Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just a quick question, just found out yesterday the wife and I are having triplets. Does anyone know if you can fit 3 car seats in the back? or is it time to start shopping for a new vehicle. I think it will be a pain to have 3 seats but just want to know if it can be done.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
hey just a quick question, just found out yesterday the wife and I are having triplets. Does anyone know if you can fit 3 car seats in the back? or is it time to start shopping for a new vehicle. I think it will be a pain to have 3 seats but just want to know if it can be done.
triplets?? OMG. Congratulations, I think. :D As far as I remember, it doesn't work with 3 (middle spot is too small when other infant seats are next to it), but I am not sure of this. I have a pretty big car seat as my little guy is 3.5 y.o., so my guess is it will be very tight. Can you borrow some infant car seats to figure it out before you sell? I generally always answer the car seat Qs on here, but I do believe you are the first with triplets. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I don't have any children, but my sister has 5 kids, so I have had a kid or four in the FJ a few times. For a rear facing infant carrier, the center seems to work best since you have a little extra room between the front seats. I'm not sure three would fit, but I wasn't paying attention that closely. I have had a booster seat in, and I could see three of those working with no problem. But three full car seats? I'm unsure.

Congrats anyway. Hope you can keep the FJ!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
JEEBUS! Congrats x 3!!! :)

We have our infant car seat in the middle and it fits fine.........I don't know about 3.......like the other suggestion, maybe you can test out three to see if they fit!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
unless you can drive with the seat adjusted pretty far forward, it would be rather difficult to put rear facing car seats behind either seat. The center no problem!

congratulations!

T

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
HECK NO! :mecry: I tried every which way to get a rear facing car seat behind the pasenger seat, and like someone else said, unless you can have the seat pushed all the way forward, there's no way. The center is the only place I could get it to work.

Better look into a mini-van or a full-size SUV. :(

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i think only the space directly behind the front seats have latches for car seats...mine is behind the passenger side. for the middle, you will have to use the lap belt to hold it down...unless there are hidden latches for the middle i don't know about. for practicality, i would consider another vehicle for 3 infant seats. it is already hard enough to wriggle one car seat into the back.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I forgot: how tall are you (and your wife)? To most this may sound trivial, but it makes a difference for getting kids in and out of the FJ....

While I REALLY hate to say this.... I think you need a mini-van. And I HATE mini-vans. But triplets...... If you can also keep the FJ for yourself, and the mini-van for the wife, hey, GREAT!

signed,
a Mom :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i think only the space directly behind the front seats have latches for car seats...mine is behind the passenger side. for the middle, you will have to use the lap belt to hold it down...unless there are hidden latches for the middle i don't know about. for practicality, i would consider another vehicle for 3 infant seats. it is already hard enough to wriggle one car seat into the back.
This is TRUE. Thank you, FloJo. How does one decide which 2 babies get LATCH, and which baby gets the belt? I was just hoping he could keep his FJ... the reality is, it's not really the vehicle for triplets. I traded in my 4x4 2 door Tacoma for the FJ because after 2 years of trying to make it work for ONE kid, it just didn't. Again, please test yourself with 3 infant car seats before making any decision, REGARDLESS of what people tell you here. Those babies are WAY more important than anything else. :) And post pictures when they arrive, please! :D Oh, and arrange for HELP!! I was completely overwhelmed by my son who had "severe colic".... I cannot imagine THREE babies. Does your wife have a 007 3rd nipple? :cowsmile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies......I really don't think i can bring myself to buy a mini-van! I will try to test out putting in three seats but I am thinking it isn't going to work. I can't drive sitting so close to the steering wheel its rubbing my chin. Looks like something bigger is going to have to happen.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats..couldn't image having 3 at once. The Sienna isn't all that bad. You can do some mods and they even have a forum :) Just don't try a roof rack car seat mod.
Also another thought, there is a 3rd row seat available which is rated for car seats, I don't know if a rear facing would work but I know you can google and find out

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
congrats, i have had 1 car seat and 2 boosters seats in the back at same time

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
First off, congrats.
Second....a different vehicle?!?!? j/k

Seriously though, I'm not sure if this family has already been mentioned (I haven't read the entire thread yet), but you may want to ask athenaceleste (maybe PM them if they don't notice this thread). I think hearing from their experience may be helpful.

steven

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Congrats! I have 2 car seats in mine. 3 should fit fine. Remember to add tethers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts