Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
And...

As far as repair records go, no one knows how the FJ will hold up. Odds are if it follows the Toyota pattern, it will do quite well. Every Toyota I have had was excellent. The average car buyer keeps their car 8 years. In 8 years there will be way too many FJ's to make it either cool to own or an investment.

The Xtrerras over the past 2 years have been solid. Personally I don't like their styling, but their price is great and Nissan is an up and coming car company.

Just look at what you need and think with your bank account.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok thank you i also prefer the stylings of the FJ i am just looking foward to seeing how they do once there out and being put through some wear and tear

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i remember when the xterra first came out around 2000, i was super stoaked that somebody besides Heep was building a new 4x4 i could see myself driving. Then i got to play with one at an autoshow and later at a dealer, and i decided i didnt want one. it just seemed pretty cheaply put together, i thought i might break off the heater knobs, for example. the newer ones are better, i havent had a chance to play with a 2nd gen yet, but on paper they look really good, i would definately consider one, even being a diehard toyota guy. definately want to test drive one first, though.

off road, who knows. im positive the FJC will do well as i have a bit of experience wheeling toyotas, the X, im not sure. its got good power, good gearing, and the available locker so it should account its self pretty well. personally im considering just forgoeing the new car all together and getting an FZJ80 with the factory lockers f/r; but im not really into buying new cars either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A couple of thoughts. One, I just got a bid on an '06 Xterra Off Road (locking diff, abs/stability control) for 24K (2K under invoice; almost 4K under MSRP). Motor Trend picked the Xterra as SUV of the year against some pretty stiff competition. So when I hear the local Toy dealer spouting BS about $1995 over MSRP, I buy the Xterra.

Secondly, Toy doesn't have a sterling rep regarding new vehicle intros. They do have a rep of fixing the problems with successive models.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
mtbiker said:
A couple of thoughts. One, I just got a bid on an '06 Xterra Off Road (locking diff, abs/stability control) for 24K (2K under invoice; almost 4K under MSRP). Motor Trend picked the Xterra as SUV of the year against some pretty stiff competition. So when I hear the local Toy dealer spouting BS about $1995 over MSRP, I buy the Xterra.

Secondly, Toy doesn't have a sterling rep regarding new vehicle intros. They do have a rep of fixing the problems with successive models.
You should be able to get a FJ at MSRP but every day the waiting list grows. xterra is a much better truck then when it was first introduced. It does not really look like it though it has been redesigned from the tires up, The only issue I have with it and other Nissans is the cheaper plastics they use for the interior. They look good but dont wear well.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have had tons of friends with nissans and almost all of them had to replace the transmission at about 60K. Just a thought. I think the only replacement part I had in my Toyota was a fuel filter and a battery.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A guy I know had a Nissan truck, an 86 I think. It caught on fire, but he managed to save it somehow. He wasn't so lucky a month later when it caught no fire again. He loved that truck but even he admitted it was more trouble than it was worth.

I have never seen a Nissan stand up to a lot of abuse like I have other trucks. I've got a neighbor who has got an early eighties Toyota pickup that refuses to die. The bed has rusted completely through, but that was because he decided to get a load of salt for some reason one winter and he didn't wash out the bed afterwords (at least thats what he claims, I dunno). but he has daily driven it since he got it which is pretty impressive in my book. If I was him I would just take the bed off and make some sort of wooden stake body or something, it would be good as new.

Those are just two isolated examples, but they pretty much coincide with what I have seen over the years.

Newer Nissans seem to be a lot better and I am genuinely impressed with the Titan, Frontier, and Xterra, but I'm still not so sure about their durability. I don't think mechanical reliability will be an issue, but I'm not so sure that it will stand up to a lot of abuse over the years. Most SUVs these days don't take a lot of abuse because people just buy them as fashion statements, and I worry that manufacturers don't ensure long term durability as much anymore. they sacrifice ruggedness and durability to make SUVs civil mannered on the road. Even picups have gone soft in many ways. Just look at the Lincoln Mark LT. There are a few exceptions to this trend: the Wrangler, Power Wagen, and The FJ Cruiser probably will be seing as it is targeted right at enthusiasts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, well no one is sure about the FJ's durability either. You have 4 years to find that out.

Xterra has a track record. Xterra is cheaper. And just like the post below, most people will be using their FJ for everyday driving (pavement). That tells me that most people could get away with a Kia Sportage or Ford Escape.

The plain fact is that some people like the cool factor of having this new FJ. They also like Toyota's rep. I agree with the rep, but I disagree buying on cool factor points.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
mpd8488 said:
A guy I know had a Nissan truck, an 86 I think. It caught on fire, but he managed to save it somehow. He wasn't so lucky a month later when it caught no fire again. He loved that truck but even he admitted it was more trouble than it was worth.

I have never seen a Nissan stand up to a lot of abuse like I have other trucks. I've got a neighbor who has got an early eighties Toyota pickup that refuses to die.
One of my best friends had an old '90 Pathfinder. The thing WOULD NOT die..and he did not take care of it. Hardly any oil changes, etc..and still had 270K miles when he got rid of it and it was still running fine. My parents have a 95 Pathfinder with 190K miles and it still runs perfectly. They just picked up an '05 Titan w/ offroad package(the thing is HUGE). These are very nice trucks that last a very long time...even the old ones.

·
Registered
228 Posts
DocAltie said:
That tells me that most people could get away with a Kia Sportage or Ford Escape.

WOW WOW WOW...I'm never reading another post by you again. Period. I don't care if you have news that they just landed a brand new FJ in my garage. I'm not going to read it...I see your name...I'm skipping to the next post. Congratulations...please come up to accept your award...

·
Registered
132 Posts
DocAltie is right, the majority of people who will buy the FJ cruiser will never put it on a trail. A few more will use it for going to the beach, skiing, snow, etc, but lets be honest, many people who drive SUVs who will never even put it in four wheel drive ever. Most people who drive smaller SUVs don't need anything more than a subaru.

It doesn't bother me, you can drive what you want, but the truth of the matter is that less than ten percent of SUVs will ever go off road.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mpd8488 said:
DocAltie is right, the majority of people who will buy the FJ cruiser will never put it on a trail. A few more will use it for going to the beach, skiing, snow, etc, but lets be honest, many people who drive SUVs who will never even put it in four wheel drive ever. Most people who drive smaller SUVs don't need anything more than a subaru.

It doesn't bother me, you can drive what you want, but the truth of the matter is that less than ten percent of SUVs will ever go off road.

This is sad but true.
Jeep owners are statistically more likely to use their vehicles offroad than any other brand, but its still something like 35%.

Like a Ferrari that never breaks the speed limit, so sad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The FJ Cruiser will likely have a similar percentage of people who take them off road compared to the Jeep. Toyota won't even be advertising it to the general public, just to 4x4 enthusiasts, so it will probably have far fewer soccer moms and poseurs buying them.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Call me poseur,.....oh yeah, make that poseur thats had the test drive. ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
EJR said:
Call me poseur,.....oh yeah, make that poseur thats had the test drive. ;)
Ewwww BURN! None of us have ANYTHING on that one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the new style (2005+) Xterra have aftermarket support for items like lift kits and other offroad goodies? Given that the FJ at Sema had Donhoes I expect it will have offroad aftermarket support quickly.

I'd hate to be driving a vehicle I couldn't modify much from stock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Matt151B said:
Does the new style (2005+) Xterra have aftermarket support for items like lift kits and other offroad goodies? Given that the FJ at Sema had Donhoes I expect it will have offroad aftermarket support quickly.

I'd hate to be driving a vehicle I couldn't modify much from stock.
I am sure they will be (if not already) available for the new xterra. But I am also sure you will have more brands to choose from for the fj ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would say your "friend" does not know what he is talking about. Underengineered is a GOOD thing! You show me one car on the road after 15 years that is truly used.

mpd8488 said:
I have a good friend and truck mechanic who will buy any trucks (he has dozens of trucks and SUVs) except for Nissans. He thinks they are undereingineered and don't hold up. He knows what he is talking about, and I tend to agree after seeing many of my friends who have had nissans and seeing them break down and fall apart in less than fifteen years. I have seen some rust out worse than a lot of old Toyota and Ford trucks.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts