Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing I love most about the design of the 4Runner is the trunk door with that power window! :clap: That thing is just amazing and why all SUV's and trucks just do not come pre-installed with them is beyond me. It's almost a necessity if you are an outdoors/dog friendly type. So why does the FJ not come with it :spineyes:? FJ Cruisers scream out Nature, adventure calls, and dogs. :huh: That door is huge, so why not have the tire hang back there as well as a power window?

Has anybody seen a mod that if not just allows the current window to be a power window instead, maybe even a custom fabrication of the door in which a 4Runner trunk door was fabricated to fit the rear?

Where would I start for this if I wanted to make it a project?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Where would you start ?? At your Toyota dealer trading in your FJ for 4Runner..:grin

There is nothing about the stock door design to make it compatible with a power window. To actually have a 4Runner style power window you would need someone like George Barris (custom car builder) to design and build a complete total custom door, even then I doubt it's possible do to the forward angle of the rear window and the cost would be far from practical. Over the years I have had various SUV type vehicles I don't think I have opened the rear window six times on the ones that had opening as an option. I know some owners like having a opening rear window, for me the stock FJ window design is perfect at least it opens and closes with almost zero moving parts which means zero operating headaches. It took decades to get the problems out of the power rear window, I am not sure if they are head ache free today. Not sure what kind of dog you have, but there are very few I can imagine navigating the narrow space of the window past a large tire with a 4 foot drop to the ground. I know it's a lot of work but I just go around back and open the door so rover can come and go easily without scratching the chit out of my vehicle and breaking a leg. If one of your wishes is to have the window as a vent, partly open while driving, a number of members have designed a strut that stays in place of the stock hook and latch allowing the window to stay open a few inches, or if your the fabricator type you may be able to rework the struts in some way to give more opening control... You can use the search function to see how others have made changes. Cheers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do have to say that I love the roll down back window in my tundra, use it all the time.

My FJ, I have had it open a handful of times since 2006.

That isn't to say that the mod with the automatic up and down function and being able to open it to any degree hasn't called my name a time or too. Usually when my wet muddy smelly lab is riding in the back after finding something disgusting to roll around :eek:in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reactions: PurpleGerp

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts