Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello y’all,

I just purchased this FJ from Florida dealership. It comes with 85k miles and only one owner. It has scratches here and there, but it’s expected for 2008 vehicle. My only concern with it is rust (see the pictures below)

are you guys getting the same rust pattern ? Especially on the Differential?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, I'd say that it is rusting in all the usual spots and the rear diff can get like that. Usually up here in the rust belt.
That's more rust than I would've expected for a Florida FJ (and my my FJ is a former FL FJ), my guess is that the 1st owner had in/near the water.
If you get after it, you can probably slow the rust down. Big question would be the insides of the frame.
Clean up the rust, paint, use a rust preventative, and enjoy your FJ !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'd say that it is rusting in all the usual spots and the rear diff can get like that. Usually up here in the rust belt.
That's more rust than I would've expected for a Florida FJ (and my my FJ is a former FL FJ), my guess is that the 1st owner had in/near the water.
If you get after it, you can probably slow the rust down. Big question would be the insides of the frame.
Clean up the rust, paint, use a rust preventative, and enjoy your FJ !
That’s the plan. I just need to figure out where to do that for a good price out here in NY.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have the time and energy you can do it yourself. My frame maintenance regime in the summer consist of washing it let dry, degrease . Wire wheel the frame and use hand brush for those hard to reach areas . I then apply Ospho rust neutralizer let dry and then apply again.( FYI use googles and gloves it stings if it gets on your skin).

I like Eastwood chassis primer paint again 2 coats, then Eastwood black chassis paint again 2 coats.I swear by Amsoil heavy duty metal protector 2 coats.On this inside frame I would use Ospho I took the original bottle and poured into a container with a Manuel spray. Eastwood makes an internal frame protector highly recommended. I find after 8 years of ownership I'm doing less frame maintenance . My .02

Take your time preparation is 98% of the work. Rust Never Sleeps Neil Young.
If you want to see some bad FJ frames look in Facebook there are an actual group

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I gotta say somebody had been playing in the salt water. All the spots are in the normal places but I think it's pretty intense for FL. I live in NY so I know the fight. Get after it NOW.
It's going to take some work cleaning it up and then keep after it with Fluid film or Wool Wax, don't forget the insides of the frame rails. I really like the Wool Wax, much thicker then FF.
Don't let it ruin your day thinking about it, just start with the love! Lots of elbow grease.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have the time and energy you can do it yourself. My frame maintenance regime in the summer consist of washing it let dry, degrease . Wire wheel the frame and use hand brush for those hard to reach areas . I then apply Ospho rust neutralizer let dry and then apply again.( FYI use googles and gloves it stings if it gets on your skin).

I like Eastwood chassis primer paint again 2 coats, then Eastwood black chassis paint again 2 coats.I swear by Amsoil heavy duty metal protector 2 coats.On this inside frame I would use Ospho I took the original bottle and poured into a container with a Manuel spray. Eastwood makes an internal frame protector highly recommended. I find after 8 years of ownership I'm doing less frame maintenance . My .02

Take your time preparation is 98% of the work. Rust Never Sleeps Neil Young.
If you want to see some bad FJ frames look in Facebook there are an actual group
[/QUOTE
I agree in general with this post, although I don’t work quite so hard. I half heartedly use a drill powered wire wheel to clean parts. After I spray it with Permatex Rust Treatment, which goes on thick and stays on. I just spray it on everything that shows rust except the exhaust, even where I couldn’t clean the area. It’s worked so far. I live in eastern Washington state and my problem is liquid Ice melt. Highway crews use it liberally and every time I go to the ski resort (okay, every couple of times) I pressure wash my underside.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello y’all,

I just purchased this FJ from Florida dealership. It comes with 85k miles and only one owner. It has scratches here and there, but it’s expected for 2008 vehicle. My only concern with it is rust (see the pictures below)

View attachment 1130841 View attachment 1130842 View attachment 1130843 View attachment 1130844 View attachment 1130845 View attachment 1130846 View attachment 1130847 View attachment 1130848
Looks not too horrible but my 2010 just has some slight surface. What I started doing bis remove the armor in the later fall as and spray c lean with water jet, dry and spray fluid film every part and inside the frame holes. I got an official ff gun and wands. Who need armor in winter in Colorado? Gentle spray offs as necessary during winter. Then come spring I spray off , dry , spray ff again, and re install armor.
No more rust creep. Ha ha

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
49 Posts
hello y’all,

View attachment 1130841 View attachment 1130842 View attachment 1130843 View attachment 1130844 View attachment 1130845 View attachment 1130846 View attachment 1130847 View attachment 1130848
From picture look like Northern States car.For many years auto industries do this tricks to keep cars moving.
Have same issues with my 2007 FJ and used RustBulet grey and top with Serllac black.(ware gloves ) otherwise paint will stay on your hands for weeks.
Preview used Por15 on my classic car and like much better RustBulit after one year.
Wait about 1-2 weeks then apply FluidFilm inside frame and out all parts recently paint.
Ready have 12 mouths and looks like my work done helps to protect form rust.
This is other option to protect frame and parts from rusting.
Possible see yourself results after one year if living in NYC.Must be near my work or home meeting.
Myself didn't go to paint shops because they used cheaper paint and don't want to waste my time and money. No offense. Ck prices on Amazon. Gray-RustBulit and Blackshell -RustBulit .One gallon each.
After painting my frame and components need anual State insp. and Mechanic asking questions about frame issues and fresh paint.
Told him to ck the car and do his job without any damage to my car.
Then come with a paper my car have a recol. Told him my car is not TRD model and doesn't have recol on front brakes. Plus I told him my front calipers are new from Toyota and have one year warranty.
Didn't complain to State but told the mechanic.
I'm class A driver with mechanic license in Europe and constantly update my skills to keep up new technology
This is other reason don't like someone else work on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts