Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

only after 1.5y of being a proud FJ owner I noticed that the Toyota dealer sold me the pre-owned FJ with smaller 265/65/R17 tires, while the spare tire is a 265/70/R17 :flame:.

I now did some research in the forum and found that this tire size is not supposed to be on that car, and also that there are possibly some issues that could result from this, like the speedometer being off, mileage of the car being higher and a faster wear of tires. Since all 4 tires were too small, I do not think that there is an issue with engine or break wear, but I think I am lucky I never used the spare tire. According to the Miata Tire Size Calculator my Speedometer reading is 3.3% too fast, with a diameter of the tires of 30.6 in vs the usual 31.6 in.

Today I contacted my Toyota dealer and asked them if they would replace those tires for the correct size without charge, but the sales person refused to do that and offered that I can buy three new tires and they would give me the fourth free. I feel that this may not be right, and was hoping to get some feedback here on if I was actually fine with the smaller tires, or if I should be more persistent.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------
07’ Vodoo Blue, Roof Rack, Towing Package, 4WD, Upgrade Package 2, P265/65R17 Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Buy the size you want. The issues are null and void. GMC sold me my truck brand new witj 17" rims on the ground and a 16" spare under the bed.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
In the big scheme of things, 3.3% is nothing o worry about IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree. It's a small difference and I wouldn't be concerned with the size difference. A lot of us go up to 285's and bigger and don't worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts