Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I’ve been on here since 2009 when I bought my FJ new and I think the FJ is amazing! It’s gone above and beyond over the past 10 years for me. It’s been pretty much like an extension of my family, just like this forum.

So, just a disclaimer, I think the FJ is awesome and in no way want to critique it.

With that being said, my meticulously kept 2010 FJ was just totaled due to a fellow neighbor driving drunk recklessly in my neighborhood and hitting my unseemly parked rig.

I just settled with my insurance after battling over a month over repairs. The main area of contention was that the frame needed to be replaced. The rear LCA mount was ‘tweaked’ from the Driver Side Rear tire being hit and the stock LCA being bent at excessive speeds.

Also, my Icon Suspension added 5K+ to the estimate, putting the estimate at the limit to total it (regardless of my Toyota OEM policy).

I saw previous posts about this rear LCA mount and aftermarket fixes to beef it up. It’s just a shame that my rig got totaled due to something I feel like could have easily been cut off and re-welded on (Rear LCA mount). Insurance companies are always going to be squeamish about ‘Frame damage’ and who knows what the CarFax would have showed after repair.

Luckily the FJ still has great resale value and all of my submitted mods added value to my settlement.

Obviously the FJ suspension wasn’t designed specifically for high speed rear end impacts in mind, I’m just bummed some reckless D bag messed up my baby. Such is life though.......

Attachments

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Buy it back and fix her, replace the rear axle, have a great frame shop straighten her out and make the body repairs if needed. Rear links are pretty reasonable too.
I know that sounds over simplified but it looks easily done.

edit: that pic with car on its side is epic

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about that. Buy it back and fix her, replace the rear axle, have a great frame shop straighten her out and make the body repairs if needed. Rear links are pretty reasonable too.
I know that sounds over simplified but it looks easily done.
Hey thanks for the advice Thorn661, I looked into that and the path of least resistance seemed to be leaning toward getting a higher payout.

The whole deal with a ‘salvage title’ and the fact that FJ’s actually have a pretty high salvage value pretty much equate to a lower payout. CarFax, at least to me, seems to not be on the side of the consumer, so resale value is severely affected.

Reluctantly, the best option seems to be finding a clean FJ without accident. It sucks that my rig was meticulously kept and mechanically maintained (over 2K recent maintenance), literally having zero rust out here on the West Coast. Really wish I could buy another one new, but the next best option is to find another clean one from a fellow meticulous member.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That really stinks, and I agree with @Thorn661 - buy it back and repair! Also that pic with the drunk on his side is amazing... 😮
The FJ definitely won being that the other vehicle was probably traveling 60+mph while the FJ was parked. Lesson- If you’re going to hit a parked car drunk, don’t hit a FJ!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Some people just need shootin.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. To keep my '07 from being totaled, I had to leave off the rear bumper, tail lights, hitch, and my entire trailer (which was attached when the F250 got airborne and came down on my fender/hood). I got it all fixed without giving her up - just took a while. Some things I didn't bother, like the rear bumper wings, because I regularly bump them on trees.

I'm glad yours was less damage and you get to roll on...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It got hit pretty much directly on the LR wheel. The fender and bumper end cap got damaged also. No exterior body damage. It actually didn’t look that bad and I was thinking just a new axle and bumper would do it.

In my opinion the estimate (Toyota dealer) was largely exaggerated and meant to total my vehicle. It called for a new frame, entire new rear end (differential, axles, wheel hubs, all suspension components), rear bumper, wheel well body work, new fuel tank, front suspension, and new tires among other things. Anything remotely involved was to be replaced with a new OEM part.

I battled for over a month with the shop and insurance to not total it. Eventually the insurance gave me an offer that I figured I could just buy another FJ and start the mods again.

It would have been a lot of trust to put into the body shop that they would do that big of a job the right way. In the end, it will be less stress to start new again.

Attachments

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
Man that makes me want to buy the thing, Dana 60 out back, Reszfab links, fresh 4.88 ECGS locked up front, a quick frame check and tweak and away we go.
Really hoping a fellow FJ lover grabs this, it’s a dream platform with the meticulous upkeep.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to handle a situation like this (when the damaged car would be "totaled" by the insurance adjuster), without that going onto its permanent record.
For instance, if one were to decline the payout from the insurance co, and pay to repair it oneself, then the title would remain clear. Or, discuss it with the adjuster to find a solution.

From the damage shown, and the responses received by others who have done extensive modifications to their vehicles, it sounds repairable, and then a loved and cherished possession could remain so for much, much longer.

On the other hand, we all may be swinging after the bell. OP has already stated they needed the max payout, and have already reconciled with themselves the loss of this vehicle, just was bummed about it and shared but was not looking for advice/suggestions for how to do it differently, if it is already done (and no way to go back with different ideas now).

·
A-Team Moderator
9,046 Posts
From the pictures shown, I do not see the damage that the insurance company lists. That doesn't mean it's not there and why I asked to see the drivers side after reading 60+ MPH impact.

I am sorry for your loss and understand your frustration after years of care.

Happy Hunting for a new one!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Easily totaled with damage like that. The list supplied looks valid. You can’t always see components without throwing an edge on them, I’d imagine almost everything is bent at the speed mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
It’s probably a total, and insurance companies are totaling these more and more it seems, a good friend of mine with a 2014 Magma was totaled a few months back from a rear ending. What I’m saying is it’s morphed from a great DD to what is now piece of clay to be molded into a gorgeous rebirthed phoenix of an FJ.

I’m not knocking the OP, the need for a dependable driver is paramount but I can salivate over the salvage of one that was so well cared for.
Best of luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies! I thought long and hard about it. The only way the insurance was going to let me buy it back was with a ‘Salvage Title.’ The shop wouldn’t budge on adjusting the repairs. Also, I’m pretty meticulous and it seemed like a nightmare to have to trust that the shop was going to make it right.

The total estimate was 30K and the insurance wouldn’t fix it without an entire new frame. Also, they wouldn’t put back my Icon suspension without charging me 5K extra for it.

Weighing my options, the insurance gave me a settlement that I figured I could start new with a stock FJ TT and build it up from there. It was a battle, but I saved all my receipts from my mods over the past 10 years and it ended up helping out a lot. In the end, they gave me “an offer I couldn’t refuse.”

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
Really great that you received an offer that gives you piece of mind. Btw if I missed it where are you located?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The FJ definitely won being that the other vehicle was probably traveling 60+mph while the FJ was parked. Lesson- If you’re going to hit a parked car drunk, don’t hit a FJ!!!
Wow - your picture looks like mine in a lot of ways...wonder why FJ's seem to make other vehicles flip? Mine was because the trailer acted like a ramp - otherwise the F250 would never have grabbed air...

Here's pic from mine....
FJkrash.png

1 - 20 of 23 Posts