Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it is done. It is possible.
Following this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/15663-cruise-control-keyless-entry-worth-adding-after-factory.html and I took mine into a dealer in Edmonton, since I wasnt too technical with opening the steering column and stuff.
They installed the Cruise Control Arm no problem on my MT6,
by the way, there were 2 parts require, the Cruise Control Arm, and a Wiring Kit.

and it look just like the factory one (lower right under the wiper arm).
Couldnt really tell you how much it cost since I was a guinea pig for them.
Hope this help with some of you looking at installing it.
As far as I can tell from the parts involve, it shouldnt be that difficult, just that I am not comfortable at opening steering column and such. :ninja:

Found the Parts Number:
Cruise Control Arm Part # 84632-34011
Wiring Harness Kit Part # 84633-34010

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've done a bit of research on this last spring. I priced the lever at about 120 bux Canadian, but couldn't find a wiring harness to go with it. Gonna have to get my butt in gear....

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
You mean base models don't come with it? Weak...
Nope, not even a rear wiper.
That is why I added on the CQ and Upgrade 1 packages.

Cruise and a rear wiper should be standard, but that is how Toyota makes money off of the base price I guess.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nope, not even a rear wiper.
That is why I added on the CQ and Upgrade 1 packages.

Cruise and a rear wiper should be standard, but that is how Toyota makes money off of the base price I guess.
Exactly. Rear wiper for me would be more essential to have, but i'm not willing to pay extra $3500 for the B-packagae ;)
at least now i have cruise control, something i dont use often but kinda nice to have. But having the FJ for 10 months, I've cleaned the rear window only twice :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good job! Thanks for being the guinea pig. The only options worth having in the $$$ packages are the cruise control and A-TRAC. It is nice to know one can add them after delivery and save the money for other, more worthwhile stuff. A $23k FJC is a great deal. $31,000 is too much money.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job! Thanks for being the guinea pig. The only options worth having in the $$$ packages are the cruise control and A-TRAC. It is nice to know one can add them after delivery and save the money for other, more worthwhile stuff. A $23k FJC is a great deal. $31,000 is too much money.
Thanks to all the helpful information you, Bjorno (pics), and others have provided. Parts are definitely cheaper to get from the US, but I've opt to get it from the local dealer because they will not charge me if the install had not worked. :roller:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Exactly. Rear wiper for me would be more essential to have, but i'm not willing to pay extra $3500 for the B-packagae ;)
at least now i have cruise control, something i dont use often but kinda nice to have. But having the FJ for 10 months, I've cleaned the rear window only twice :)
I am just the opposite.
I never use cruise although I have it, but it rains a lot here in WA. state, and the rear wiper gets a real good workout.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks to all the helpful information you, Bjorno (pics), and others have provided. Parts are definitely cheaper to get from the US, but I've opt to get it from the local dealer because they will not charge me if the install had not worked. :roller:
It sounds like you have found a great dealer. Very few would go outside the box at your request and not give you the burden of risk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boyfriend and I did the cruise install this past weekend. It was $90 for the switch, $32 for the wiring harness and $2 for the m5-.8 screws to mount the switch.

The hardest part of the install was popping out the 2 covers on the side of the steering wheel. They do scratch very easily.

It really is a plug and play type setup. Removed the old wiring harness and installed the new one in its place.

So since getting my very base model, we've added the following options:

keyless entry with alarm: $300
upgraded wheels (like what come in the upgrade) $500
cruise control $124
working on the rear speaker install in the pillars:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was also looking into this mod and have now ordered the parts.

The wire harness - can you reach where it plugs in without removing the airbag? Seems it is out of sight, above and behind the airbag? What was involved in this step?

Thanks!

Bjorn

My boyfriend and I did the cruise install this past weekend. It was $90 for the switch, $32 for the wiring harness and $2 for the m5-.8 screws to mount the switch.

The hardest part of the install was popping out the 2 covers on the side of the steering wheel. They do scratch very easily.

It really is a plug and play type setup. Removed the old wiring harness and installed the new one in its place.

cruise control $124

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

cruise control $124
rear speakers are plug and play also with this
the wirings are there, just the harness makes it much easier :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: FJ Cruise Control Installed - a three zip job

I was also looking into this mod and have now ordered the parts.

The wire harness - can you reach where it plugs in without removing the airbag? Seems it is out of sight, above and behind the airbag? What was involved in this step?

Thanks!

Bjorn

Thanks to gj07fjc and fj2fish for showing it can be done. This gave me the motivtion to re-address this. Thanks guys! And to Alex, the originator of this idea, among others.

My initial problem was figuring out how to get behind the wheel to access the harness. Here is the procedure:

1. Disconnect battery
2. Open beer - take a zip
3. Remove access covers from left and right side of steering wheel (as mentioned by others)
4. Use 30 Torx screw driver and loosen torx screw located behind the steering wheel access covers. You don’t remove them – just screw them out until they stop. They are tight – one I had to use a pair of pliers on the screwdriver handle in order to loosen it.

See thumbnail 1.

5. Lift out the steering wheel center section. This section is held in place by the before mentioned screws. Now you can pull center section with the airbag off the steering wheel.

See thumbnail 2

6. Take zip of beer
7. Remove old wiring harness – one end goes to the horn, the other goes to the connector.
8. Put new wiring harness in place - one end now goes to the cruise control switch, one to the horn.

See thumbnail 3

9. Insert cruise control stalk – insert from inside and through the access hole.
10. Fasten cruise control stalk with two 5m .8 screws – one can be about 10 mm long, the other 15mm long. Get from hardware store or order from Toyota when you order cruise control and wiring harness. Part number 90159-50199. Cruise control is 84632, and wiring harness is 84633.

See thumbnail 4

11. Take zip of beer.
12. Put steering wheel center section back on, tighten torx screws.
13. Insert left access cover back into steering wheel. Cut hole in right cover, leave out or order new from Toyota.

Success!!! See thumnail 5

All in all a 5 minute job, including the beer...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bjorno,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the post. Been out having fun with the FJ as well as adding some upgrades. Since you've completed the task and put in a nice writeup, you already know the answer to the question you asked me.

I am really enjoying the cruise. I am so glad that the mod worked. If anyone is interested, we had the door panels off the other day to see what speakers we we could put in the front doors and I looked around and it looks like the wiring for power mirrors is there. I was wondering how many other mods there are where the wiring is there and it is a matter of purchasing a few parts.

If anyone is thinking about doing the cruise add on......just do it. It is rather easy and it was fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts

cruise control $124

Hi There!
Can I ask where you purchased the Wiring Harness for this?? I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser that does not have cruise and I just ordered the OEM Control Lever on ebay for under $30.00. Now I just need the wiring harness I think...#250-2705.

Thanks!

Dwayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All;
Any idea why my dealer said that there are no "OEM" installs for the 2007 Toyota FJ cruiser of mine? Really wierd...I was asking about them installing the package and they said they could not do it for some reason. I am in Canada...Would this make a difference in regards to the wiring done on Canadian Vehicles?

Thoughts anyone ?

Thanks

Dwayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am In B.C. and Have a 2007 Toyota FJ Base Model and want to install cruise control. how would i go about finding the parts to install???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts