Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am looking at purchasing an FJ. Tons of people think that I am crazy to buy the FJ and not a Rubicon. What mods do I have to make to keep the FJ competitive with a Rubicon? I have always been a Toyota guy because of their reliability. Will a FJ wheel as well as a Rubicon in the rocks? How is the re-sale value compared between the two? I appreciate any insight that you can give to me.

Thanks,

FJ Boy

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
1. Going from a stock FJ to an FJ that can compete with a stock rubicon - quite a bit of $$$ (suspension upgrades, transfer case, etc.)

2. Probably not and definitely not if you are comparing stock model to stock model without any upgrades.

3. Resale on the FJ seems good. Not sure on the jeep.

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
I would tell your friends that you would be crazy to buy a jeep with a minivan motor in it. I Think off road the Rubi is going to be a little better out of the box but in the long run it will cost a lot more in Maintenance and reliability. The FJ is a much better ride for a day to day driver. You are on the FJ forum so this is the type of response you are going to get here.

·
Registered
477 Posts
:wave:Boy, I noticed you already posted this in another section. This subject has been discussed numerous times. Please use the 'search' function to discover multiple threads and dozens of posts related to this topic. As I also mentioned to you in the other section, for the Rubicon point of view, go to JeepForum.com and use their 'search' function.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked at both, and spoke with a lot of people, and decided I wasn't enough of a mechanic to drive a Jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I bought the FJ over the Jeep Rubicon 4 door and the Nissan Xterra. If I could do it again, I'd buy a 4Runner.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am looking at purchasing an FJ. Tons of people think that I am crazy to buy the FJ and not a Rubicon. What mods do I have to make to keep the FJ competitive with a Rubicon? I have always been a Toyota guy because of their reliability. Will a FJ wheel as well as a Rubicon in the rocks? How is the re-sale value compared between the two? I appreciate any insight that you can give to me.

Thanks,

FJ Boy
My wife's Rubicon is a beast off road and it is stock. For the last two years we have been to CO to go wheeeling. Took the FJ two years ago and the Rubi last year. Hands down the Rubicon is my choice off road but I do love my FJ. But it is all a personal choice so go for what yu want and not what your friends think or all of us here. Just make sure you have fun when you make your decision. Life is too short not to have fun.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If you are using this purchase as your primary transportation and will ocassionally wheel offroad, then the nod has to go to the FJ. In my opinion, for a 4x4 it cannot be beat for reliability, on highway stability, and comfort. Out of the box, the Rubi will have features that will favor rougher terrain over the FJ, but if you wheel on old mining trails the FJ will get you there and back.

My FJ is stock except for rock rails and I've been over Black Bear, Mosquito, Imogene, Stony, Engineer, Cinnamon, Hagerman, Tincup, Corkscrew, Hayden, and numerous less difficult. For the trails I enjoy (no serious rock climbing for me), the FJ Cruiser is everything I could want. I owned Landcruiser's continously since 1978 (FJ 40 from 1978 thru 1991, Series 80 from 1991 thru 1998, Series 100 from 1998 thru 2008, and the FJ Cruiser since Oct 2006).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought the FJ over the Jeep Rubicon 4 door and the Nissan Xterra. If I could do it again, I'd buy a 4Runner.
I've owned a 95 FZJ80 and had it for 70K miles (25K-95K Miles) Loved it the most of all my Toyota's/Lexus. Also owned a 99 Landcruiser, a 2004 LX470, a 2005 Toyota 4runner and now a 2010 FJ Cruiser. I love the FJ but wish Toyota still made the FZJ80's. I would not want a Jeep just because of the build quality and cost to keep on the road.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Simple. For an FJ to keep up with a stock Rubicon you need to add a front locker.
Simple. For a Rubicon to keep up with a stock FJ* you need to add a new engine.

*if considering a driver who puts most of his/her miles on driving dirt roads and pavement.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Put the extra $8000 you spend on the rubicon into the FJ then do another article
You aren't kidding. I went on-line and built a 4dr. Rubi, with automatic, tow, dual top, etc.. It was over $37,000 without Nav. Nav is another $1800+, but you get Sirius.:bandit:

·
Registered
729 Posts
the resale value suck on the rubi in comparison to the fj.....like said out the book off road get the heep but will it get ya home at the end of the day ......my fj never left me stuck, broke down....but have helped alot of jeep owners of the trail.Dollar for dollar it depends on what your main goal with the truck is.....looked at the jeep but went with the fj.Now that being said let see what ther new engine combo holds up like but id give it a year or 2 to see what gremlins poke there head.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Simple. For an FJ to keep up with a stock Rubicon you need to add a front locker.
Only on that 1% of trails on which you need a front locker.

For example, you can do all the trails in and around the Ouray, CO area without any locker, front or rear, if you know how to drive off-road.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts