Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
homedad is that a laptop being help up by a single strip of velcro?? I think that would be the first time Ive seen anything like that

·
Registered
232 Posts
for what the bracket cost.. you could buy a GPS now.

i have not found the need for my laptop in my car yet. >>>

what do you use it for . ? nav ?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I was the very first to buy Ram mount for an FJ, that is what the company said. I have had mine for about a year and a half. I love it. I run laptop all day long when working sing MS Street & Trips along with DeLome USA. :)

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was the very first to buy Ram mount for an FJ, that is what the company said. I have had mine for about a year and a half. I love it. I run laptop all day long when working sing MS Street & Trips along with DeLome USA. :)

Mike
Mike, how does that thing hold up with offroading? Or do you not use it when offroading? Just curious ... Is it illegal to have that thing going in the car or no?

I was trying to find something a bit more "professional" to display the goodies of my laptop/webcam setup

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ram mounts are one of the best laptop mounts I have seen, but they are very large and heavy. The do hold very well, but they have the bulk to match.

I've done several different installs with Ram mounts, and other types, but they are one of the best if you go for that kind of thing.

I personally don't like them much....I think they are too big. However, they need that bulk to hold the weight of a laptop without bouncing all over the place.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I use Garmin's nRoute program in my Sony Vaio w/my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx GPS in my FJ when traveling in unfamiliar territory. I thought about getting one of these laptop stands, but I found that setting the GPS and the Vaio on the right side of the the FJ's flat dashboard works just fine for my needs. However, absent the dashboard, using the stand would definitely be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Does the RAM mount affect your passenger's seat adjustment? Since it mounts to the 2 bolts that hold the rail, it looks like if the seat moves forward it could contact the vertical post to the mount.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
search jeniko laptop mount here and you will see mine
best $50 I ever spent
thinner than ram
I use the drill thru one since it is stronger but others have used the seat bolt universal with some mods
Jeniko
used hard over a year no isssue

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My 2c's worth: Another FJ'er has the RAM mount installed so my navigator tries out the passenger seat and found it very claustrophobic(sp?). So I made my own based on my brothers idea: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/46455-another-laptop-mount.html

And yes, I think all mounts affect how close the seat can move forward.

We run a Garmin 76cxs through the laptop with National Geographic's TOPO maps. TOPO allows real time intergration with the gps so we have real time routeing and location at all times on the trail. My mount has been truely tested on some very rough roads and is extremely solid. Two strips of velcro is what holds the laptop.

We're so addicted that we feel lost when not using it, which is never when we are in the FJ. We use the gps as just a device to transmit our position to the laptop now. (except when we are outside the vehicle)

Hope you find your solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts