Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I’m having a hard time deciding. Fix up my stock 2011 FJ or trade in for a FJ 100 Land Cruiser. They both get the same fuel mileage. I think they both perform the same off-road. I’ve always had Land Cruisers but went with this FJ. I’m not convinced it’s going to hold up as well as a LC. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
The 100 series land cruiser is going to be a disadvantage offroad. Its about 1000 lbs heavier and longer wheelbase. For mild trails they are both fine though. You will get nice creature comforts with the LC but as far as reliability goes you will have a tough time beating the 120 chassis considering you could consider it the upgraded/newer version of the 100 series. Timing belt on the LC vs chain on the V6 so its not all rainbows and sunshine. Same gas mileage confirmed though.

Do the 100 LC's come with a locker?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,581 Posts
A personal choice. Both Toyota so no worries on the mechanicals either way. The 100 has more room, more comfort, bigger rear doors so better if you have family. But older and less common (maybe?) Both can be modded but If I was going to swap my FJ for a Land Cruiser it would have to be a sold front axle to give me any advantage, triple locked, so as I don't think you guys got the 105 Series I'd be looking at (an even older) 80 Series. Depends on your intended use... hard core wheeling I'd stick to FJ, Overlanding lots of advantages of the bigger vehicle...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Kinda depends on what's your purpose for the vehicle.

If lots of off roading, I favor the FJ Cruiser because you are not as worried about a few scraps and scratches. The later will devalue the Land Cruiser more than the FJ, IMO - due to resale market for LC's favoring hard surfaced roads. Both the LC and FJ have about the same turning radius. Not being an expert, I feel maintenance cost for the LC are higher than the FJ.

If you are going to frequently have more than 2 people in the vehicle, than the LC is a better choice for passenger comfort. The FJ suicide doors are horrible in a parking stall.

Also, you should note that Toyota always built both in Japan, not assembled elsewhere.

During the last 42 years I have owned 5 capable off road Toyota's: 78 FJ40 (78-91), 91 Series 80 (91-99), 99 Series 100 (99-06, gave to my son who had it through 18), 07 FJ Cruiser (06-19), and 20 Tacoma TRD Off Road (19-to date). My favorite is the FJ Cruiser, then FJ40, then Series 80. The Series 100 was my least favorite due to its behemoth size, also the Series 80 had a solid front axle. The Series 80 and Series 100 were vehicles of choice because I had a growing family and needed the interior room.

I'm just learning to appreciate the Tacoma, which I purchased for the convenience of having a bed to haul things. Also, I like the 4 doors of the extended cab, which are no comparison to the inconvenience of the FJ suicide doors.

The 4.0 L engine in the FJ Cruiser is "bullet proof." I'm an old guy (73), so when I say it has plenty of reverse power, translate according to your age. In no way am I saying the LC V8 is not good. The 3.5 L engine of the Tacoma isn't as bad as some would have you believe. I think most reviewers want the power of a large V8, and expect to have their mid-sized truck perform like a V8 Mustang.

I kinda rambled a bit, but in the end you're the one who has to decide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all your views. When I was young I had an 83 FJ40 (yea I know). Then I had a 97 FJ80. I really miss that one. Then a 2006 Tundra. I sold the Tundra last year and got this FJ. All I can say is it’s different. But the more I read how happy people are the more motivated I am to keep it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I appreciate all your views. When I was young I had an 83 FJ40 (yea I know). Then I had a 97 FJ80. I really miss that one. Then a 2006 Tundra. I sold the Tundra last year and got this FJ. All I can say is it’s different. But the more I read how happy people are the more motivated I am to keep it.
You have had already some great Toyota off road vehicles. Whether to keep the FJ or 100, you should make the decision yourself. Don't let bunch of internet strangers influence you. If you post this question on Ih8mud 100 forum, you will get the opposite response as here.

Get what suits your needs, and what your heart tells you. Life is too short to drive something other people are happy with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What 100 series Cruiser are you looking at? I very much doubt you would find a LC petrol engine with nearly the same fuel economy of the FJ. The 100 series we got were either powered by the 4.7 V8 petrol (very heavy on fuel) or the 4.2 1HD-FTE turbo diesel, which is similar to the FJ in fuel consumption, maybe a bit lighter.
The 105 series had a 4.5 straight 6 1FZ-FE which is just as heavy on juice as the V8.
The FJ is quite a bit more economical than any full size Cruiser petrol engine.

Then it's down to space, do you need the space of the 100 series?

In general I would think that the FJ is a little simpler than the 100 series luxury barge, unless you are looking at the 105 series with solid front axles which makes it a bit less problematic and cheaper to maintain in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts