Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a newbie to the forum and to the FJ Cruiser. My husband recently bought a 2007 model and LOVES it but is finding the blind spots a bit difficult. This is most apparent backing up. I would like to get him a camera accessory for a gift. (I have read some other posts about side view mirror options and will buy some convex mirrors -- an easy install). I am not mechanical and will bring the car to a professional for installation (if I can separate him from the car for a day!). Many of the sites offering cameras online are geared for RVs. He has no nav system so a monitor will also need to be installed, or adapted rear view mirror.
What is the best quality back up camera for the FJ, with the least intrusive installation? I hope to spend less than $150 but want quality. I worry a bumper camera will get damaged. He has a tow hitch but needs the camera for the boat. He has a bike rack attachment which is not used frequently. Currently no cover on the spare. Thank you in advance! :grin Indigoforest

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A rear-facing camera is a great idea. I rely on mine very heavily and wouldn't want to be without it!

Later models that have backup cameras have them installed in the spare tire carrier vs. the rear bumper. It provides a good field of view and is unobtrusive.

There have been a number of discussions on the forum about back up cameras ranging from $15 and integrating into the stereo head unit (with a lot of DIY work) to more expensive options. The cameras themselves are pretty inexpensive, but in your case the more expensive part will be the install.

I know you're trying to stay reasonable on budget here, but you might consider an aftermarket stereo that provides the video screen. One less widget in your cabin and you can upgrade the sad factory stereo at the same time.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
There have been a number of discussions on the forum about back up cameras ranging from $15 and integrating into the stereo head unit (with a lot of DIY work) to more expensive options. The cameras themselves are pretty inexpensive, but in your case the more expensive part will be the install.

I know you're trying to stay reasonable on budget here, but you might consider an aftermarket stereo that provides the video screen. One less widget in your cabin and you can upgrade the sad factory stereo at the same time.
+1 on this, find a Car Toys and splurge on a double-din navi unit with backup camera capability. The factory backup camera install in later FJ's is cleanest (integrates with the mirror) but the mirror is expensive, and any extra-screen solution is going to take up space and only be used 0.2% of the time that you're in the truck.

This helps solve the navi problem too, sticking it to the windshield is a long reach for anybody. You can buy a Panavise mount for a navi and integrate it into the center stack, but having a navi headunit solves that problem too.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Here's how I see it... When anyone drives an FJ for the first time, they always have one complaint: BLIND SPOTS. It's very true, you can't see crap behind you most of the time. However, I've also found that almost everyone who sticks with the FJ ends up moving past that nuisance. We all just start to get used to it. I recently added a different rear bumper, and now almost ALL of my backup view is blocked. I've got a reverse camera, but I don't pay much attention to it. I rely most on the backup sensors. I guess what I'm trying to say is give it a little more time before you go spending a fortune for some audio shop to add a camera.

On the other hand, how often does he tow his boat, and when he tows is he alone? I completely understand the desire for a reverse camera if you've got to back up the vehicle directly to a trailer with no one to spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.

I am new to the forum and was wondering what you decided to get for a backup camera and display monitor. I also have a 2007 model. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Hi, welcome from Portland :)

Kenwood DDx793 (no navigation). Alpine camera. Red Eye rear bumper, has option to mount a camera in the center of the spare. The camera can be mounted about anywhere.

Configured as a backup camera and review camera. There are no blind spots.

IMG_0410.jpg

Other than maybe a Smart Car, I can see the rear of the car on the screen and the front out the front door windows. 170 degree coverage.

The image is very wide screen and it worthless for cars behind at long distances. Mirrors work ok for that.

Reactions: jak_oat22
1 - 6 of 6 Posts