Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New looking to buy owner here, found an 07 FJ for 12,500, 120k miles, and very good service records in Connecticut.
Only thing is, there's a good amount of rust UNDER the hood in the engine bay and a check battery light on. I attached some pictures. The rust is on the side of the accident reported , which the dealer didn't tell me about until I read the Carfax.
The accident was in 07, and had consistent dealership service past that for 5 year before being sold. 1 owner.
Any thing I should avoid or be careful about in this case? Should I scrap this deal and move on?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Obviously a rust-belt vehicle. The photos of interest would be close-ups of the undercarriage and especially known rust-susceptible areas on the frame.

But, given the photos of the rust in the engine bay, this is not a vehicle you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The engine bay pictures of the hose clamps and fastners indicate to me that this vehicle spent a lot of time by the Long Island sound or ended submerged at one time.I would give it a pass.There is an Iceberg colored FJ for sale @ Huntington Toyota Long Island ,N.Y. .It's been sitting there at least a month.G.L. in your search.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The price for the year/miles is actually pretty decent, but the hassles brought on by the rust depend on what you plan on doing with it.

If you try to modify the truck, any bolts that go into the frame -- sway bar brackets, skidplate mounting bolts etc -- have a much higher chance of breaking their captured nuts when you try to take them off. Which is a nightmare to deal with, either for you or for whoever you're paying to modify the truck.

If you just want to own this truck to drive in bad weather and do some light offroading without modifying it extensively, then you're fine. It won't last forever, but you already know that, and at this price it's disposable anyway.

If you're looking to modify it, offroad it extensively, keep it forever / give it to your kids etc, then as everyone else here said, run away. Buy a clean truck from the midwest instead.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
NO, leave that one be.

Looks like a LOT of rust...the undercarriage looks to be painted over even.

And....maybe....is that a fender crack in that one image?!?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
29 Posts
I have same year and color and have same rust issue on iner fenders.To me look like car come from North East states and owner don't wash engine compartment and salt make surface rust and that's nothing. Past summer fixed mine and look good know.
Most important it's the "FRAME " and have few spots to look.
1)Near by Engine mounts.
2)Underneath by right foot passenger side where heat -ac.drop hose.
3)Rear left bumper last crossing member.
4)All frame need to be inspected and make sure nothing bad tor pass annual inspection.
When I searching for my FJ find many FJ with frame structure holes.
So afterwards the inner fenders rust is not hard to fix.Have some rust on frame but Silver Bullet ,Black Shell and Fluid Film solved my rust issues and don't worry for next annual Inspections.
Beach driving vehicle tend to rust by well wheels if not wash after driving on beach .This is my research base on vehicle drive on beach .
My profile photo was taken to Fire Island
Return to your questions most important is the :Frame,Engine,Transmission,Front differential and make sure rear differential don't have problems (2007 most have and cost over 1500 dollars to fix.)Some 07 FJ have A/C leak and don't hold freon.
Got a Carfax and ck mileage.
Good luck finding the right vehicle and be happy you did a good inspection before you purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts