Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my FJ in for several repairs at the dealership. While the truck was in the lift, the mechanic called me over (I happened to be nearby and had previously talked to the mechanic about needed repairs). He pointed out several areas of "concern" with high rust. My truck is a 2007, 144K miles, well maintained, washed/waxed often and garaged. The amount of rust was astonishing, the mechanic said that the truck may not be safe as it was new because the frame is rusted through in many spots. I contacted Toyota and filed a complaint. They stated that the truck is out of warranty and when they called the dealership, they denied that they had found the extensive rust, everyone pretty much washed their hands on the issue. After doing some research, I found other FJ owners with a similar problem, some with much worse than mine (while being newer). In case you are facing the same problem, I suggest to join the Facebook Group: FJ Cruiser Rusted Frame Owners Unite, and follow the directions on filing a complaint with the NHTSA and Toyota. We have over 600 members and growing. Unfortunately, I do not have faith on the safety of the vehicle anymore so within a year, I will have to sell it. After 11 years of ownership, I never thought the rust would be an issue to this extent.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,270 Posts
There are lots of posts about corrosion and another member cited the same group. The general consusus here is rust is no more an issue with FJs than other brands and models and is 100% dependent on the area in which you live and how well protected/treated the frame etc is against the actions of salt and water.

l’m sorry you have an issue and feel your FJ is unsafe for you to drive, but not for someone else to do when you sell it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.