Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I’m installing hybrid flow headers with y-pipe and on my 2012 I was wondering about the headers gasket do I need new ones , will OEM gaskets work if not what gaskets should I get , and regarding the O2 sensors the OEM ones fits with no problem.
Musical instrument Sculpture Wood Bicycle part Plant

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a friend of mine has the same brand and he installed the headers with OEM gaskets and used silicon but its optional, regarding the O2 sensors how many sensors are connected on the OEM manifold? , because in the aftermarket ones it uses 3 or 4 .

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys so I’m installing hybrid flow headers with y-pipe and on my 2012 I was wondering about the headers gasket do I need new ones , will OEM gaskets work if not what gaskets should I get , and regarding the O2 sensors the OEM ones fits with no problem. View attachment 1202698
I would replace the gasket due to the heat ! the OEM gasket will have cracks in them and may leak

· Registered
7,933 Posts
No RTV silicone is going to be of any value on an exhaust header joint.

A reliable seal is obtained by dead-flat surfaces, the correct gasket, and the cirrect fasterner tightening torque.

The Oermatex Gold RTV silicone is inly rated for intermittent exposure to 700F, and your exhaust system runs much hotter than that at high loads.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
I totally agree that with a flat flange/ mating surface and proper torque you shouldn't need anything. Otherwise it's pretty common to use ultra copper at the flange, especially on turbo applications that are more prone to leaks due to high backpressure. Been there, done that with great success.

I was surprised to find even my OEM manifolds had evidence of leaks at the head. I followed the URD instructions and used the rtv again on the header install and it's still there many days later, no leaks either.

· Premium Member
5,081 Posts
It seems weird that they would recommend using an RTV sealer that is only good to 700F, when there is a perfectly good muffler and exhaust sealer good to 2000F, also sold by Permatex.

Especially since manifolds typically get 600~930F and working the engine hard can go over 1800.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.