Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FJ comes with Both Tire Covers?

3K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  NCSUpackFJ 
#1 ·
So I've noticed that my back up camera doesn't show more than 50% of the actually viewing area due to the placement in relation to the tire cover... I've had the truck since November but never took the cover off after hearing about what a PITA it is to put back on... Well, I decided I was going to fix it and when I took off the outer black full cover, I was very surprised to find the trash can lid cover hiding underneath.. It was my understanding that these came with one or the other but not both.. It was the double up that was causing the interference with my camera and I just can't figure out why my FJ would have them both... In case you were wondering, I bought her new from the dealership...

So.. has anyone else had this same issue? Is this normal?

#2 ·
I think you're just special, they probably wanted to give you a crash helmet too.

#3 ·
Oh and why are you posting in the newbie section? What happened to you in Peru? Did you turn into a Susan?

#4 ·
Well that would've been nice... Hmm.. Maybe you can confirm this one... It was my understanding that the trash can lid only comes on the TT's... Since they have the BFG All-Terrains.. Which is funny... and retarded.. That I bought the All-Terrain edition and it didn't come with All-Terrains... Instead it came with Rugged Trails... If they wanted to call it the All-Terrain edition it should've come with All-Terrains... Or they should've called it the Rugged Trail edition... Anyway... The real ***** of it is that I actually bought a trash can lid cover off a forum member a few months back thinking I'd rather have that than the full black cover... But I was waiting for summer or a rubber upgrade before installing it... Now I have two... Anyone in the market? They're both silver... I think you can paint them any color you like though... I'll throw in a rattle can for ya... Choose the color.

#5 ·
Aha, I drive a 2007, I have no knowledge of the trash cans except for they started putting them on in 2008. And I'm not even sure if that is correct. You dodged my, why the newbie section question.

#6 ·
Haha.. I didn't see that question... Well I posted it here because unless you can p*ss through a pin hole you can't post any threads in the general discussion forum without them getting moved.. It's getting ridiculous... but that's another thread... that I won't start.. (cause it will get moved)

#7 ·
^^^haha, thanks for the laugh. and i understand. i can piss through a pinhole... of course i'll piss on the entire pin too, but some of it will pass through the pin hole, i'm quite sure of that.

#8 ·
Well be that as it may (and you're welcome) no piss is allowed on the pin itself... I thought that was obviously implied.. The entirety of the stream must pass within the walls of the pin hole without making contact...

We need to chat about another topic that isn't relevant to the Newbie or General section... is there a medium for this?

#9 ·
Well that's impossible. Assuming we're speaking of a standard sized pin/needle. Since water has surface tension and wants to pull toward itself, I would imagine the bead of water required to fit through the hole would be very difficult to make, and that is just a bead, now if you try to make a stream, no way. I'm going to have to take a stand here, and say it cannot be done.

#11 ·
No no, by all means interrupt. We might have had a two man show, but he still has a valid question to which I do not have an answer. So, by all means, interrupt. :cheers:

#13 ·
One of the good funny ones, or one of the "god, British people are weird and not funny at all?" type sketch?

#14 ·

#15 ·
"tis but a flesh wound"

Not sure if this is now considered off topic or not???!.... But, my 2010 also has both the trash can lid and the full cover. Hehe, I had no idea till I pulled the spare off to mount a gobi ladder the other day.

#17 ·
rabbit your correct,i also have the trash can lid cover on mine and the outer tire cover,i looked at my window sticker and i didn't paid extra for the outer cover.i think it looks better with jsut the trashcan lid.but i will leave the outer cover on to protect the tire from sun,

#22 ·

#23 ·
i don't see much of a difference with the tire cover off,would any of u guys know the bolt size thread on the seats? i ordered 1 inch seat lifts for the drivers seat,i purchased them from 4crawlers offroad,i installed them fits nice ,but i wanted it higher.i found another website it's call performance auto they had 2 inch lifts but didn't come with bolts.anyone know the bolt thread size?

#25 ·
My 2010 (non-TT) came from the dealer with the trash can lid in place (silver center cover) and the black wheel cover lying in the cargo area (no extra charge). I removed the silver cover and put the black one on. No camera blockage. I think your dealer screwed up putting one on top of the other.

#26 ·
i checked mine too a couple days ago and i have the same black on the outside and trash can on the inside... when i trade out the dunlop for a matching bfg 285 ill take off the big cover...

#28 ·
I just took delivery of a spiffy new NSSE, but didn't get any kind of spare tire cover. Was I supposed to, d'ya think?
The manual shows a lid-type cover, which I would think would provide some sort of protection to the camera -- especially if I happen to back into a nice bit of shrubbery. Nothing fancy, of course....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.