Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys as most of you know I've put 100s of system together for members with a resume of about 3000 PMs so far so i though i would make a sticky for a few options for a basic auto system , this isn't meant to replace PMs to me I'm glad to help everyone but this will give a basic guidelines for a aftermarket system...a lot depends on everyone's budget and systems can be done for a few hundred dollars to the sky's the limit...I'm a keep it simply guy using good gear and mapping out any system correctly...matching gear up is important also like cheap amps with high-end component or vise versa etc a big no no ...so sticking with quality gear is important my go to brands are Alpine , JL Audio ,Pioneer, AD Design ,Hertz some Rockford and Kicker etc

HEAD-UNITS people can do a single din or double din either works depending on budget features you want etc its all personal preference the key things you DO want to look for in a headunit for SQ is 24-Bit DAC ,9 Band Parametric EQ and 3 Pre-Outs (4V) front/rear/sub
which gives you the option of adding to the system at a later date ...my favorite brand head-units are Alpine and Pioneer the higher end Kenwoods are great and Sony is making pretty good head units.

SPEAKERS their are several options in this area i will try to cover them all , front dash (tweeters) front door (6x9s) or (6-1/2 or 6-3/4) rear door (5-1/4) and rear pillars (3-1/2) ... JL Audio is my go to brand on speakers on speaker setup, you can go a full range system (6x9s in the doors and tweeters in the dash) rear speakers optional but not necessary, you can do this setup with or with out a amp i DO recommend a small amp at least though like the 4 Channel Alpine Power Pack , This setup with a good head-unit is the least expensive option but still gives you great sound ...next is a two way component speaker setup which would be 6-3/4 midbass drivers in the door and tweeters in the dash with a sub in back (many sub options can be had) the sub is personal preference from 2-12" subs to a shallow mount 10" like a JL TW3... let me clarify that you don't need huge subs one quality 10" sub will give you plenty of bass and of course JL Audio is my go to brand for subs , Alpine makes a good sub and the higher end kickers aren't bad ...this component system would require a 3 channel amp , the JL XDv2 500/3 is the perfect amp ..the 2 way component speaker setup with a sub and amp is my go to system and highly recommend

AMPS JL Audio ,Alpine ,higher end Rockford and Kicker all great amps several other brands also , with a full range system (4 speaker setup) a 4 channel amp will fit most apps... 5 channel amp with a (4 speaker setup with a sub) and with a 2 channels component system with a sub a 3 channel amp applies many variations from their depending on speaker setup

SYSTEM NECESSITIES quality RCAs & Speaker Wire, Sound Deadening (a real must) Bass Control Knobs like the JL Audio RBC-1 , 4 AWG Amp Kit , dash kit , speaker adapters , steering wheel control interface (Metra Axxess ASWC-1) SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit etc

1. Set your needs and system goals
2. Set a budget (keep in mind the add on RCAs , sound deadening etc
3. Self install yourself or Car Audio Shop
4. buying online (i recommend Crutchfield) full warranty no tax etc or buying at a Car Audio Shop etc

this covers the bases i will add to this later or feel free to chime in, new threads and PMs are always welcome

The Audio Dude

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Nice work man! I think this will be a popular thread indeed. Can I add one thing, and it's just my humble opinion..most will likely know this already anyways but your system will only sound as good as the speakers that are playing the sound. If you have a limited budget, then your money is best spent on a good set of speakers before the rest of the components in the chain. Also, if you haven't yet, I highly suggest damping as much of your interior as possible. This alone will make a huge upgrade to the sound of the factory system and will make every dollar your spend if you aftermarket system that much more worthwhile. I guess that was two points.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
$500 Base Stereo Upgrade

This upgrade recipe was put together in October 2015 with help from ZOSO and others, and involves replacing the awful base FJC stereo. Door speakers are replaced with 6x9s, and dash speakers are replaced with silk-dome tweeters. No rear speakers are involved - the base stereo doesn't come with them, and they really aren't needed for a good soundstage up front.

At that time, the total for all of these pieces was $503.97 from the jungle. Almost all of these parts are still available to the best of my knowledge, but prices may have changed somewhat though I doubt they have gone up much. Also please note that one of my goals was to install a single DIN stereo and a 2-meter ham unit in the double-DIN spot the factory stereo was occupying. Those wishing to keep a double-DIN stereo can just substitute in a different head unit.

Hey, at the very least you get the part numbers for adapters and such :)

*Alpine CDE-153EBT Single Din CD Car Stereo $139.95 (Note: this unit might not be available now. Sub the single or double DIN head unit of your choice.)
*Alpine KTP-445A - 4-Channel 45W RMS X 4 at 4-Ohms Amplifier $90.95
*JL Audio C2-690tx 6x9-Inch 3 Way Speakers $132.49
*JL AUDIO C2-075ct 0.75" TWEETERS $72.95
*Metra 95-8202 Toyota DDIN Multi Dash Kit $7.99
*2 of Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles $5.91
*Metra 82-8146 Front Speaker Adapter for Select Toyota Vehicles 6X9-Inch, (Black) $14.88
*Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker $3.75
*Noico 80 Mil X 18 Sq Ft Self-adhesive Foil & Butyl Mat Audio Deadening $35.10 (sound deadening for doors)

My preference is for clean, clear sound with non-boomy bass, and that is what I have. I have had this setup for over a year now, and once I found the right EQ settings I have been entirely satisfied with the sound quality.

A FEW THOUGHTS ON INSTALL:
* If you want to install CB or Ham units in the dash along with the stereo, look at the Cobra 18 WX ST II for CB and the Kenwood TM-281A for 2-meter ham. Both of these units have speakers on the faceplate, which is great for in-dash installation. The Kenwood requires shimming as it is smaller than DIN size; I used composite construction shims from the hardware store.
* for the dash tweeters, I used a piece of perforated metal strapping strung between the mounting points for the factory speakers, and screwed the tweeters to that.
* I didn't string new speaker wire (which is why the Metra speaker connectors are listed above). Sue me. :)
* You'll want to pull the dust protective plastic off of the doors to install the sound deadening to the outside sheet metal (this step is worth it to cut down on unwanted resonance). Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and it will pull off easily. Also use the hair dryer when sticking it back down afterwards.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nice job on this! I'll be referencing this post soon! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts