Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kansas Law Dog said:
Kathie - It great to have another refiner on the Forum. Two compounds define octane: 1) iso-octane (actually 2,2,4, trimethylpentane, which is 100 octane by definition), and normal heptane (straight chain C7), which is 0 octane by definition. The standards you speak of are mixtures of those two compounds, or another pure compound of known octane value approved by ASTM (American Society of Testing Materials). Just for the record, I wasn't me that said "knocking is caused from watered down gasoline".

KLD- sorry, I know you didn't say it, I was just thanking you for helping explain the hard parts, as I am blonde ;)

Kathie

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
fj-mastiff said:
I read the Owner's Manual. It said to use premium grade gas. That's what I will use in my new FJ Cruiser.

Thanks for listening. :D
Me too. I'm fairly sure the the engineers who wrote the manual are not in some sort of diabolical co conspiracy with the fuel companies to get the huddled masses to buy more gas.

.....or are they :confused:

Either way, I'll follow the manual like a sheep following the shepherd. More often than not, the shepherd has the sheep's interest in mind.

.....or do they? :confused:

Something else, if Akio Nishimura told me to run milk in my engine, I would pay the $3.39 a gallon and fill her up with milk. Akio's the man. As it is, he says use 91 octane, so I do. :)

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
FJ Dragon said:
Something else, if Akio Nishimura told me to run milk in my engine, I would pay the $3.39 a gallon and fill her up with milk. Akio's the man.
Or is he? :confused:

That's just what "they" would have you believe.

·
Registered
342 Posts
CACressida said:
Nissan.. PFFT. Even if you used 91, it still would've gone bad. Its a Nissan.

Your comparing Apples to turds.
Toyota = Apples
Nissan = Turds
I say again... suit yourself. It's YOUR car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Voodoogirl said:
I don't know how true it is, but a service mgr I talked with told me, so here goes...
Yes, you have knock sensors that change your timing to help control the possible pinging when using a lower octane. Sounds great! Only problem is, that is very hard on the sensors and I hear they're very pricey to replace...
A knock sensor is piezoelectric sensor which produces a voltage based on harmonic vibrations of a certain frequency that the computer reads to change timing and fuel mapping during harmonic events.
I'm not buying into the generalized thinking of the "shirt and tie" behind the service counter that it's "hard" on them to do what they were designed to do.
Not like riding your clutch or brakes or other preventable mechanical no-no's
It would be akin to saying it's hard on your doors to open and close them.

This is not to say I recommend or dis-unrecommend (new word) using regular.
Heck, it's ok with me if y'all use H20 or Jagermeister. :D :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
He's right Knock Sensors should not go out. And even if they do, I could not imagine them being expensive at all. I have been a tech for ten years For ford, whatever...I think I have changed knock sensors maybe ...this is a guess...5 times in my career..

·
Registered
96 Posts
ailing knock sensor... is just a gateway to other things going sour :0\ how many of us will immedietely bring er in when the 'service soon' light comes on... Granted, i doubt anyone will ever torch their fj's pistons... but. Hate to say i told you so when someone shows me

But seriously :p i don't see this happening to anyone here anytime soon...

but if you remain way concerned: i came across these and thought the concept looked good on paper:
http://www.prepsparkplugs.com <-- but i doubt these will pass california smog because they eject combustion chamber contents right into the atmosphere ;)

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
JLam said:
Let's say regular costs $3.37/ gallon. $3.37/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = $5257/year for gas.

Say premium costs $3.57/gallon. $3.57/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = 5569/year for gas.

So if you use regular instead of premium, you save a whopping $312 per year, or $6 per week. Anyone who can afford to pay $25-30K on a car can afford an extra 6 bucks per week. If you can't, then you shouldn't be driving a $25-30K car, IMO.

I know people go back and forth on the octane debate, but I figure that Toyota's engineers are a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and they put a lot of thought into figuring out what gas to reccommend.

I'm willing to drop the extra 6 bucks per week to run the good stuff.
JLam, that is an excellent point and backs up what several mechanics have told me, over the years, when asked about Premium vs. Regular Gasoline. Their response was always something to the effect of: "Well son, a car will run on any grade. However, you can pay a little more now, or a lot more later."

·
Registered
342 Posts
haulin79 said:
This is for the people that think the manual is written by infallible engineers:

Toyota FC Cruiser Manual Correction: PP06-VG6027
"Regular Unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 is acceptable"

See it here:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1565&d=1148315471
Interesting.... may I inquire as to how you got a hold of this document? If this is an official statement from Toyota, all FJ owners should get this in the mail.... along with a $500 certificate for any FJ accessories for making that mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
JLam said:
Let's say regular costs $3.37/ gallon. $3.37/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = $5257/year for gas.

Say premium costs $3.57/gallon. $3.57/gallon x 2 fillups per week x 52 weeks per year = 5569/year for gas.

So if you use regular instead of premium, you save a whopping $312 per year, or $6 per week. Anyone who can afford to pay $25-30K on a car can afford an extra 6 bucks per week. If you can't, then you shouldn't be driving a $25-30K car, IMO.

I know people go back and forth on the octane debate, but I figure that Toyota's engineers are a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and they put a lot of thought into figuring out what gas to reccommend.

I'm willing to drop the extra 6 bucks per week to run the good stuff.
I'm glad someone else did the math this time. Pretty sure I've done it once or twice on this forum.

And on another note, most places around here have 93 premium, so it's an even better deal.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It aint got no gas in it!!! Ummmmm Hummmmmm

Its yer Fj you can run lemonade in it if u want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im paying 312.00 extra a year becuse I want max power and performance all the time. I might pull out in front of something and need to get outa the way.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts