·
Registered
364 Posts
Well my 2010 TT has it and can't wait to see what the fix is:clap:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great to see that there are a number of people this might benefit.

All stars aligning, I expect to get the FJ back Monday night. Will report soon after.

Just a quick note: I've got a 2012 Camry as my rental vehicle, and as fate would have it, we got a 8 inch snowstorm last night. It did fairly well on icy roads, and the gas mileage is really blowing my mind - can't wait to get my cruiser back though.

Its got 15,000 miles and I can tell its got a bad CV joint in the front right. Me owning an FJ cruiser is the product of a 2013 Tacoma that had a bad driveline vibe from mile 1 - finally got Toyota to buy it back after 4500 miles and going into arbitration.

The FJ's been the first reliable Toyota I've owned (despite the shimmy), and I just hope that all of this work doesn't threaten its track record.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hope this actually fixes the problem. What's funny is, I was going tomorrow to schedule having King Coilovers installed but now will be waiting to see how this fix turns out.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I have an '11. I didnt have the shake. rotated tires still no shake. rotated 3rd time and got the shake at 60. Rotated the last time and shake went away....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have an '11. I didnt have the shake. rotated tires still no shake. rotated 3rd time and got the shake at 60. Rotated the last time and shake went away....
Sounds like wheel balancing.

I too thought this was the issue, except that I've had the shake since the first few miles. It would fade, and come back, and fade, and come back.

I'm thrilled to see the number of guys this might work out for. :cheers:

It would be nice if Toyota was being a bit more transparent about this TSB, although I get that with the scope of work being performed, they don't WANT to have people thinking its the issue before exhausting all of the other easier options first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
^ Spoke with Toyota today - they are now almost 30 hours of labor on the books and still not done with the job.

I won't be getting the vehicle back tonight, but am hoping I will get it back tomorrow.

Service manager states the job is billed at 4.5 hours of labor and should take "at least" ten. I am increasingly skeptical as to why they are over 30 hours on my vehicle.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
^ Spoke with Toyota today - they are now almost 30 hours of labor on the books and still not done with the job.

I won't be getting the vehicle back tonight, but am hoping I will get it back tomorrow.

Service manager states the job is billed at 4.5 hours of labor and should take "at least" ten. I am increasingly skeptical as to why they are over 30 hours on my vehicle.
That's exactly why I want to see the TSB procedure from Toyota first. The Lexus version of the TSB I posted clearly shows removal from under the truck, so I'm concerned why they told you the engine had to come out. :/

·
Registered
429 Posts

LOL... Me thinks, a mechanic is swapping your (good) engine out for the mechanics (blown) engine... You'll never know... LOL

Seriously, my East Coast Dealor mechanic, I spoke with this last Friday, doesn't think adding that .25¢ damper part, is that big of deal to install...
When the back ordered part comes in and they begin install, I'll post again...

:blueblob:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just can't see the local stealership mechanic pulling the FJ engine out and reinstalling it in 4.5 hrs. Something fishy going on here....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you have looked at the steering rack location, I believe you can get the steering rack out without removing the engine. Worst case scenario remove the radiator to get more wiggle room.

I am waiting to see what the results will be from the first one who gets this TSB done....

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested in the actual TSB, I don't have this yet, but want it on hand in case.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This whole thing is unbelievably big news! I'm glad the moderators made a sticky on it. I don't know if there's any other issue that has raised so much angst among FJ'ers.

I recall Pale Rider saying some time ago when the Lexus TSB came out that when dealerships have to deal with a lot of cases of some kind of major complicated job, they assign the same folks to each one and after doing one or two they get the technique down and it goes faster. In this case it sounds the like the cure is almost as bad as the ailment!:mecry:

21 - 40 of 247 Posts