Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I will start by telling my whole story so that you can be updated with me and help me figure out what is the problem, First of all my car is Fj 2015 with 127,xxx Km , my whole problem started when i went to the desert and drove recklessly when done with that the car began to vibrate and unordinaly things happend like the vibration from hell and the significant power loss, The things that I did were; Cleaned the maf sensor , throttle body, throttle sensor, the black box on top of the head, and even changed the throttle 3 times , cleaned the maf sensor again , changed the whole air intake filter system nothing worked. Afterwards went to change the manifold with the y-pipe and etc and guess what the vibration became a little decent turned out my cataliyc converters where broken abd blocked the path, but still the vibration didn’t go and on top of that I have a vibration at idle and when moving specifically begin from within the range of 40-65 when it reaches 65 the vibration is very noticable and when you go over that specific speed the vibration goes. i have an automatic transmission and with some research and opinion of other friends they told me its that torque converter with reading about the converter and really feeling it was the problem because it talked about the vibration within the same range as mine so I thought yeah finally that should be it so changed the converter with 2 switches within the gear ones for the pressure and valve body with gear filter, oil pump , oil and new gasket with seal. Guess what the problem still exists, inspected more and now I have been narrowing it down had a bad shaft mount which is called the cross changed the back and front even so still , have a vibration while idle , while driving at certin speed and power loss , spark plugs have been changed at 100k and injectors cleand at 80K , nothing shows with the computer and have no check engine light. Now I’m thinking of cleaning the injectors again and changing the maf also with checking the plugs again but don’t what to change something that is not necessary because I’ve already paid alot. Talked to an expert mechanic and told me to check the fuel pump. Now I need your help guys has anyone been through this or have any idea what the hell is the problem.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You are going to have to "come clean" and describe IN DETAIL exactly what you mean by "I went to the desert and drove recklessly".

In order to provide any type of useful troubleshooting advice, we are going to need to know EXACTLY what abuse you subjected your FJ to.

Did the undercarriage impact rocks? (possible bent driveshafts, suspension damage, exhaust system damage, etc.)
Did you "jump" the vehicle so that all four wheels left the ground? (broken engine or transmission mounts, bent frame, bent rear differential housing, driveline misalignment, etc.)
Did the engine or transmission overheat?
Did any other part of the vehicle impact against any object?
Did you get stuck in deep sand, and abuse the driveline when trying to extricate yourself?

We need the full, complete story ... blindly replacing parts in hopes that you might eventually "fix" the problem is ridiculous, especially as it sounds like you may have several different, unrelated problems going on simultaneously.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are going to have to "come clean" and describe IN DETAIL exactly what you mean by "I went to the desert and drove recklessly".

In order to provide any type of useful troubleshooting advice, we are going to need to know EXACTLY what abuse you subjected your FJ to.

Did the undercarriage impact rocks? (possible bent driveshafts, suspension damage, exhaust system damage, etc.)
Did you "jump" the vehicle so that all four wheels left the ground? (broken engine or transmission mounts, bent frame, bent rear differential housing, driveline misalignment, etc.)
Did the engine or transmission overheat?
Did any other part of the vehicle impact against any object?
Did you get stuck in deep sand, and abuse the driveline when trying to extricate yourself?

We need the full, complete story ... blindly replacing parts in hopes that you might eventually "fix" the problem is ridiculous, especially as it sounds like you may have several different, unrelated problems going on simultaneously.
Alright let me be clear again so I had bought king shocks and have installed them befor doing to the desert this whole story was about testing the shocks but the funny thing I absued it without checking the gas and guess what there was absolutely no gas in the shocks and by driving recklessly it’s exactly as what you said the car was jumping up and down and yes the 4 wheels were in the air, the whole exhaust system was changed so there is absolutely nothing wrong with 100 percent certainty same goes with the shaft perfectly straight and for the gear and the engine mounts all looking perfect but will check again and no nothing was overheating all seemed perfect temperature. The problem started when the car was going up and down hitting the sand. Let me state again the problems am facing now are vibrations while idle but not that brutal and definitely abnormal vibration starting withn the range 40-65kmh only when accelerating slowly while on ‘D’ if accelerating fast even when reching this range it appears there is no vibration. When changing gear to fourth the vibration seems to go while the rpm is going up. Another problem that came now while using the gears while I’m on second gear and accelerating before nearly reaching the rev limit for the second gear the engine feel like it’s hesitating and the rpm it not going up smoothly same goes for gear 3 to 4, and definitely the power loss is noticeable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect a bad head valves,, maybe one or more dose not close all the way..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve suspected something of that sort but you see I’ve had half of my engine fixed and repaired at Toyota agency at about 60,000km so It’s all new but even so If there was a bad valve won’t it give out a clear sound from the engine? like a ticking sound or something unusual. As far as I checked the engine seems to be running normal

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’ve suspected something of that sort but you see I’ve had half of my engine fixed and repaired at Toyota agency at about 60,000km so It’s all new but even so If there was a bad valve won’t it give out a clear sound from the engine? like a ticking sound or something unusual. As far as I checked the engine seems to be running normal
Ture..

From where you feel the vibration?
any loosing in power?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ture..

From where you feel the vibration?
any loosing in power?

I feel it from the engine .. but if being specific at idle I feel it in the pedal and in the car seat which I’m sitting on while driving within the range 40-65 It feel like the whole car vibrates from the engine but where exactly here I don’t know .. but the steering wheel is perfectly straight so I don’t think it is a balancing issue or I would’ve known. And yes at higher speeds and high rpm I do feel a loss in power

·
Registered
690 Posts
A compression test is simple, basic, easy, quick, and very informative. After opening the hood and turning on the garage lights should be in the top three things to do when engines is on the list of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
You do and changed _ Clean many things.. I believe you problem is a mechanical.

I said that I suspect the engine valve, because you said you found catalyst converter bad.. And I am still suspect that. your valve maybe doesn’t seals well. No seal valve will exactly do the power losses and the vibration..

If you can, go to a good mechanic and let him open the engine and check.. and in the way check the timing and tensioner - chain ect..

And wait maybe the other friends here , give your another answer..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do and changed _ Clean many things.. I believe you problem is a mechanical.

I said that I suspect the engine valve, because you said you found catalyst converter bad.. And I am still suspect that. your valve maybe doesn’t seals well. No seal valve will exactly do the power losses and the vibration..

If you can, go to a good mechanic and let him open the engine and check.. and in the way check the timing and tensioner - chain ect..

And wait maybe the other friends here , give your another answer..
My cats were broken due to excassive revving and cutoff but to be honest I did have something that seems like a leak which I showed an expert but he said it was normal as it is oil vapor because of constantly driving with high rpm or speed and said fj cruisers do have this problem :/ but even so I still don’t think thay it’s ‘normal’ here is a photo showing the problem.. I did clean the spot after taking a video of it to see if it’ll leak again or some residue will show.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,977 Posts
Who installed dead shocks?

FJtest is THE best at what he does and he's trying to be helpful when he asks specific questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who installed dead shocks?

FJtest is THE best at what he does and he's trying to be helpful when he asks specific questions.
I got the shocks from a friend he told me to check the gas but unfortunately I didn’t anyhow I hope someone would help me I would be grateful. If there is anything I forgot to mention or something you need to know ask me

·
Registered
343 Posts
So, you went airborne (all 4 wheels off the ground) with shocks that had no gas in them? I would not be surprised if you broke stuff - engine mounts, tranny mounts etc. All 4 off the ground is hard on well setup vehicles - let alone one with effectively no shocks.
If your FJ has less vibration under load (accelerating), could the torque of the engine (assuming a broken mount) "lock" the engine in place while accelerating and therefore you feel less vibration?

Maybe FJTest will come back and offer up his thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, you went airborne (all 4 wheels off the ground) with shocks that had no gas in them? I would not be surprised if you broke stuff - engine mounts, tranny mounts etc. All 4 off the ground is hard on well setup vehicles - let alone one with effectively no shocks.
If your FJ has less vibration under load (accelerating), could the torque of the engine (assuming a broken mount) "lock" the engine in place while accelerating and therefore you feel less vibration?

Not exactly there is absolutely no vibration while driving except when reaching the specific range which is 40-65kmh with slow acceleration the vibration is not that excessive but definitely it’s not normal and it has to be on ‘D’ which is drive otherwise there is no vibration whatsoever while driving, but the loss in power still exists at higher speeds and to be exact starts from the 2nd gear and on.. I have no problem with full throttling from 1st gear to 2nd I have a good acceleration tbh but after that begin the loss in power the rpm doesn’t rise smoothly feels like the engine hesitates while nearly reaching the rev limit and now I’m experiencing a little pop sound from the exhaust while idle and while nearly reaching the rev limits in 2nd gear and on looks like it’s getting worse.. I’ve been looking at bad fuel pump symptoms which seems to have nearly similar problems with me but I don’t have an issue with starting the car up it starts normaly with no problems but I do hear a low frequency buzzing from the fuel tank which seems it’s the fuel pump? Been a while with hearing this buzzing and I guess now I know from where it resonates..

·
A-Team Moderator
8,977 Posts
My question is, why are you full throttling in 1st gear, maxing out the rev limiter, then shifting to 2nd on an auto trans? It's yours, beat the hell out of it if you want, but there's consequences to these actions and here we are. Is this just your dune bashing play toy? I assume not w/ the year and mileage.

"D" is overdrive. I'd have to say that you have a broken mount somewhere that was missed causing the vibration and a leak and/or bad valve causing the pop. But I'm no expert, that's FJtest's area. Search and read some of his posts, then you'll get it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
809 Posts

The shocks will function without the nitrogen. The nitrogen is contained in a separate chamber usually on the other side of a floating piston to help prevent cavitation. (air mixing with the oil) This is mostly for maintaining consistent damping performance. It's pretty unlikely he was bottoming out excessively just because they were low on nitrogen. Not optimal but not full pogo stick. :)

Since you have a vibration at idle but no mis-firing this makes me think crank pulley. The outer ring is pressed/adhered to the inner on a rubber bushing. I have seen these come apart with age/abuse. If it was damaged and or slipping I could imagine it causing some odd sensations under load. If i'm reading this incorrectly and it's only while you're moving i'd be looking at driveline. CV axles, driveshaft, ujoints, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One other thing to check. Make sure there is not a rock or something blocking the movement of an engine mount. Also make sure they are not broken. Can you get a clunk out of it if you put it in drive, put your foot on the brake and give it some gas? That would be a broken mount for almost certain. Just simple check to rule out a couple of possibilites.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts