Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your biggest FEAR regarding the FJ Cruiser now that they're not being manufactured for the US market anymore? Availablity of parts, mods, rust? I have never been as loyal to an automobile as my FJ and wonder what the future holds for my beloved vehicle. :worried:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My only fear is that mine will get totaled, and instead of being able to buy a brand new one, I'll have to get a used one to replace it. I'm not a fan of buying used anything because you have no idea what the previous owner did with it.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
My only fear is that mine will get totaled, and instead of being able to buy a brand new one, I'll have to get a used one to replace it. I'm not a fan of buying used anything because you have no idea what the previous owner did with it.
that is a very good point. It will be kind of exciting once people find those hidden cream puffs with low low miles and whatnot

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crash is definitely a concern. My last car I was sitting stopped at a light and some clown rear-ended me. Worst part was I saw it coming in the rear view mirror and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. I live north of Chicago and take evasive action to avoid an accident at least twice a month.

There's nothing like the open roads out west!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I too fear getting mine totaled or stolen.
Not necessarily now, but 5 or ten years down the line when finding a replacement will be tougher.
By no means this will prevent me from driving mine, but that thought will always be there.
Guess I'll be driving very defensively. Do that already when I take my old Nova out for a spin.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No fear,

As a 4x4 "Toy" the FJ will always be desireable. As they get older and depreciate it will only afford more people the opportunity to purchase one. That being said, the only issue is the inability to go out and buy a new one as the current rig ages...but we will just have to wait and see what Toyota has in store for the future.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Biggest fear.......That the ridiculous price of the windshield trim piece with get even more ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I don't have a fear..... really. I have seriously torn up some stuff. Everything is fixable. Parts are available, even if they have to be sourced from over seas. There are people in Europe driving US cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. They have to source parts from the U.S. We will just have to source parts from Australia or Japan. It won't be cheap but what really is cheap these days?

·
Registered
237 Posts
That toyota comes out with something closely resembling the 40's, removable top, a gorgeous color scheme, still room for four, dual gas tanks with a revised 5.7 v8 with > 20mpg combined for a reasonable price...causing me to part with a FJC.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I don't have a fear..... really. I have seriously torn up some stuff. Everything is fixable. Parts are available, even if they have to be sourced from over seas. There are people in Europe driving US cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. They have to source parts from the U.S. We will just have to source parts from Australia or Japan. It won't be cheap but what really is cheap these days?
How 'bout those Cubans? Not sure how they pull it off, but they have what might be the most extensive collection of vintage Detroit iron.

That being said, Japanese iron oxidation is my main concern.

·
Registered
999 Posts
LOL..

That is why my FJ is parked and only used on sunny sundays once every few months !

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just came back from Costa Rica and I saw a ton of FJ40s on the road. You'd think they were still manufacturing them. Seems like every 5th or 6th vehicle was an old Land Cruiser - and many were in mint condition. I hope the FJC shares this same legacy of lasting 40-50 years +.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I just hope I can live long enough to wear this thing out. Under 30K on the clock and I know these motors will run for 400K if you take care of them.

Toyota's TRD division is beefing up the Tundra, Taco and Forerunner as we speak. Each will be offered in an all new, even better TRD package. Ford really got them motivated when they built the Raptor and did so well in Baja. Toyota TRD guys are beefing up the suspension, drive train and even talking about approach and departure angles on the off road versions of all three.

I could see myself in a lifted and suspended four door tundra or Taco with a V-8 some day, but more than likely in a lifted Runner with all the goodies and no back seat. Yes, I'll be building a sleeping platform, steel bullet proof bumpers, rock rails, roof rack, lights up the azz........heeeeew, I hope nothing happens to my FJ.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,325 Posts
I just hope I can live long enough to wear this thing out. Under 30K on the clock and I know these motors will run for 400K if you take care of them.

Toyota's TRD division is beefing up the Tundra, Taco and Forerunner as we speak. Each will be offered in an all new, even better TRD package. Ford really got them motivated when they built the Raptor and did so well in Baja. Toyota TRD guys are beefing up the suspension, drive train and even talking about approach and departure angles on the off road versions of all three.

I could see myself in a lifted and suspended four door tundra or Taco with a V-8 some day, but more than likely in a lifted Runner with all the goodies and no back seat. Yes, I'll be building a sleeping platform, steel bullet proof bumpers, rock rails, roof rack, lights up the azz........heeeeew, I hope nothing happens to my FJ.
The Tundra TRD Pro actually won it's class in Baja this year and came in 69th overall. They had one mishap and tore up the side of the truck, but did great even with that. After they won they then drove the truck home to CA instead of putting it on the trailer.

The TRD Pro team finished first among four teams with a time of 35:40:40.581 according to SCORE, the sanctioning body of the race. The Toyota Land Cruiser (200 series) team came in second with a time of 36:30:06.529. The other two teams driving a Ford F-150 Raptor SVT and a Hummer H1 didn't finish.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/386234-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-baja-1000-team-wins-class.html

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The Tundra TRD Pro actually won it's class in Baja this year and came in 69th overall. They had one mishap and tore up the side of the truck, but did great even with that. After they won they then drove the truck home to CA instead of putting it on the trailer.

The TRD Pro team finished first among four teams with a time of 35:40:40.581 according to SCORE, the sanctioning body of the race. The Toyota Land Cruiser (200 series) team came in second with a time of 36:30:06.529. The other two teams driving a Ford F-150 Raptor SVT and a Hummer H1 didn't finish.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/386234-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-baja-1000-team-wins-class.html
Cool, I read about the Tundra in ORA magazine. I was referring to 2008.

The raptor did it first and motivated many to competes in that class.

Copied this:
"ENSENADA, MEXICO, Nov. 25, 2008 – Ford SVT Raptor R Wins Baja 1000.
The Ford F-150 SVT Raptor R race truck, based on the production version of the upcoming 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor, survived the grueling 41st Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, finishing the 631 mile race in 25:28:10."

Those TRD guys driving that Tundra home reminds me of when Ty Davis RODE his WR450 Yamaha to a race in Cali. He won that race and then rode it back home.

Hope all is well with you my Friend!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts