Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the step assist attachments for the OEM rock rails? I am debating whether to purchase these or sell the OEM rock rails and fork out 500 clams for the some man-a-fre's or bentups. I want something I can stand on to get to the roof rack, don't stick out too far, and provide good protection. The step assist attch's look like shin killers (door killers for any idiot who tries to whack my doors). They look like they can easily be removed if needed as well.

Thoughts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Re: Fj Cruiser Step Assist For Rock Rails

You can get Trail Gear sliders for $299
X2. Great as steps and you won't have to mess with bolts if you want to run them on rocks.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't you just stand on the door sills? That what I did when I had a roof rack.
You can, and I do, but it can be a pain taking bikes and crap down when you are that close to the roof. It would also be easier to wash the roof without opening the doors... nuff said.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The metal-tech slider is flat. I added the 3M Safety Walk pad and my wife can use it as a step.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am leaning more towards the step assist. The other sliders look like they lack grip and would be "fun" when wet. I also don't want to deal with trying to sell my old rails and removing/installing new ones.:spam:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have Budbuilts...and you can stand on them or jack up the FJ with High-Lift....never hit my shins but have skinned the back of my calves on the 3M tape I have on them for slip proofing them. :) Less than $400 shipped if I remember right.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you decide to get new rock rails Id be interested in buying your OEM ones (I actually just need the drivers side one but Ill take both)

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I'm looking at the installation pdf of the factory rock rails step assist and I think I can adopt it to my metal-tech sliders with simple L brackets. I ordered a set from Putnam Toyota eBay Motors: 07 08 Toyota FJ Cruiser Step Assist for Rock Rails 2007 (item 170223187833 end time Jun-06-08 07:27:50 PDT) for 112.99 shipped. I got it today.

Test fitting for now, need to make some adjustments and will finish the installation tomorrow. The final ground clearance will be about 10".

Wife will be happy because she missed the convenience of the running board.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Looks good but now you have to remove a lot more hardware to use your MT sliders.

I take mine on and off every weekend and it is pretty quick when used on the OEM slider.
Thanks.

I should be able to remove the step assist pretty quick also. I'll drill holes on the MT sliders and will be tapped to accommodate the 8mm x 1.25 pitch bolts that I'll use to secure the L brackets.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts