just kidding.... I realize it's a CAFE thing and Yota had to dump a few models to keep their noses clean with the US gubmn't, so they don't get busted like the Germ's did at VW. Well, if anyone comes up with a permanent solution, please let me know so I can re-design the front end suspension (if that's whet it takes). Cheers.....

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I've a 2011 Trail Teams, OEM tires with 57K on them. Getting ready to change the rubber and read through this lineage of posts, yes, I too have had by battles with the SHIMMY! It really stinks that this fine vehicle can have such a PITA problem. Had various Yota dealers balance the tires, had Discount Tire balances performed, local tire reps evaluate.... nada, no dice (they just think I'm nuts..... well, maybe true).

BUT, as an engineer.... here's what I noticed: Temperature does make a difference (at least in my FJ), when it's ~60 degrees or warmer and speeds above low to mid-50's she starts gettin' excited in her front end, take her up to 60, 70 and she's rockin' like an imbalanced washing machine! The hotter the ambient temperature, the worse the front end shake. So it's gotta be a polymer, rubber or non-metal component breaking down at higher temp's (note: all the "tire experts" say there's nothing wrong with the tires). Yes, I had the road force balance done so many times, I could have bought my own damn balancing machine!

I'm not convinced the Yota engineers have a solution (economical) from reading through the results of the folks that did the TSB baloney. This may be why they discontinued offering the FJ from their production in the USA (just kidding.... I realize it's a CAFE thing and Yota had to dump a few models to keep their noses clean with the US gubmn't, so they don't get busted like the Germ's did at VW. Well, if anyone comes up with a permanent solution, please let me know so I can re-design the front end suspension (if that's whet it takes). Cheers.....

Have you tried a road force. Had it done to my fj. No more shimmy!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks to everyone sharing what they've tried and what worked. I've been fighting this shimmy/shake issue since I put brand new 16'' TRD wheels with stock sized Duratracs on my wife's new FJ with only 250 miles. Everything was smooth before the new wheels and tires after that, not so much.

The problem would come and go and finally I got tired of getting the tires rebalanced so I left it. That was until it got so bad my wife actually pulled over on the highway one day because she was concerned with it shaking so badly. Back to yet another tire shop...another marginal improvement...and then back to the shaking a few hundred miles later. Three different shops balanced the tires multiple times with varying degrees of success (...or should I say failure). I'll definitely be requesting the Road Force balance before totally giving up on these wheels and tires.

FWIW, I was quite impressed with the America's Tire shop in Bend, OR and how they tried to resolve the problem. I explained the issue I've had with the tires for over 20k miles and how nobody can seem to resolve it. They actually ordered an entirely new set of tires and said they'd replace them since I purchased the extra warranty. Of course the shaking temporarily disappeared at the time so I couldn't, in good conscience, let them replace all the tires. Of course the shaking returned a couple months later. :frown

·
Registered
81 Posts
After reading this section, I'm depressed, but still looking for the best guidance on what to do next.

FJ 13 with a 2 1/2" lift, balanced, stock wheels, and Cooper Discoverer AT/3 tires (265 70R17).

45,000 miles.

The lift and tires were put on a year ago - no problems at all - smooth highway driving. Never a problem. Never.

The tires were last rotated by the dealer 4 months ago.

The max tire pressure on these tires is 44 psi. I've kept them at 40 psi with no problems: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/497913-calculate-new-tire-pressure.html

About 2 weeks ago, I started to experience what I'd say is a noticeable and unmistakable vibration at 60-72 mph on the highway. I don't experience it below 60 mph, or above 72. It's not just the steering wheel that vibrates though. It's felt throughout the entire vehicle, but most noticeable on the steering wheel.

I've never had this before and it's disconcerting. 1) It's annoying since that's the speed I drive on the highway, and 2) I have teen drivers and would prefer they have a smooth ride and not feel like something is wrong when they drive on the highway.

It started to get colder a few weeks ago, so I figured lower tire pressure was the cause. The tires were definitely down to around 35 so now they are all at 40.

No change.

I do not want to go to the dealer and have them tell me "Tough, it's not stock anymore so it's your problem," and pay a ton of money for that privilege.

1) Should I go into a tire shop for a re-balancing?
a) Is that likely the issue since nothing else changed?
b) What is a road force balancing and should I ask for that?

2) Do I need a tire alignment?
a) Front and rear, or is that a tire shop up-sell waste of money?

I see many of you have suffered seemingly for years with this, but I'm hoping there is a simple fix for my issue since it didn't appear until very recently.

What should I have done that will not send me down the rabbit hole of losing a lot of money without getting this corrected?

·
Registered
203 Posts
One thing to consider is how the dealer rotated the tires. For me, when I was having this problem it seemed that one tire/wheel caused it. I'm pretty confident that when I had the dealer road force balance my tires, they put the one that was causing the issues on the spare tire. I typically do my own maintenance, so when time came to rotate the tires, of course I did a 5-tire rotation. This is when I noticed the vibration return, but not as bad as it was previously. I'm a firm believer that it either has something to do with the stock wheels or tires (or both). I just replaced my stock wheels and tires with some Method wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, and the ride is amazing... with no shakes or vibrations.

Maybe this isn't the issue for you, but you may consider whether a 5 tire rotation was being done for each rotation, and if you have one "bad" wheel/tire, where that one was installed on the FJ.

Just my .02...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe this isn't the issue for you, but you may consider whether a 5 tire rotation was being done for each rotation, and if you have one "bad" wheel/tire, where that one was installed on the FJ.

Just my .02...
You're right. It should be a 5-tire rotation, and they may not have done that. BUT....I drove it for 4 months after the rotation with no issues at all at those speeds. Now, seemingly out of the blue, I have the problem.

I know nothing about tires. I think I have them inflated to the correct PSI (40), or at least a PSI that gave me no problems in the past. Is it possible for tires to just become un-balanced on their own?

I guess what I'm seeking to understand is, when I go to the tire shop, should I just ask for a rotation and re-balancing, or is this a symptom of also needing the front and rear tires aligned as well?

I'm guessing I need to pay for the alignment just so that I'm not going back twice.

·
Registered
754 Posts
In October I had Discount Tire do the 5 tire rotate. (I have 5 BFG KO2's that I purchased in October 2015 that I have had rotated and rebalanced 2 previous times without issue). The previous owner had purchased 4 aftermarket wheels and when I had the new tires installed, I picked up the 5th matching wheel.

This time it introduced a steering wheel shake/shimmy in the 55-60 MPH range. I had them do it again, figuring I got a rookie or someone who didn't quite do it right previously, and while some of it was gone, it wasn't like it had been. I went back in today and they took some time with it, and apparently for my aftermarket wheels, I think they said they tried the finger plate and didn't like what it was doing, and the cones they were using were not fitting 100% properly, so apparently there is a plastic spacer ring that they used and said it allowed them to balance things properly. Funny thing is, I had received one of these plastic rings when I bought the 5th wheel from them, but they never said anything about needing it to balance the wheels, etc.

They asked me to try it out and confirm, and I did just that. I came back and confirmed with them that it seemed to be gone (had it at 55- 60 for a good bit, and even punched it up to 75/80 for a bit) and that the balance seemed like what it had been before this last rotate and rebalance. They then gave me the plastic ring and told me to make sure and give it to them and have them use it on any subsequent rebalances.

I guess the cones were fitting ok, but not good enough on previous attempts to keep the wheel centered properly on the machine.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Find a shop with a Hunter road force balancer. Also, ensure the lugs are torqued properly, that has cause me issues before. I loosen lugs and retorque every time now. I have no issues with E range KO2s.....smoooooooth. That's an '08 TTSE with 99.2k miles, factory TRD wheels, 265/75-16 KO2s. Just went on a burger run to Freddy's just to check. 46psi on the money, no shake all the way to 78.
Concentrated from 50-65, driving about a mile in 5mph increments from 50mph on up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My TSB correction was completed a couple of days ago. It is 100% perfect. I am so happy the shake is gone. It's like a new truck overnight. I have spent around $500 on balancing and Alinements over the past two years. Toyota should have identified and released this TSB well before they did. Still happy my FJ is back to good. About to pass 30k so I plan many more miles of shake free travels.
How has your TSB held up? I have heard mixed results.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Find a shop with a Hunter road force balancer. Also, ensure the lugs are torqued properly, that has cause me issues before. I loosen lugs and retorque every time now. I have no issues with E range KO2s.....smoooooooth. That's an '08 TTSE with 99.2k miles, factory TRD wheels, 265/75-16 KO2s. Just went on a burger run to Freddy's just to check. 46psi on the money, no shake all the way to 78.
Concentrated from 50-65, driving about a mile in 5mph increments from 50mph on up.
I'm gonna try upping the psi on my k02s from 40 to 45-50 and see if that helps today.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My wife's 2016 Trail Edition 4Runner had a vibrating that you could feel in the floor and steering wheel when driving above 30 mph. We took it to the dealership last week and they requested we do a 4 wheel balance and alignment for $130. We did and it was still vibrating so they told us to bring it back that Thursday, a Toyota Rep would be there and they wanted him to see it. We brought it back, the Toyota Rep looked at it, and the dealership replaced a bearing on the driver side of the front differential (covered under warranty). It's smooth driving now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Took my new to me 2010 4x4 non lifted FJ into Auto-Tire today. The PO had put Maxis highway tires on it. As it turns out Auto-Tire could not get the almost new Maxis tires to balance. I bit the bullet and bought Yokohama Geolander All Terrains. They forced balanced those on the first try. I can't believe how nice it rides. Running them at 40 psi for now. Hopefully they'll stay this smooth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread but I am experiencing the exact same thing except in 4 high only at around 55-60 mph (Tires have been rotated and balanced before winter). Not only can I feel it in the steering wheel but I can also feel it through the gas pedal. Once I put it back in 2 high its gone. No vibrations in 4 low. I replaced both cv axles with aftermarket ones because of torn boots. I plan on putting the OEM ones back in, but I was gonna do that in spring next year. Anyone ever experience this? If so, what caused it and how did you fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread but....
No sir, Thank you... for going the mile to actually search the forum and read the threads before posting.

I have a 2010 TTSE that I purchased new. I get the shimmy and when I first notice it, I rotate my wheels and check the air pressure. That cures it for me, or at least it appears to have to date. We need to rotate our tires and check the air pressure on a regular basis. Not only does it ensure that our tires wear evenly, thus giving us maximum life from our rubber investment, but also improves our MPG.

I read somewhere some statistic about how we as a whole would save million gallons of fuel a year if everyone checked/adjusted our tire pressure at every gas fill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@FatJohnson I get them aligned and rotated about twice a year. Did it right before winter started. I called a service rep from Bighorn Toyota and he said that it sounds like I got some Ice build up on the wheels which could be true since it was snowing when this happened and it just threw off the balancing. I'll take it out for another drive when I get home.

221 - 240 of 248 Posts