Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having twins and I don't want to get rid of the FJ...we need suggestions on two rearfacing car seats that we can get in and out of the back...any suggestions on models etc? Ones that other people have used...these are our first two so we car totally clueless about kiddos :)

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
Welcome back to the forum....haven't seen you post in a long time... As for your question. I'm a single man with no kids, so I can't help you out! lol

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
any carseat will be fine.. go to babies-r-us and go with what YOU feel comfortable having YOUR kiddos in :)

we had 3 carseats in the back of the fj once upon a time. Right now we've got two booster seats.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I agree with Athena, one thing you might also want to consider is quick release car seats they work great with the swing doors and mount in a stroller easily. My God will bless your wife, twins are tough. My brother has triplet 13 year olds who I'm about to have to raise for the next five or so years. Life is so much fun day to day once you realize your winning:) Never give up just know that family is winning everyday. Congrats

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I agree with Athena, one thing you might also want to consider is quick release car seats they work great with the swing doors and mount in a stroller easily. My God will bless your wife, twins are tough. My brother has triplet 13 year olds who I'm about to have to raise for the next five or so years. Life is so much fun day to day once you realize your winning:) Never give up just know that family is winning everyday. Congrats

Please let it be known before hand, that this in no way gives you the right to let your frustrations out on us (your brother and sisters of the forum) what so ever! May God give you the strength :lol:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Baby seats fit just fine. My wheelchair and now booster seat ride great back there now-a-days!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, first kid on the way. I went to buy buy baby last night and NO, not just any car seat will fit. At buy buy baby and babies r us you can ask to test fit any car seat. Do so or you will regret it when you just go buy one and 'oh hell' it doesnt fit. The first car seat we test fit DID NOT work. The passenger seat was pushed all the way forward in order for the seat to fit in the back. And no normal adult can sit in the front seat with it like that. Test fit while you are at the stores.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok good suggestion...did you find a quick release one with a stroller that worked? I need something that I can easily get in the door. Especially since they will have to be rearfacing for the first six months...quick release would be great with stroller combo. Especially with the two...could just wheel them out and then toss them in the car. Even thought about installing the third row car seat and putting the kiddos back there...but rear is not the safest place.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We got the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio. We will be using it with the Baby Jogger City Select stroller (needs an adapter) which can be used as a doubles stroller.

And just an FYI, kids need to be rear facing until 1 year old AND 20 lbs.

You can check out this site for info about extended rear facing. CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

-Kristan

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Ok good suggestion...did you find a quick release one with a stroller that worked? I need something that I can easily get in the door. Especially since they will have to be rearfacing for the first six months...quick release would be great with stroller combo. Especially with the two...could just wheel them out and then toss them in the car. Even thought about installing the third row car seat and putting the kiddos back there...but rear is not the safest place.
Linn,

I think you got the right idea for a seat that has the baby carrier that snaps into the base and the stoller... That's what we always used. Some even turn into a forward facing carseat after the baby gets older too..

I forgot in my original post... CONGRATS girl!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have very strong opinions on the subject (take it for what it is worth :))

All infant seats are not created equally. There is a reason that some seats cost more than others...the majority of those sold at places like Target and kids R us are junk IMO.

Some bits of advice...

1) If you must buy from one of the super centers, make sure to try out the buckles and the ease of access and entry to the vehicle. In my experiences, the Graco seats are the worst for functional seat belts/buckles.

2) Look to names that are well respected...Britax and Recaro (both are manufacturer of racing seats) come to mind. I have purchased both brands for my girl and the different vehicles that we use...I have nothing but praise for both brands.

3) Shop around....prices can vary for the more expensive seats, Some of the britax seats can differ by $100 based on color alone (why???).

4) It is fine to keep your FJ...but I would make sure that your other vehicle is uber-functional (Yes, I am referring to the dreaded minivan). You would not believe the amount a collateral "stuff" that is required for a single baby not to mention two. We rented minivans when we travelled...honestly, they are awesome for the intended task :bigthumb:

Also, I though that I would mention my favorite baby accessory...

The Kelty Baby backpack/stroller, well worth the money.

Good luck with the babies!

Doc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll have to pry my FJ keys from my dead hands before I own let along drive a blasted minivan (no offense :) )

I hate, hate, hate minivans and think women are subjected to the vehicles etc due to the kiddos...not a fan...and won't have it..not in this family!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another vote for Peg Perego. I used Amazon. There are a ton of reviews there and I finally found it on sale for about $50 off for a one day sale.

Went with a bob jogging stroller. I really like the way it is built.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well all you make good points. Just a little here from someone who has an FJ and a Sienna Minivan. The FJ is my main car. My wife drives the 08 Sienna. Folks.....I hate to break it to you, and believe me, I feel for ya, but the FJ will pretty much not work for twins. There... I said it. The FJ is awesome in so many ways but hauling around twins has got to be one of its weakest points. Its just a PAIN in the Arse to be constantly opening the 1/2 doors and fiddling with things. The stuff you have to take with one kid is amazing, but with two.....it must be a ton of stuff. And when Mom needs to get out of the house to get some fresh air, the last thing she wants to do is struggle with the 1/2 doors, the poor access and tight fits when you try to get the kids out when parked in a tight spot. In fact, getting the kids out of the car seats, leaning in, buckling and unbuckling over time, will really wear on you. There will come a day when she says "Thats it !!! we are getting a car/truck with 4 real doors" !! When you compare the FJ to a dual power door Minivan with a power rear hatch..OMG !!!!! You have died and gone to heaven. I dont care what folks think about Minivans. If you have kids....they simply Rock! Just check out the Toyota swagger waggon videos on You tube...it will all come clear. And I might also add my wife was one of thoes anti-minivan gals. Swore up and down she would never own one. Now she laughs and jokes about how Im going to have to pry the keys out of her tightly clinched fist the when the motor finally blows. A true convert.

Ok...I must also say when I got my FJ, the wife drove it for the first 6000 miles with our young son with carseat and 80lb Lab. Yes...its doable but absolutely not preferred. As with another poster, We also had the Peg Perego Prima Viaggio which was excellent. Reccommend it.

For all thoes foks who have kids in CARSEATS frequently in the FJ. You have my respect. God love ya.

Let the flamin begin.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I had a Minivan and got stuck in the driveway at 1am in 6" of snow. I agree with 08fj the minivan is easy access great vehicle and I think some are all wheel drive now but he odyssey I had for four months wasn't and I was high centered after the snow truck went by and pushed the 6" of snow to 12" in front of my drive. I traded mine in for a huge loss on the Sequoia which I LOVED!! That caught on fire:( and my girlfriend talked me into the FJ and I'm lucky my kids are 5 and 7 but still miss my sequoia with 500HP SC. I will probably by another one if I could find a used one with a SC already installed at a decent price but WTF am I going to do with four cars that all have a different purpose? Wants and needs are oxymorons. LOL Why can't the H1 Hummer get 30MPG why??? It would solve all my issues:)

Sorry just my daily rant..

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I never had infants in the FJ - my twins were 4 when I got it. Like the others have said...you'll want car seats that click into the bases that stay attached to the vehicles seat. That way you just click the seat in and your ready to go.
I now have two 5's and an 8 yr old who ALWAYS want to go in the FJ.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm with the guy who posted that it isn't going to work.
I have two kids now and I'm 6' 2" and I have to drive smushed against the steering wheel because I can't move the seat back because of the seats. Some people either are short and this isn't an issue or they ignore the fact it's a small SUV.
I hate to say it but a Sequoia or LC may have to replace our FJ. It's sad cause I love how "offroad" it is.
I just took it up to the snow here in Norcal about a month and a half ago. We went to this resort parking lot where a 3-4 ft. water stream kinda ran through the parking area. I couldn't get around all the idiot people who can't park correctly and I was semi blocked in so I put her in "LL" and crawled through the stream in 4x4.
Should have seen the looks I got from all the people in Explorers and Yukons. LMAO
Still though it sucks for interior space.

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
Oh yea......pay close attention to this video. May not be so funny to you now but will hold very true in a year or two.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts