Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Have you really had all this stuff yanked from your rig(s)? For real?
Me, no, not personally. I do know people who've lost some big utility trailers.
But consider how much money is tied up in one convenient to tow, yet titleless, package.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Me, no, not personally. I do know people who've lost some big utility trailers.
But consider how much money is tied up in one convenient to tow, yet titleless, package.
oh - losing any of that stuff would ruin my day for sure lol. I'm on it. Thanks!

Mean Time Moderator
Just had to look up the trailer. Very nice!
Most tips already given by the guys so looks like you鈥檙e sorted.
Trans cooler is an easy install info here

My trailer is smaller and probably weighs in at about 2500-3000lbs. Don鈥檛 notice it behind rhe FJ until you get up in the mountains then it really notices and my fuel economy dropped from about 17 to 11mpg (UK).

My FJ has the Raptor tune, check out the thread as Baz has given some good info about performance whilst towning

Premium Member
From the FJ Manual: Page 195
Toyota revised the tow capacity to 4,700lbs and dealerships were placing stickers on the inside of door with the revised numbers when a FJ came in for service. The 5,000 lbs capacity was for true base models (zero options) only which are as rare as hens teeth. The 300 lbs difference was to account for all the extras most FJ's were sold with.

Registered
The main issue with the FJ and towing is wheelbase. There are vehicles with way less HP that are rated to tow more, there are other trucks with the same transmission that can tow more, there are one ton Toyotas with the 8" axle, etc.

Registered
Just had to look up the trailer. Very nice!
Most tips already given by the guys so looks like you鈥檙e sorted.
Trans cooler is an easy install info here

My trailer is smaller and probably weighs in at about 2500-3000lbs. Don鈥檛 notice it behind rhe FJ until you get up in the mountains then it really notices and my fuel economy dropped from about 17 to 11mpg (UK).

My FJ has the Raptor tune, check out the thread as Baz has given some good info about performance whilst towning
hi, checked that thread, didnt see the info -

can you tell us more about the "Raptor" tune?

Mean Time Moderator

Registered
Hey, Welcome to the party! Beautiful Airstream. I've always liked those. ;) Is that the 16 ?

You stated; 2020 Basecamp (GVWR 3500) That's GROSS Vehicle Weight Rating, that's the max weight loaded for that trailer. From the 16's specs; Base Weight: 2,585 lbs. Net Carrying Capacity: 915 lbs = 3500#

I believe that the FJ's Tow Rating was lowered in later years to 4850 or 4750 ?

I did the Continental Divide, East to West, from South Dakota to WA hauling 3500# w/ a failed brake controller. What I learned, I learned the very hard way described in those thread links provided by UNCHARTED.

#1 Camping World sucks! (insert middle finger emoji here) Your experience may vary :ROFLMAO:
#2 Don't trust any shops work, double check everything yourself. Every hose, every wire connection, every bolt, etc.
#3 Lock your hitch coupler down with a LOCK even when it's parked w/out the FJ attached. Add a yellow ball lock for extra security too.
#4 Lock your 2" receiver to the tow bar. Put some keyed alike padlocks on the chains too.
#5 get a nut driver attachment and the proper socket size for a cordless drill. It makes it SO much easier to raise and lower the 4 corner stabilizer legs.
#6 Unless you're dry camping/boondocking, don't haul water in the tank. Keep your weight down as much as possible. The FJ can handle it, but it's the panic stop you have to worry about. Look up the $400 Big Brake kit thread.

"I'm new to the towing thing and want to make sure I'm not just cruisin for a brusin." We don't want you or anyone else for that matter injured or worse. ;) I'm no expert, these are just my experiences.

HAVE FUN!

My pic shows that the wire was cut almost through before inserting it into the butt connector. I was surprised it made any kind of electrical connection at all. No weatherproofing shrink wrap was used. CW techs, Oh yeah, we used shrink wrap on every connection. Lying A$$ DOGS. The wires were not secured, on the Divide, they hit the Catalytic converter and melted. The fuses popped and I lost the brake controller. I did some very creative braking and downshifting, intermixed with numerous cuss words.

View attachment 1130999
Well, I "WAS" considering a trailer for the FJ but... :unsure:
Nah your points are valid considerations.

I've been wanting to go for a 18-19 ft Airstream for quite a while now. It's definitely a matter of timing, and measuring ones needs though. Still, love those damn things & hoping for it someday despite the FJ not being ideal for this.

Otherwise, holy hell...I haven't been around here in a while but was literally one the 1st people on this Forum back in 2006. Definitely one of the first in Philly to be driving an 07. Still got her, only 70k miles as of last week!

Mr FJ is an emotional attachment for my wife as well as me. For better or for worse!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts