Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FJ CB Radio Channel.

6K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  WyoCruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
So driving around the other day and seeing other FJs made me think about something. If Truckers have Channel 19 as their universal Channel on their CB, why don't we have an FJ Universal Channel. Perhaps Channel 05 since all the folks in the SoCal Forums already run on Channel 5. In that way, if you randomly see other Forum members and they see you, you can easily strike up a conversation or just say hello. This would help for all of us when we all go out of state too. Just a Thought. Tell me what you think?

#3 ·
Seems like a good idea.

If the idea takes off I will need to revisit some of the posts here regarding CB radio mounting options.

Now, where did I put that copy of Smokey and the Bandit.

:)

#7 ·
Perhaps we should all make it Channel 5 instead since the Channel is already happening.:)
also...
I was wondering, maybe there is some where or some way to display our call sign/ Forum name, in that way we can easily communicate. Sorta like the military.
When I was in the Army, it was on the front and back corners of the humvee, but I doubt any of us would want to paint it on our FJs like that.

#6 · (Edited)
Channel 19 is know as the "Universal Trucker or Highway Channel" but on certain interstates they are different. I do believe (it's been a while) that the north-south route of I-5 channel 17 is used. I'll try to dig through my old papers and see if I can come up with my cheat sheet I had.

Ok, found it. Channel 17 is used on N-S routes and 19 is on E-W routes. Back in the day, 17 was used from the Grapevine to Sacramento and 19 was to Reno and Tahoe. 21 was used through out Orange County.

Channel 4 seems to be used by quite a few off-road clubs. NW FJ Cruiser Club (WA-ID-OR) uses it.

http://www.wattora.com/cb4.htm

Hope this helps. You'll also find a lot of companies using channels. The company I work for uses channel 4 on the big road and channel 5 when we hit the yard.

I have a Hi/Lo switch that lets me split the channels so I get 80 channels. It's good when you're with someone and they can do the same. A secret channel eliminates the eaves-droppers.

Happy trails

#21 ·
speaking of personalized plates, I've been waitin since december for da FNJNKIE. I called the last two months and they said its backordered, How can that be when prisons are at 4x capacity? seems like alot of Idle hands. CH5 it is though, Kokopeli started and we shall follow the music.

#28 ·
Great idea, the wave has been dead around here for a long time anyway. Most of the FJ owners in my area are not into what the FJ is all about anyway. I think I've seen 1 or 2 lifted or Off-Road ready FJ at any givin time. Hey "FJandFU", what you got there is a "side-bander" CB. I've had one of these in my truck since I was like 16 years old. It's the only way to go if you like to talk really long distances. I used to talk to this guy in Louisiana from time to time when conditions were right. If you catch the "skip" there's no telling how far you can reach. Gave up my big "Wilson 1000" ant. & now sport a 4' er. I wonder if a Moderator here could send a "PM" to every member informing them that the Universal CB channel is 5 ? I'll try it out the next time I see an FJ that looks like the owner my be a member here. I just saw a nicely rigged up FJ on the Northeast Extention of the PA. turnpike Sunday, I could have talked to him/her.:cheers:

#29 ·
In Colorado a lot of us are known to use channel 7 or 13... I think we should have a cb channel for Colorado folk :rocker:

#31 ·
I'll stick to lucky 13, since that's what we're always on p in my hood ;)

#32 ·
I'm thinking its taking too long to figure this one out. Most folks shouldn't be messing around with anything else while driving. Is it easier to text or to figure out the CB channels while doing 65mph. As for me, normal daily driving the CB and antenna are put away. As someone already said most FJ'ers don't know what the FJ is all about.

#33 ·
Yeah, I am curious how often any of you have actually struck up a conversation with a random FJer on the road?

I've almost given up on the :wave:

#34 ·
I think the only time someone tuned in, was when we were on our way out to Moab and Apexbasher came up on our tail and figured out our channel :rocker: Of course it was our passengers or co-pilots diddle daddling with the CB's :rolleyes:

#35 ·
I'm curious how many guys who have a permanent antenna/CB set up in their truck (rather than those that just pull it out for trail runs) actually run with the CB turned on during normal driving?

I installed mine about a week ago and ran for a few days on channel 9 and 19 and didn't hear a peep. But then again I'm 10-15 miles from the nearest freeway so I wouldn't hear much long-haul truck chatter

#36 ·
ours is a permanent set up but we don't leave it on..

#37 ·
NRA-Guns-Winner & FJTom331, "As someone already said most FJ'ers don't know what the FJ is all about". I'm starting to agree. Folks still wave out on the country roads where things are more laid back, but that is just normal no matter what you drive. In the big cities, where I see more and more FJs, I wave at them, but seldom get a reply, especially the ones that are spotless. Too bad. Perhaps they have become too common and people are buying them for the image. Similar to the 4dr Wrangler Saharas and H3s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.