Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like everyone is getting real excited about ordering this car--I was at three dealerships today and they all mentioned that they can take $1000 deposits for this car for a Jan/Feb delivery. However, no pricing has been announced---There guess is the 2wd will start at $23000 and 4wd models w options will be in $27,000-$28,000 range---I am amazed that the pricing has not been released so people can make deposits. --They also mentioned these cars have to be ordered through a Toyota dealership vs online. I even had two dealers mention that they can charge a "addendum"--% over the MSRP--I hate to deal with dealers because you know they are going to try to milk everyone for this new release--it should be one price set by Toyota-No Games!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If you put a deposit in make sure you have it IN WRITING that they will not charge over the MSRP. As for toyota setting the price accross the board, expect to pay MSRP for this at least for the first couple months.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I was looking at both the 4-Runner and Sequia, both have been out for a couple years and are not the new hot thing. On both trucks the dealer was willing to come down 2 to 4K from sticker. I'm not sure how Scion's pricing works, is it a no haggle price or is it that the cars are in such demand that they will only let it go for sticker?

I think that once the FJ has been out for a little bit and once the preorders have been filled you will start to see wiggle room on price grow.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Does anyone here have experience with placing the deposits for the new release? The real question is, if we put down a deposit - are you screwed as far as what price they feel like charging you when it does come in, or do you still have some room for bargaining once it is time to do the deal?

I hate dealers, but I am going to have to have this truck - it absolutely rocks. I am kind of hoping they make a supercharger available for it as well. The concept version was outfitted with a supercharger - one for the production model would rock as well.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Percy,
See my above post. With any good dealer your deposit is fully refundable. As for being able to get the truck for less then MSRP when it is first launched, I wouldn't count on it. You will probably have to wait for while before they are willing to take less.

Not sure how a buying service factors into this, but I think the dealer has the choice to not accept your offer, united buyers service agreement or not. Might be worth checking into though.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Thanks for the tip granger... I will have to wait. I think my father-in-law and I are both going to try and buy one so we might be able to muscle a little leverage in trying to scoop up two of them. Seems most companies will jump a little bit higher to meet your desires when they know more money is involved. We will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The FJ is considered a bridge vehicle between Scion and Toyota. As we know Scion is a no-haggle MSRP pricing. Therefore, it will be offer at MSRP and never be discounted.

Two big changes in the automotive industry are the following:

1. No haggle or MSRP pricing. No one likes to find out someone else bought a car at a lower price because they're a better negotiator. Especially women.

2. Low volume production, which barely satisfies demand and supports #1.

The rules have changed! If you're not on the list and don't like paying MSRP, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I disagree that they FJ will always be haggle free. While this truck is a bridge between Scion and Toyota it is still a Toyota. Good luck trying to explain to a buyer that the 4 runner that is sitting next to the FJ can be reduced 4K but the FJ is MSRP just because.

I do agree that the market will eventually go to no haggle but that will have to be an all or nothing play. Toyota will have to make all of their fleet no haggle for it to work.

That being said, I am #1 and #3 on two dealer lists and fully expect to pay MSRP.

If your not on a list and you want one at launch expect to pay above MSRP.

Just my 2 cents,
Granger

Is it here yet?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought that Toyota said that when people see the pricing on the FJ, they would be pleasantly surprised. Im not pleasantly surprised. That is a little high. I mean, all they did was take parts off of other vehicles and put a new shell on. Thats what they did with my tC. I have IS 300 parts, Camry parts, Avensis parts....a conglomerate. The seats in the FJ are almost identical to the seats in the tC....especially the fabric. I dont know, maybe entering the car market for the first time with a Scion spoiled me but I was hoping for a much more affordable alternative. but that is also a relative statement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a $500 refundable deposits down and expect to pay $26-$28 for a nicely loaded example. #2 and #5 on the lists.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the fact is haggling will never go away, its an age old practice and a simple concept. you have competition, you dont like my conditions, im going to your competition, you're not getting paid....

whats great about scion (one of my cars is a tC :) ) is that it was a collaborative effort to eliminate the need for competition. the only way one dealer can convince you over another is with their dealer perks (car washes, customer service, etc...)
and all dealers make the same amount also so toyota has a great concept but only becuase its a separate line of cars. people are used to haggling on toyota, but scion is a whole new concept so it makes sense

1 - 12 of 12 Posts