Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
1,373 Posts
When I bought my 07 (new) I had no idea of the upkeep this frame would be. I'm guilty, the first few years I owned it the only thing that probably "partially" saved my rear was car washes that I used often that did underside when you went through and all I was there for was the wax and shine back then, I didn't realize the preventive things I should be doing. I had heard of Zeibart, but always heard you would just increase your chance of rust sealing it up with their rubber. I didn't know about oils and stuff like fluid film.

I didn't for a second think 2 years, 3 years in I should be getting under it with rust converters etc. My other cars I had owned, and I do say cars meaning unibody, I never ever noticed anything to scare me when they were up on racks. So it didn't click when I got the FJ. Maybe the FJ had a high amount of "1st time truck buyers", could be, it was a funky looking thing that drew me to it from my Scion TC. Maybe that small piece of data would tie some of this mess together on who has the most trouble. - Then again I also see people abuse the **** out of them and never clean them at all.

My wake up was about 2012/2013, getting more on this forum and Facebook back then I really started to pay attention. Since then I have had to dedicate at least 2 weekend a year to serious underside work. The last 2 years, that became two weekends, and a few hours in between those weekends. Almost quarterly. I honestly did not have the time, talent, $$$ or resources to do a full strip and meticulous work over with POR15 like some has done.

I don't think there is any harm in getting data, collecting info and such. There are some camps that strongly feel other frames from other vendors don't fail as quickly, maintained or not as a Toyota frame. Do I personally think Toyota will fight this? Yes. Do I think at this very moment Toyota even sees the FJ as a blip on a radar for owners organizing over this? Probably not. However if they were watching I wouldn't want them thinking "we got this crowd" and blow off perhaps real safety issues.

I'll just people watch from here :) :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fluid Film is good stuff, but unless you are using the extension hose to go inside the frame and other areas its likely still a losing battle.

I do the same thing with the cans, but I have an adapter hose for the cans with a inflation needle that shoots the film out both side holes. I sure hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been a four wheeler for over 45 years. Best thing I found was to clean and convert rust, then apply zinc chromate primer on all welds, joints and bare metals, next apply rustoleum primer, and finally a rubberized undercoating. Never apply the undercoating to bare metal as rust can build up under the undercoating, it's more to deaden sound and prevent chipping.

The zinc chromate primer is no longer available at auto suppliers, (anything that last gets banned) but is available as an aviation product and can be ordered online. It slows or prevents electrolic action.

Spray the z-c inside doors then spray with a wax or cosmoline coating after removing the drain plugs and making sure the inside is dry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am coming out of semi-retirement to say this is a stupid thread to show up in the "trending posts" email I get each week. Toyota pickup frame failure was directly linked to a particular subcontracted frame manufacturer in the US that failed to build the frames to the manufacturer specs. Because your FJ was built in Japan, there's zero chance that you are experiencing this problem, and are either the subject of extreme negligence in basic automotive care, or are looking to ride the coattails of a legitimate known problem exhibited in a specific market comodity for personal gain. Best to close the facebook group, cease posting to this thread, and sell your (probably minorly surface rusted) FJ to someone who cares enough to clean it up and give it the attention it deserves, then go disappear for a while until people have forgotten about the time they wasted reading three pages of this nonsense.

My '07 looks awesome after 12 years of new england winters, btw, so... not sure WHAT you or your friend have been doing.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Points made.

Thread closed.

Thread will remain... links will still be there for people who wish to follow up with the OP.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.