Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if you clicked here thinking there was news of Toyota bringing back the FJ Cruiser to the US market.

But Toyota apparently just made the announcement that the Hilux was being introduced to Japan. They also announced that the right-hand drive FJ Cruiser (the only kind of FJ still manufactured for the Japan market) is receiving a Final Edition model which looks surprisingly similar to the 2010 Trail Teams Special Edition. It is a beige color with black trim.

For me though the most surprising addition to the Final Edition FJC is that from the factory it will have 20" wheels! Never thought I'd see the day where that happened. What are your thoughts on this FJ?

Be sure to read the article here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/12/toyota-hilux-returns-japan-land-cruiser-prado-fj-cruiser/

Another thought is that last year it had been said it was going to be the FJ Cruisers last production year in any market (see article here) but obviously that wasn't the case, so is this Final Edition an official sign of the end of FJ Cruiser production anywhere? This following link will take you to a site that claims that to be the case:

Toyota Finally Says Goodbye to The FJ Cruiser

I do enjoy however the unique interior! The beige seats (again reminiscent of a 2010 TTSE) are a good addition to match the exterior but notice in the pictures the beige trim on the sides of the radio/climate control console! And the door and radio trim are black in color though the exterior is the beige color, similar to how the TT Ultimate Edition didn't necessarily have matching trim color. And most interesting is the black trim on the far sides of the dash with the air vents that are traditionally silver! First FJ to ever offer those in a color from the factory other than silver! Very unique, cool look! (Then again keep in mind this may not be what the actual Final Edition will look like, the 1st "2014 TTUE prototype" showed color matched trim for the radio console and doors as well as a white TOYOTA logo on the grille to match the white grille bezel but then the actual TTUEs released were different.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Looks like the wheels off the Limited-trim 4Runner:

I kinda feel like all we're missing out on here in the US is the OEM aux fuel tank they optioned on the Australian trucks.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad way for it to end!

20's? Really??

And what is that around the rear door hinge?
I noticed that too! And I dunno! Haha Maybe Just plastic trim? Or possibly a more robust hinge?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,109 Posts
It's a RHD so maybe the rear door opens the opposite way and that's a door handle.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I just hurts down deep to think someone somewhere in the world can still buy a new FJ and we can't...at least she lives on and production is ongoing for a while longer. Can't imagine hoping for anything new to replace the FJ until it's done for good.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
that thing on the LH side of the back door looks just like a normal hinge, with a gratuitously large piece of plastic trim around it

Regarding what the RH side of the backdoor looks like, with the license plate located in the bumper: just the same as ours, but the plastic piece of trim is shaped ever so slightly differently so it only has the handle.

Those 20s look awful. But I am just jealous because they get to buy FJs and we don't.

N

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like how the spare tire cover still looks like a standard 265 tire with a 16 or 17" wheel and then it has 20" wheels.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,348 Posts

For me though the most surprising addition to the Final Edition FJC is that from the factory it will have 20" wheels! Never thought I'd see the day where that happened. What are your thoughts on this FJ?

:rofl: :domotwak::notsigned::twak::rocket::stickpoke: :gotrice:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,109 Posts
Hey at least it comes with those, "I've got a weird growth" on my fender mirrors.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
"But we still thought we should give a proper fair well to the weirdness that was the FJ Cruiser. Hopefully Toyota will replace it with something even stranger."

Oh man, tell us how you really feel... :rofl:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Going out with a wimper. :( At least the U.S. got a nice send off. :cheers:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm sure this was already posted a long time ago, but it seems fitting that alongside the final edition we should have the concept that started it all at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show. What a beauty. I would like to see some mods like the integrated winch, two-piece retracting rear glass panel, convenient rear-access doors, and removable navi on my TTUE. Here is an excerpt from a contemporaneous Motor Trend article:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.motortrend.com/news/03-2003-detroit-auto-show/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwiOmefn6aXWAhVJ3GMKHbx4BPkQFggwMAE&usg=AFQjCNEseNc8T-nBm2rEVNXX6y9QoGbkOQ&ampcf=1

"Flanked by tree-hugging alternative propulsion vehicles on the Toyota stage, the FJ Cruiser concept stood as the modern reinterpretation of the original FJ 40 and early Land Cruisers that inspired pioneering off-roaders to explore. The concept vehicle was developed Stateside to tap into both the youth market and light-truck segment. Penned by a 25-year-old designer, the FJ Cruiser features a two-piece retracting rear glass panel and convenient rear-access doors. Other interesting details include spotlights mounted on the side mirrors, and integrated (yet removable) dash-mounted GPS unit. The affordable sport/ute rides on a modified Tacoma pickup platform fitted with a supercharged 3.4-liter/250-horsepower V-6. The TRD-enhanced engine is matched with a four-speed automatic transmission and essential four-wheel-drive, complete with low range. Insiders suggest that the FJ will see production for the 2006 model year if reaction is strong on the auto show circuit."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
strange thing on back door is indeed a door handle and functions different from ours, opens either glass or door depends on what part of handle is pulled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts