Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the FJ Cruiser and its time for a new-ish 4x4.

Your all going to hate me but I hadn't considered one before because I thought they were more SUV than 4x4.............. Mercy

I was just wondering where the running gear was taken from.

Are they a serious off road 4x4 or a bit softer that the hard core production versions.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The answer is the Land Cruiser Prado (sold in the US as a Lexus GX, it is the short wheelbase version of the Land Cruiser).

The 4-Runner also used the same chassis/suspension parts, but the wheelbase was different.

Regarding whether it is a serious 4x4, a stock FJ ran the rubicon trail and the only thing they changed to prepare for that was the tires (nice write up in the 2010 FJC magazine).

(oops, Baz and I answered at the same time!)

·
Premium Member
16,344 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,070 Posts
Welcome.

The info is already given but spend a little time browsing the topics and build threads on this forum and you'll soon find the answer for yourself, nothing SUV or 'soft roader about the FJ, in fact although it was built on the underpinnings of the 120/150 Land Cruisers it was developed to be better off-road that its 'donor' by having less overhangs, less height and more body clearance. It was designed for the trails whilst retaining its road manners.

·
Desert Moderator
5,610 Posts
Put it this way - It is the longest running discontinued vehicle ever.
Officially discontinued in 2014, but still being built for & sold in the Middle East & Africa. I think that basically says it all.
Softroaders (& Jeeps) don't survive out here. The heat, the dust, the terrain kills them all. Only Toyotas survive.
In order for a Toyota to survive requires only routine maintainance - no extra lift, no fancy wheels, no BS. The hardest working vehicles have virtually no mods apart from an occasional heavy machine gun or rocket launcher mounted on the back. HiLux/Fortuner, Landcruiser (70 & 200), Prado (LC150), and FJs rule supreme when the going gets tough.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Welcome

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
Put it this way - It is the longest running discontinued vehicle ever.
Officially discontinued in 2014, but still being built for & sold in the Middle East & Africa. I think that basically says it all.
Softroaders (& Jeeps) don't survive out here. The heat, the dust, the terrain kills them all. Only Toyotas survive.
In order for a Toyota to survive requires only routine maintainance - no extra lift, no fancy wheels, no BS. The hardest working vehicles have virtually no mods apart from an occasional heavy machine gun or rocket launcher mounted on the back. HiLux/Fortuner, Landcruiser (70 & 200), Prado (LC150), and FJs rule supreme when the going gets tough.
Very true. Always see Toyotas in the news footage from Middle East, and I’ve heard Toyota referred to as “the terorists choice” vehicle...not something I’d brag about but a testament to toughness and reliability. I’m gonna borrow that term Softroaders, great new vocabulary word :grin

·
Desert Moderator
5,610 Posts
Very true. Always see Toyotas in the news footage from Middle East, and I’ve heard Toyota referred to as “the terorists choice” vehicle...not something I’d brag about but a testament to toughness and reliability. I’m gonna borrow that term Softroaders, great new vocabulary word :grin
Not just the terrorists choice. UKSF drive modified LC70s which replaced the old Land Rover pink panthers. https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/08/british-special-forces-isis-syria-al-thalab/?guccounter=1

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/althalab/

The key with the Al Thalab is that it uses stock parts. That says two things - it can be repaired in the field using readily available parts (new or scavenged) and that Toyota OEM parts are solid - no need to use modified parts.

Let's not forget the Landcruiser's heritage - it was originally designed as a military vehicle for the US. Yes, the J in FJ (unofficially) stands for Jeep. That heritage of simplicity & toughness is alive and strong in all Toyotas in the Landcruiser family (which includes the FJ).

Landcruisers don't have the latest comfort features and plush interiors, but one could argue that reliability and longevity is a luxury feature (I'd rather have hard plastic in the interior and a small/no LCD than be broken down / immobile because some crappy component broke when I needed it most).

You can't say the same for any other manufacturer. It's that simple.

Also - Did you know what the most popular wheeled vehicle is in Antarctica is? You guessed it - HiLux. Have a look at arctictrucks.com as another Toyota modder

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,070 Posts
Yep, when I bought my Land Cruiser 70 and was sponsored by a Toyota dealership I asked them when the special edition Hilux was coming out... he looked puzzled... I said "you know the one with the missile launcher in the bed"...

Softroader sums up perfectly, the other phrase we use here is 'Chelsea tractor' for the Range Rover (and other) drivers in London and elsewhere who just pose and barge around in their big cars...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts