Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow, that is very cool. I just sent that picture to my buddy so he could see it. He loves the FJ, and his two young boys go nuts over trains.

Sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just a great time. Got to meet a couple of dogds Then there was the deer in camp. Went up to Cumbres Pass for a thunderstorm, pulled out the sleepimgbag and just enjoyed the thunder.

If you ever get up to Chama NM try Rio Chama RV park

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Montana... ya a great time I had. Critters everywhere. A thunderstorm at Cumbres Pass, too cool. I think I will head back to work on the railroad. Just a great place Chama was!

Sunday is looking good. I hope to get my father out.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Great shot! Get closer! Not too close, remember the FJ has a weak frame.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Ya a great time I had, Woke up to the sound of trains. I will be going back to work on the locomotives. Too cool
work on? like take pictures or turn wrenches?

·
Premium Member
17,152 Posts
Nice pic! Sounds like your having fun in northern NM. Chris

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Great pic ! Real men love "old iron". Girly men don't notice "old iron".

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little follow up... The town of Chama is at almost 7900 feet. The high point on the train ride is 10,022 or 10,035 feet at Cumbres Pass. A couple of scenes from one of the Indiana Jones movies were filmed along the tracks. The tracks cross state lines 11 times along the route. Lunch is served during a 1 hour stop. Turkey, meatloaf, hot dogs etc. All you can eat. They offer a full moon train, that sounds wild. Going thru the mountains at night in a steam train. Many elk and pronghorn watching us watch them. You can start at either end, Chama NM, or Antonito CO. And bus back, or bus out in the morning and ride the train home.

Then there is a crew of over 100 volunteers working at a time during the summer. Repairing the cars and track, they are running new telegraph lines now. Well worth the $ and time to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts