Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry, the 285/75R17 will need a body mount chop, but other than that they will fit. If you're dead set against the chop, then 285/70R17 is the biggest you should go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Soooo many things to consider. If I understand correctly, I can run 285/70/17's on my stock FJ rims,without a body mount chop? (I do have a 3" pro comp lift). I wont have any rubbing when off roading?

Now, if I want to add 1.25" spacers, will that size tire rub the body mount when trail riding?

I do not want to do the body mount chop if I dont have to, but I would like to widen my stance a little while keeping my stock FJ rims.

Does the 265/70/17 tires rub the body mount with 1.25" spacers?

Thanks for the great wheel/tire fitment guide!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Soooo many things to consider. If I understand correctly, I can run 285/70/17's on my stock FJ rims,without a body mount chop? (I do have a 3" pro comp lift). I wont have any rubbing when off roading?

Now, if I want to add 1.25" spacers, will that size tire rub the body mount when trail riding?

I do not want to do the body mount chop if I dont have to, but I would like to widen my stance a little while keeping my stock FJ rims.

Does the 265/70/17 tires rub the body mount with 1.25" spacers?

Thanks for the great wheel/tire fitment guide!
I also have the 265/70 Dick Cepek Mud Countrys with 1.25 Allpro spacers and take it offroad often. No problems whatsoever. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
My FJ is stock and I am currently running BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A LT 2555/75R17 and they will soon need replacing. I have a roof top tent and the main use of my FJ is for camping and photography. We camp on the beach, off road, as well as at National Park and US Forest campgrounds. I want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. The only crawling that I do is out of bed.
I am looking for biggest tire and the best overall tire for my needs. I am also looking for something a little quieter., Between the tire noise and cranking up the radio to overcome the tire noise, traveling on the interstates just to get our destination can be deafening. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Great reading this again. I'm thinking of getting new wheels with 5" backspace in place of what I have with the 4.5". It cleared a few questions up for me - again!

One more big thank you for posting this up. Really great info! :clap:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If I bought 305's I'd try to get a 17x9 with 5" backspace 13mm offset or as close as possible. Body mount chop is a for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
^just wondering what "slight rubbing" exactly was. Was it only hitting the body mount cover or would it actually contact the steel body mount itself. You're combo sits out about 1/2" further than a 285 on a stock wheel would as well. Thanks for any and all input guys.
Chris
Before the BMC, when I had the steering wheel fully turned in either direction, the inside rear of my tires would rub on that portion of the body which gets whacked off in the BMC - that unnecessary extension. Trimmed it back and now I have no rub during that same full turn.

I'm about to change wheels to a 5" backspace with 0 offset. If I have any problem (I'm not expecting one), I'll adjust my Light Racing UCA's a tad.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Chris, now that I'm in BMC, new shoes, lift mode... This is awesome info. Thank you very much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Re: FJ Cruiser Specific 16"17" Wheel/Tire Fitment Guide

"Now i want to look at the 295/75R17 Nitto Trail Grappler [/B]which has become famous on this forum because of it's seemingly stock fitting ability.

It's a great tire that measures 33.54" diameter x11.97" section width.

so stock 17x7.5 wheel again
11.97-8.5=3.47 divide in half =
1.735" bulge on your wheel

and it's still short enough that it doesn't come into contact right where the arrow's pointed at with the UCA(thanks willaim99740)"

So does this mean I can run 295/75R17 Nittos on my stock FJ wheels without any kind of lift?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So does this mean I can run 295/75R17 Nittos on my stock FJ wheels without any kind of lift?
I think a leveling kit at minumum to fit those, but otherwise they fit on the stock wheels and don't rub the stock UCA's or the body mount for most people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, I swear I've read the OP 10 times and through the thread completely at least twice... I'm still guessing.

I currently have the OME 2.5" lift and bushwhacker fender flares installed.

If the 16" Wheeler's Off Road steel wheels were in stock, I'd be done. They aren't.

I'm balancing a few things:

1. I need a black wheel/tire combo that I can get mounted within the next 2 weeks (cross country road trip coming up).

2. I want to fill the space I've just created with the fender flares and lift.

Finding black steel wheels that definitely FIT and are really available has been an issue.

I'm open to suggestions! THANKS.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I'm trying to be budget conscious and do things a little at a time. Here is my plan - please tell me if I am on target:

I have 16 stock wheels and the off road package so I have the bilsteins. I don't want to lift until I can afford to do it right (icon/sway away/king) which means it will be a long while to be able to do tires/wheels and lift together.

So...285/75/16 on my stock wheels (either trail graps or toyo open ctry mt) with no lift but a BMC should do me just fine right?

Worst case is adjust caster forward and possibly put on spacers?

Eventually I will do aftermarket wheels and of course a lift.

My priorities are sliders, tires (in large part due to tread wear left on the stock ATs at 37k miles), skids/armor then lift and last wheels. Thoughts??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a heavy aircraft mechanic, and constantly delving into maintenance manuals and the illustrated parts catalogues, you generally have no leeway as to how a problem is addressed. As a professional mechanic and someone who has been in aviation for the nigh side of 30 years, your explanation of wheel dimensions, tires, and fitment issues, has raised you from plebocite 4X4 quasi hack dirt agitator, to a kindred spirit of the machine and one worthy of honorable mention and high praise! Because of you my wife is now filing divorce papers as I just dropped $3000 dollars on some sriously badass wheels and tires. (again, my congratulations on the divorce thingy, truly a stroke of genius!) I just installed a 3" OME set up on my 2007 FJ along with other tasty suspension goodies. Camburg stuff, Man-A-Fre stuff, ARB expensive stuff, All-Pro Offroad stuff, the ususal leap into the unknown and irrationally expensive. That part was easy, its the WHEELS AND TIRES that were causing me the loss of sleep. I have actually printed and posted your dissertation on our wall of fame at work as there are several other dirt agitators here who lie like beaten dogs about their 4X4 powess! Remind me to tell you about one drunken dirtfest up Fordyce Creek California where we winched our buddies jeep scambler 60 feet into a Douglas Fir, he still is seeking psychiatric help because of the horror! There are pictures! Again, thank you for taking the time to educate and refresh the most basic and important part of the 4-wheelers rig, his tires and wheels.

Regards,
J. Mucka Fignotti

·
Registered
235 Posts
As a heavy aircraft mechanic, and constantly delving into maintenance manuals and the illustrated parts catalogues, you generally have no leeway as to how a problem is addressed. As a professional mechanic and someone who has been in aviation for the nigh side of 30 years, your explanation of wheel dimensions, tires, and fitment issues, has raised you from plebocite 4X4 quasi hack dirt agitator, to a kindred spirit of the machine and one worthy of honorable mention and high praise! Because of you my wife is now filing divorce papers as I just dropped $3000 dollars on some sriously badass wheels and tires. (again, my congratulations on the divorce thingy, truly a stroke of genius!) I just installed a 3" OME set up on my 2007 FJ along with other tasty suspension goodies. Camburg stuff, Man-A-Fre stuff, ARB expensive stuff, All-Pro Offroad stuff, the ususal leap into the unknown and irrationally expensive. That part was easy, its the WHEELS AND TIRES that were causing me the loss of sleep. I have actually printed and posted your dissertation on our wall of fame at work as there are several other dirt agitators here who lie like beaten dogs about their 4X4 powess! Remind me to tell you about one drunken dirtfest up Fordyce Creek California where we winched our buddies jeep scambler 60 feet into a Douglas Fir, he still is seeking psychiatric help because of the horror! There are pictures! Again, thank you for taking the time to educate and refresh the most basic and important part of the 4-wheelers rig, his tires and wheels.

Regards,
J. Mucka Fignotti
Sorry to read about your divorce but congratulations for all those modifications you managed to pull off. Post pics of your rig when it's complete and of your soon to be ex-wife. JK on the wife :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
So as I understand it I can can place 305/70/16 on my stock aluminum 16" wheels (not TRD) wheels. Now that being said a possible rubbing issue is expected. Is there any risk when wheeling with a wider tire mounted to not so wide wheel? I have 285/75/16 km2's which are great but let's be honest there is image and stance to consider, and my brother in law won't shut up about it.

41 - 60 of 336 Posts